Topics

Backup option

David Youse

Others have expressed various things that they would like to see changed.  I agree with some but generally, they're just minor annoyances that I can easily work around.

There is one thing, however, that drives me nuts.  When doing a full backup (15,000 individuals, 350+ pictures, 250+ media items) I find that it continuously stops and warns that there's a larger file on fie.

I would love to see an option that would allow me to bypass those warnings beforehand so I could just hit [backup], then sit back and let it do its thing.

David Youse

fixit9660

Yes please! I’d like this option too John S.

Best regards,

Andrew Kendall.

Others have expressed various things that they would like to see changed.  I agree with some but generally, they're just minor annoyances that I can easily work around.

There is one thing, however, that drives me nuts.  When doing a full backup (15,000 individuals, 350+ pictures, 250+ media items) I find that it continuously stops and warns that there's a larger file on fie.

I would love to see an option that would allow me to bypass those warnings beforehand so I could just hit [backup], then sit back and let it do its thing.

David Youse

Otto Jørgensen

I take backup at least once a month and they are all nemed. When having so "many" I alway delete the oldest so there are never more that 4 backup and all are dated. There are no problem

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 01.07.2020 09:23, skrev fixit9660:

Yes please! I'd like this option too John S.

Best regards,

Andrew Kendall.

Others have expressed various things that they would like to see changed.  I agree with some but generally, they're just minor annoyances that I can easily work around.

There is one thing, however, that drives me nuts.  When doing a full backup (15,000 individuals, 350+ pictures, 250+ media items) I find that it continuously stops and warns that there's a larger file on fie.

I would love to see an option that would allow me to bypass those warnings beforehand so I could just hit [backup], then sit back and let it do its thing.

David Youse

Barry P.

Why do you not use file explorer?

Copy / Paste is an easy process.

                Barry P.

Others have expressed various things that they would like to see changed.  I agree with some but generally, they're just minor annoyances that I can easily work around.

There is one thing, however, that drives me nuts.  When doing a full backup (15,000 individuals, 350+ pictures, 250+ media items) I find that it continuously stops and warns that there's a larger file on fie.

I would love to see an option that would allow me to bypass those warnings beforehand so I could just hit [backup], then sit back and let it do its thing.

David Youse

Barry P.

David,

                Unless you really are NOT  backing up to the SAME folder with the same database, there are options to  not  copy / BU files that are already  copied in prior back-ups.

See the Tick boxes here.

Otherwise, look at the offending file and see if anything is amiss.  Is that file a corruption?

You really DO NOT  desire to bypass the  programmed process  because,  there might well in fact be a corruption that could destroy your whole backup.  Or worse.

Have you actually  tested your back-up by  opening it as a database?  Does that file complained of load  without comment?

With Windows <File Explorer> or similar file management  tool, copy / past works easily.

  Barry P.

Yes please! I’d like this option too John S.

Best regards,

Andrew Kendall.

Others have expressed various things that they would like to see changed.  I agree with some but generally, they're just minor annoyances that I can easily work around.

There is one thing, however, that drives me nuts.  When doing a full backup (15,000 individuals, 350+ pictures, 250+ media items) I find that it continuously stops and warns that there's a larger file on fie.

I would love to see an option that would allow me to bypass those warnings beforehand so I could just hit [backup], then sit back and let it do its thing.

David Youse

Otto Jørgensen

All dat, also the dabase of BK and all Picture and all mail and al  Family photo and document etc for the Whole fmily are backup to the sky automatically.

The backup is the first way for the database of BK if something happen to the database. I put thedataback to the same Place on the PC. It a safety for the working base and is easy and rapid.

I use copy and paste moving the Whole database from PC to PC as I have several in use for different reason. When I have education for New users I use a Laptop and then I cioy the DATA and subfolder from my main PC to the Laptop. In that situation the Copy/paste With MemoryStick is the most easy.

Bu when i tell the users to take backup we use the USBstick and the routine of BK and learn then to take 3-4 backupm regular.

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 01.07.2020 10:26, skrev Barry P.:

Why do you not use file explorer?

Copy / Paste is an easy process.

                Barry P.

Others have expressed various things that they would like to see changed.  I agree with some but generally, they're just minor annoyances that I can easily work around.

There is one thing, however, that drives me nuts.  When doing a full backup (15,000 individuals, 350+ pictures, 250+ media items) I find that it continuously stops and warns that there's a larger file on fie.

I would love to see an option that would allow me to bypass those warnings beforehand so I could just hit [backup], then sit back and let it do its thing.

David Youse

Otto Jørgensen

I do not use the last option.

The memorystcik are so large, that even many photoes do not give any placeproblem

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 01.07.2020 10:39, skrev Barry P.:

[...]

JEFF

All my BK folders are off the root (C:) directory (folder). I right click on the Stewart folder (C:\stewart) and compress it. It puts stewart.zip on the desktop. I backup the zip file.

Otto Jørgensen

All data is on the PC, but all important datafolder are automatical synchronized to a skydriver.

---
hilsen/regards Otto -#-

Den 01.07.2020 15:19, skrev JEFF:

All my BK folders are off the root (C:) directory (folder). I right click on the Stewart folder (C:\stewart) and compress it. It puts stewart.zip on the desktop. I backup the zip file.

Jan Schefers

Hi,

I am doing nearly the same but in an semi-automated way..

For that I use an own VisualBasic script which copies the contents of the BK backup directory into a new directory. That new directory gets the current date/time as its name and lays on my network drive (but can also be on an external drive or "cloud").
Backups of the next to last month will be presented for deletion but I can keep them longer if I wish.

Would be nice if a similiar functionality (e.g. keeping more than one backup) could be integrated into BK...

Regards,
Jan