Topics

BIG PROBLEM WITH LANGUAGE! (was: Re: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] 7.5 install: two language choices?)

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 12:26:31, Gilles Paquette <@GdeCP> wrote:
First of all, when you install more than one language, a button (or
buttons) appear at the bottom left corner on the main screen letting
you change language "on the fly".
I installed all of them (why not I thought - they can't take much disc space); four buttons appeared when I ran BK, showing some of them.

I tried clicking one of them, and sure enough, the program switched to that language.

BUT NOW NONE OF THE BUTTONS SAY "English" - SO I CAN'T GET BACK!

I've tried running the installer again, selecting only four languages, including English. But when I run BK again, it comes up (a) still NOT in English, (b) with four buttons that didn't show just the four languages I'd selected.

By using "Everything" with sort by Date, I observed what file was modified when I clicked on one of the buttons: it was C:\Users\Toshiba\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Brother's Keeper 7\BKOPTION.P7 . I edited that (with BK not running), putting Init3 back to ENGLISH.BKW.

Restarting BK, it came up in English (relief!), but said something about some file being the wrong size (that one I think); proceeding, it had lost lots of settings, including which database. When I got it back to the right database, it had lost the recent-people list. I'm gradually getting my settings back.

BUT - I've still got four buttons, none of which says English (in fact they don't show the four languages I selected), so could easily hit them and lose English again.

My main language is evidently French.  As I said, if I get a question
in French about a feature that I can't answer, I look at the wording in
English to post the question on this forum.  All drop down menus point
exactly to the same features, whatever language you have installed.
[]
(I'm still not sure why the installer has _two_ "Select Language(s)" stages.)

Ah - I've cracked the buttons. BK loads buttons from language files in C:\Program Files\Brother's Keeper 7 - I think .bkw ones; reinstalling and only selecting four (or fewer) languages doesn't _delete_ them from there if they've been installed. By moving all but four languages' files to a subdirectory, BK now comes up with just three buttons, based on those files - and if I click one of them, it switches to that language, _and the button switches to English_ - and I can get back.

Need to limit number of languages selectable during install to maximum number of buttons [currently four] (-:! [Perhaps +1.]

Regards, John.

Can a blue man sing the whites?

Gilles Paquette

On my installation, when running BK, it starts in French with the button at the lower left showing English.  When I hit this button, the program goes to English and the button shows Francais = Quebec (accents omited here).  A few years ago I made a test by installing English, French (Quebec) and French (Belgium) and all three languages worked perfectly.  Whern one of the other languages was selected, the corresponding button changed to the other not selected language.

To get rid of the languages you don't need, you have to erase the corresponding .BKW file.  From what I understand, installing the program overwrites existing files, but doesn't erase those that are not needed.  BK searches for all BKW files and uses the fourth line of these files to show the button languages that have been installed.  If you have more than one of course.  With two languages installed, you should have one botton, with more than two you should see one less button than those installed (the current language not showing).

As for the language selection on the blue general installation screen, it should apply only to this.screen (but I never saw a language other than English even with other program intallation).  It should not affect what language you want with BK, this is where the second selection comes in.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 15:08:50, Gilles Paquette <@GdeCP> wrote:
On my installation, when running BK, it starts in French with the
button at the lower left showing English.  When I hit this button, the
program goes to English and the button shows Francais = Quebec (accents
omited here).  A few years ago I made a test by installing English,
French (Quebec) and French (Belgium) and all three languages worked
perfectly.  Whern one of the other languages was selected, the
corresponding button changed to the other not selected language.
Yes, I imagine that's how it is supposed to work.

To get rid of the languages you don't need, you have to erase the
corresponding .BKW file.  From what I understand, installing the
program overwrites existing files, but doesn't erase those that are not
As I discovered (-:!

needed.  BK searches for all BKW files and uses the fourth line of
these files to show the button languages that have been installed.  If
you have more than one of course.  With two languages installed, you
should have one botton, with more than two you should see one less
button than those installed (the current language not showing).
Indeed. Except if you select all the languages, it limits to four buttons, rather than 21 - and the languages appearing on those are the first five .bkw files it finds.

As for the language selection on the blue general installation screen,
it should apply only to this.screen (but I never saw a language other
than English even with other program intallation).  It should not
affect what language you want with BK, this is where the second
selection comes in.
[]
It actually offers a choice of 8, though I've never tried other than English. I'm guessing that choice determines what the rest of the installation process itself uses, perhaps (up to the point where you get the choice of 22 - which I _think_ is new with 7.5, I certainly don't remember seeing it before).

Ask not for whom the bell tolls; let the machine get it

Gilles Paquette

What I meant about the installation wizard is that I never saw another language there even if I choose to get the interface in French.

But whatever language you choose at this point, it has no consequence on the installation of BK.  You choose the language(s) to install when BK asks for it.

But if you don't need another language, there is no point in installing one.  I do because I answer questions on BK on a French forum and because I did the translation in French of John's manual.  But it might get confusing to have all these buttons at the bottom of your screen, as you experienced yourself.

Gilles Paquette

John Steed

When you run the BKSETUP7.EXE install program, the first screen asks what language to use DURING THE INSTALL PROCESS.

That affects the screens in the install program.  It does not affect how the Brother's Keeper program runs.

The Last screen of the install process asks which languages to have available in the BK program.  It installs the .BKW files for each language that you pick.

When you run BK, it will show at most 4 buttons at the bottom for different languages.  However, you can pick any number of languages for BK.  Just pick from the top Help, Change Language, and then you will get a list of ALL the language files, including English and you can pick from that list.  If you have changed to a language you do not understand, pick Help from the top menu (it is the one furthest to the right) then click the Second line down, and that is Change Language.  Then look for English or whatever language you want.

If you want more than 4 languages, it might be less confusing if you turn OFF the language buttons at the bottom of the screen.
Pick Help, Change Language, and near the bottom is an option to show language buttons.  UNcheck that and click OK and you will not see those buttons, but you can use Help, Change Language to change.

John Steed

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 23:27:27, John Steed <@JohnSteed> wrote:
When you run the BKSETUP7.EXE install program, the first screen asks
what language to use DURING THE INSTALL PROCESS.
That affects the screens in the install program.  It does not affect
how the Brother's Keeper program runs.
Ah, understood.

The Last screen of the install process asks which languages to have
available in the BK program.  It installs the .BKW files for each
language that you pick.

When you run BK, it will show at most 4 buttons at the bottom for
different languages.  However, you can pick any number of languages for
BK.  Just pick from the top Help, Change Language, and then you will
get a list of ALL the language files, including English and you can
Ah. I hadn't realised there was another way to change language! I had thought the buttons were the only way. (I think Gilles did too.)
[]
If you want more than 4 languages, it might be less confusing if you
turn OFF the language buttons at the bottom of the screen.
Pick Help, Change Language, and near the bottom is an option to show
language buttons.  UNcheck that and click OK and you will not see those
buttons, but you can use Help, Change Language to change.
Excellent! Thanks. The usual speedy help!
[]
(I _think_ I've recovered all the settings I lost by messing with BKOPTION.P7, but am not sure: do they get backed up? I looked in the backup location, but that particular file wasn't there. Is there another one I can restore that has BK's various settings in it?)

Of course, this show - like every other cop show on earth - massively
overstates the prevalence of violent crime: last year, in the whole of the UK,
police fired their weapons just three times. And there were precisely zero
fatalities. - Vincent Graff in RT, 2014/11/8-14