Topics

abbreviation -- language and Gedcom compatibility

David Choukroun

John, all,

What are the official abbreviations to use that are compatible with the Gedcom format for
  • incomplete dates :  Mr Doe is born in July 2020 :  xx/08/2020 is giving me a bad date format -  ( this is my default format dd/mm/yyyy)
  • after 2020 : /2020 is also giving me a "bad date format" -- I tried After / Aft / Après etc... (I am in French/be language)
  • before 2020 : 2020/ is giving me the " bad date format"  -- I tried Before / Avant etc..
  • between 1990 and 2001 is working fine (after a double click)
  • around 2020 : About 2020 ? autour de ?
  • Others ?
May be I have an issue with the French translations of some keywords that are not compatible with Gedcom format ?

thanks for your guidance
Regards
David

John Steed

Hi

Never spell out the full month name.  Just use 3 letters.

This is valid for English

Jul 2020

Before or After or About use   Bef  Aft   Abt

BK allows Cir for Circa, but GEDCOM does not allow Cir so use Abt

For French use

ENV
AVT
APR

The GEDCOM rules are complicated, but you can find them here:  http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gctoc.htm

John Steed

What are the official abbreviations to use that are compatible with the Gedcom format for
  • incomplete dates :  Mr Doe is born in July 2020 :  xx/08/2020 is giving me a bad date format -  ( this is my default format dd/mm/yyyy)
  • after 2020 : /2020 is also giving me a "bad date format" -- I tried After / Aft / Après etc... (I am in French/be language)
  • before 2020 : 2020/ is giving me the " bad date format"  -- I tried Before / Avant etc..
  • between 1990 and 2001 is working fine (after a double click)
  • around 2020 : About 2020 ? autour de ?
  • Others ?
May be I have an issue with the French translations of some keywords that are not compatible with Gedcom format ?

thanks for your guidance
Regards
David

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 19:49:10, John Steed <@JohnSteed> wrote:
[]
BK allows Cir for Circa, but GEDCOM does not allow Cir so use Abt
[]
Is there in BK: EITHER a "global change all Cir to Abt" function, OR a function (sounds like it should default to on) in the GeDCom export/generation routine that does this when making GeDCom files?

"Bugger," said Pooh, feeling very annoyed.

Barry P.

David,

In addition to what John Steed has helpfully said …

Your examples show inconsistency of style.  It is helpful for the user, the Gedcom format and an audience / reader to use the same style of date format.

See in BK OPTIONs.   I use the 8th option of DDMMMYYY to give me DD-Mmm-YYYY as display and  format.  I do not need to remember what separators I use, or need to use;  those I  have chosen at the beginning.

The GEDCOM style is always, where it can interpret the variations to be  DD MMM YYYY  using character SPACES and Upper-case  3-letter month.

Also you are using ‘Colons’,  ‘spaces’ and ‘forward slash’ characters.  These are not to be mixed  in a date style.  See the BK Options (and Gedcom) allows for the  variations shown there.

Additionally, in an [event  date field] , double clicking will produce options for a proper display and format of [ Date Range. ]

Another complication is an absent day indicator.  It is best to use Abt 01/Mar/1900  where the day of the month is not known.

See ‘Date types’ in the HELP (<F1>.

Another special character is the character  [ @ ] is reserved for the Gedcom use. (and e-Mails addresses.)

The Gedcom was developed in early 1980s by the LDS for their church record transcriptions – remember the IGI?

This was simply a character based  format  in simple character based computers.  That format works, it is a good and easily understood format and machines can handle the  basic events well. (Birth, Marriage , Death).  But we in this world have lots of other things we think we can do, but the  program of old does not know to handle individual expressions.

It is important to know that BK stores the date in a single, particular way.  What we see on the screen is not necessarily used in a Gedcom style.

Some  Over the top help

                Barry P.

Christchurch.

--==--

What are the official abbreviations to use that are compatible with the Gedcom format for

  • incomplete dates :  Mr Doe is born in July 2020 :  xx/08/2020 is giving me a bad date format -  ( this is my default format dd/mm/yyyy)
  • after 2020 : /2020 is also giving me a "bad date format" -- I tried After / Aft / Après etc... (I am in French/be language)
  • before 2020 : 2020/ is giving me the " bad date format"  -- I tried Before / Avant etc..
  • between 1990 and 2001 is working fine (after a double click)
  • around 2020 : About 2020 ? autour de ?
  • Others ?

May be I have an issue with the French translations of some keywords that are not compatible with Gedcom format ?

thanks for your guidance

Regards

David

Barry P.

See under utilities, this option.

                Barry P.

>BK allows Cir for Circa, but GEDCOM does not allow Cir so use Abt

[]

Is there in BK: EITHER a "global change all Cir to Abt" function, OR a function (sounds like it should default to on) in the GeDCom export/generation routine that does this when making GeDCom files?

"Bugger," said Pooh, feeling very annoyed.

David Choukroun

Thanks to all,

I will use the Gedcom's guidelines

Just the case where the day is missing is not accurately reported by abt 01.mm.yy format

In French we are using "courant" mm yy.

David