Topics

Indented Report index in LibreOffice

Jeff Dixon

I'm trying to incorporate a BK 'Indented Report' in a LibreOffice document and am having trouble with the index.

I generated the Indented Report in BK with the box  "Create 2 part index (last name on separate line)"  checked.  But the index in LibreOffice is printing the last name on every entry, same line as first name (with no space between last/first name).

AdamsLogan Joseph Xavier (b. 2017) ..55

AdamsLora ...........................................42

AdamsLouise ........................................59

AdamsSarah E. (b. 1857) ......................98

AdkinsCourtney Nicole (b. 1988) ...........57

AdkinsRonald ........................................57

AlanBritteny Ann (b. 1988) ....................66

AlanRobert (b. 1966) ............................66

Is anyone in the group familiar with LibreOffice and know what I need to do to get the last names on separate line in the index?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jeff DIxon

Vicki L.

Would love to have an answer to this. I try printing rtf Register Reports with LibreOffice and it messes up the indents. Finally gave up several years ago and now use an old version of Word, which formats it exactly right. Was not worth the wasted time trying to make LibreOffice interpret the rtf file correctly. So I'd say it's not a new problem, and the problem appears to be with LibreOffice.

Vicki

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 07:10:58 PM CDT, Jeff Dixon via groups.io <jhdixon@...> wrote:

I'm trying to incorporate a BK 'Indented Report' in a LibreOffice document and am having trouble with the index.

I generated the Indented Report in BK with the box  "Create 2 part index (last name on separate line)"  checked.  But the index in LibreOffice is printing the last name on every entry, same line as first name (with no space between last/first name).

Is anyone in the group familiar with LibreOffice and know what I need to do to get the last names on separate line in the index?

Jeff DIxon

John Steed

To Jeff Dixon and Vicki L

I have not tested the BK RTF files with LibreOffice.

I suggest you make an RTF file for Word, and import it into some version of Word, and then save it as a DOC file and then load the DOC file into LibreOffice

John Steed

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> on behalf of Jeff Dixon via groups.io <jhdixon@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2020 12:10 AM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io>
Subject: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Indented Report index in LibreOffice

Jeff DIxon

Jim Dell

Jeff

After you are in Libre Office how do you get it to show the index?

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Dixon via groups.io
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 8:11 PM
To: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io
Subject: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Indented Report index in LibreOffice

Jeff DIxon

Gilles Paquette

Hi,

My main office suite is LibreOffice and I never encountered any problem generating an index from an RTF file created with BK.  The index created with LO is as Jeff wants it: family name on one line followed by indented first names and page numbers on following lines.  I don't have that Create 2 part index (last name on separate line) with a check box, I'm using the latest version of BK on a Win10 PC.

Gilles Paquette

Gilles Paquette

Hi again,

Sorry, since I use the French (Quebec) version, I didn't see that line Create 2 part index (last name on separate line).  It IS checked in my case and it works OK.

To Jim, i'll try to translate from French what I use in LO to create the index.  Once the RTF file is opened in LO, go to the end of your document and hit Ctrl-Enter to create a new page where your index will start.  Then go to Insert, then Index and Tables.  In the new window, choose the second option Index and tables.  In the larger window, choose the second Type: Lexical index[?].  Before you hit the OK button, if you want to eventually edit manually your index, uncheck the box to protect from manual modification.

Hope my translation is OK and helps.

Gilles Paquette

Jeff Dixon

Vicki, and John

I am looking into using Word and then opening the DOC file with LibreOffice.  (my wife thinks she has Word on an old machine).  Will let you know.

Jim, 

To add the index in LO, click on 'Insert' tab and then on 'Table of Content and Index' in the drop down.

Giles,

I am using BK V7.5.0.  In the 'Indented Report' screen, 'RTF Options' tab.  The 'Create 2 part index' box is near the bottom.

Thank you all. 
Jeff

Jim Dell

Gillles

Does your index look like this

A

Adkins

Kimberly Lynn, 7

Truman, 7

Anderson

Annabella Victoria, 8

Brian Joseph, 7, 8

Debbie Ann, 8

Harold M., 7

Kevin Vincent, 7, 8

Molly Kristen, 7, 8

Terry J., 7

This is from Word 2019.

Or like this from LibreOffice

AdkinsKimberly Lynn 7

AdkinsTruman  7

AndersonAnnabella Victoria 8

AndersonBrian Joseph 6, 8

AndersonDebbie Ann  7

AndersonHarold M.  6

AndersonKevin Vincent 6, 8

AndersonMolly Kristen 6, 8

AndersonTerry J.

Two problems with the LibreOffice one

1. No space between surname & given
  2. Double spacing

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gilles Paquette
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2020 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [BrothersKeeperGenealogy] Indented Report index in LibreOffice

Hi again,

Sorry, since I use the French (Quebec) version, I didn't see that line Create 2 part index (last name on separate line).  It IS checked in my case and it works OK.

