Topics

7.5 install: two language choices?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Not important - I'm just curious!

Running bksetup7.EXE I've just bought (and downloaded).

It asks me Select Language, with 8 choices. This is presumably what language BK will run in. I select English.

I accept the default Destination Location.

(I get to Select Program Manager Group, where it's suggesting "Brother's Keeper 7". Since I actually want "#genealo.gy\Brother's Keeper 7", I would normally click on #genealogy; most other software would append its own name to the end of that, but I'm used to BK, so I _copied_ "Brother's Keeper 7" _first_, _then_ clicked on #genealogy, then manually added the "\", and pasted.)

Next - this is (I think) new: I now get "Select Languages", with 22 choices. Unlike "Select Language" above, these aren't mutually exclusive - I can select all of them. (English is pre-ticked.)

What is this about? I did RTFM that I'd also downloaded. But I couldn't see anything about the second language selection in the section on installation.

Obviously isn't the running language - that's the first language choice. My next thought is that it gives me lots of accents and so on - but I can get those, via Character Map or (and I recommend!) AllChars. So what is it - new kinds of family relationships etc.?

As I said, just curious! Maybe it'll be obvious when I'm actually running. (One thing others might wonder: if the default of only English is left ticked, can the others be added later?)
--
J. P. Gilliver

Gilles Paquette

To J.P. Gilliver,

When doing a full install, I always choose French (Quebec) and English.

Since I answer question about BK on a french canadian forum, I can easily switch from on language to the other if I don't have the answer and have to go to this english forum.

In fact, you can install as many languages as you wish.  But the information you enter will always be in your own language, the program will not translate "lawyer" to "avocat".

Gilles Paquette

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 10:38:40, Gilles Paquette <@GdeCP> wrote:
To J.P. Gilliver,

When doing a full install, I always choose French (Quebec) and English.

Since I answer question about BK on a french canadian forum, I can
easily switch from on language to the other if I don't have the answer
and have to go to this english forum.

In fact, you can install as many languages as you wish.  But the
information you enter will always be in your own language, the program
will not translate "lawyer" to "avocat".
Gilles Paquette
[]
So it's not a dictionary; I didn't think it was.

When you say you "can easily switch", (a) how do you do that, (b) if you can have more than one language (as clearly you can), what is the purpose of the _first_ language choice (where you can only choose one, and there are only 8 rather than 22 to choose from)?

"We're plumbing shallows we didn't know existed here" - Jeremy Paxman (as
quizmaster of "University Challenge"), 1998 (when losing team suddenly put on a
spurt by showing knowledge of things like the Eurovision Song Contest ...)

Gilles Paquette

Edited

First of all, when you install more than one language, a button (or buttons) appear at the bottom left corner on the main screen letting you change language "on the fly".  When you do install a language, BK saves in the program folder a .BKW file containing all the wording required by this language.  Even if you install only English, a english.bkw file is saved to the folder.  Then the program puts as many language buttons as required, if more than one is actually installed.

My main language is evidently French.  As I said, if I get a question in French about a feature that I can't answer, I look at the wording in English to post the question on this forum.  All drop down menus point exactly to the same features, whatever language you have installed.

Gilles Paquette

Gilles Paquette

Futhermore, if you see accented letters with other languages but can't reproduce them it might be due to the configuration of your keyboard.

And you should NEVER tamper with a .BKW file.  If you add a line or delete one, what follows rest will become out of sync and you will end up with buttons that do not do what's on them, or explanation texts that tell something else than what you would expect.  So NEVER fool around a .BKW file.  Ever.

Gilles Paquette