To Jim, i'll try to translate from French what I use in LO to create the index.  Once the RTF file is opened in LO, go to the end of your document and hit Ctrl-Enter to create a new page where your index will start.  Then go to Insert, then Index and Tables.  In the new window, choose the second option Index and tables.  In the larger window, choose the second Type: Lexical index[?].  Before you hit the OK button, if you want to eventually edit manually your index, uncheck the box to protect from manual modification.

Hope my translation is OK and helps.

Gilles Paquette

Gilles Paquette

Edited

Jim,

It looks like the example from Word 2019: surname, then given name with page number, alphabetically and indented.  I choose to put the page number at the end of the line with dots in between.  On the RTF option tab, I kept Microsoft Word for the word processor even if I work with LO.

I've never had something like your second example.

Jeff Dixon

To Jim Dell,

Yes, that is exactly my issue.

A
Adkins
Kimberly Lynn, 7
Truman, 7
Anderson
Annabella Victoria, 8
Brian Joseph, 7, 8
Debbie Ann, 8
Harold M., 7
Kevin Vincent, 7, 8
Molly Kristen, 7, 8
Terry J., 7

This is from Word 2019.

AdkinsKimberly Lynn 7
AdkinsTruman  7
AndersonDebbie Ann  7
AndersonHarold M.  6
AndersonTerry J.
  2. Double spacing

Jim Dell

Gilles

Can you give us step by step instructions starting with inserting a page break and insert the index?

What check boxes are checked?

I looked back at Jeff message and he has the same problem with the surname and given not being separated.

Also it looks like somebody had to problem with LibreOffice back in 2016 see

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/77273/opening-rtf-with-index-inclusing-subkeys-fails/

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gilles Paquette
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2020 6:16 PM

Jim,

It looks like the example from Word 2019: surname, then given name with page number, alphabetically and indented.  I choose to put the page number at the end of the line with dots in between.  On the RTF option tab, I kept Microsoft Word for the word processor even if I work with LO.  See the attachment showing how it comes out for me.

Jim Dell

Jeff

What version of LibreOffice are you using?

Just noticed a new version 6.4.3.2 is available.

Downloading it and installing now to see if anything changes.

Jim

From: BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io <BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Dixon via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2020 6:33 PM

To Jim Dell,

Yes, that is exactly my issue.

A

Adkins

Kimberly Lynn, 7

Truman, 7

Anderson

Annabella Victoria, 8

Brian Joseph, 7, 8

Debbie Ann, 8

Harold M., 7

Kevin Vincent, 7, 8

Molly Kristen, 7, 8

Terry J., 7

This is from Word 2019.

AdkinsKimberly Lynn 7

AdkinsTruman  7

AndersonDebbie Ann  7

AndersonHarold M.  6

AndersonTerry J.

2. Double spacing

Gilles Paquette

Sorry.  I use OpenOffice (4.1.6), not LibreOffice.

Might this make a difference?

Jim Dell

Gilles

Big Difference.

Two different suites with different developers.

As a side note LibreOffice was created by a group of developers that originally worked on OpenOffice to protest the ownership of OpenOffice by some company.

Jim

Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2020 7:52 PM

Sorry.  I use OpenOffice (4.1.6), not LibreOffice.

Might this make a difference?

Gilles Paquette

So this is why I didn't get the bad results some of you experienced.

Then disregard all what I said about LO.  It applies to OO.

Sorry again.

Gilles

Jim Dell

Gilles

No problem.

Got to pay attention to small details, like program name and version;-)

Jim

Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2020 8:25 PM

So this is why I didn't get the bad results some of you experienced.

Then disregard all what I said about LO.  It applies to OO.

Sorry again.

Gilles

Jeff Dixon

Jim,

My LibreOffice is 6.4.3.2
I updated just before starting this book project.

Jim Dell

Jeff
Didn’t make any difference for me
Was able get it single space by checking box in the edit index dialog but not in front of my pc right now so I can’t tell exact name and tab
Jim

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 8:43 PM Jeff Dixon via groups.io <jhdixon=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jim,

My LibreOffice is 6.4.3.2
I updated just before starting this book project.

--

Jeff Dixon

John Steed's advice was correct.

My wife had an old version of Word on an old computer.  When I opened the BK RTF file in Word, it generated the correct index.

While researching this issue I did several Google searches and many results mentioned that a document created or modified on LibreOffice will sometimes not display the same when opened in Word.  I found this to also be true with the modifications I made to my report.  (the report I updated in Word displays just fine when opened with LibreOffice).

Since I plan to give this report to a print shop to generate my books, and most likely the print shop will use Word, I have decided to create the book in Word on my wife's old (slow) computer.   Besides the Descendant report, the book will have pages of photos and family stories (about 150 pages).  I create this every 5 years for my maternal grandparent's descendants.   I can't see paying $100 a year for software I only use once every 5 years.  (BK is such a bargain).

Thanks to all that looked into this for me.
Jeff

Jim Dell

Gilles
You have both OpenOffice & LibreOffice?

Jim

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 12:20 AM Gilles Paquette <gdecpaquette@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Jim,

It looks like the example from Word 2019: surname, then given name with page number, alphabetically and indented.  I choose to put the page number at the end of the line with dots in between.  On the RTF option tab, I kept Microsoft Word for the word processor even if I work with LO.

--