Re: Problem with using pdf995

J. P. Gilliver (John)

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 12:57:45, Charles Dobie <cdobie@...> wrote:
John, thanks for your response.

Yes, I downloaded the ghostscript converter at the same time as pdf995, but when I print a file, it asks me every time if I want the second part, and every time I click OK.
Hmm. So you've got pdf995s.exe (the driver) and ps2pdf995.exe (the converter). Since both are .exe, I presume they're installers. (Sorry, it's a while since I installed it, so I've forgotten the details!) Run the converter .exe, and see what happens, in particular making note of where it puts anything relevant.

From the FAQ: "The default configuration of Pdf995 uses the registered Postscript to PDF converter on your system, but you may choose to have the program use the GPL Conversion module we offer as a free download. The GPL Conversion module includes a partial version of GNU Ghostscript." So it expects to find a converter on your system. If, when you try to use it, it offers to get the converter but also offers to use something on your system, choose that option, and - when it says it can't find it - point it to where the converter installed itself. (Or, if it only looks in one place, run the converter installer again, but specify that place for it to put itself.)

Sorry to be so woolly! Maybe one of the other '995 enthusiasts can remember what happens better. (Or, I'll TeamViewer you?) It's just that once it's working, it's so trivial to use!

I entered the full path/file name into the "save as" dialogue, but for some reason the file doesn't appear there. I'm sure it's a typing error
So you're entering something like D:\folder\filename into the "File name" box, rather than finding the desired location by clicking on the icons in the panes and/or editing the location in the box at the top. That should still work, though. A thought - you've come from another OS, so maybe are used to using / rather than \? That might be it. (I've never known why MS use the backslash, right back to DOS days!)

on my part. On the other hand, the fact that it can't ever find the second part is strange.
I think you have to run it (ps2pdf995.exe), so that it unpacks and installs itself somewhere, not just download it: the driver is trying to find one of those files, not the installer. Sorry if you've already done that.

Anyway, I've got to get off my butt and go outside to enjoy the sunny weather, and offer my body as a sacrifice to the swarms of blackflies :-)
(-: - it's sunny and warm here too! (Kent, SE England.)

By most scientific estimates sustained, useful fusion is ten years in
the future - and will be ten years in the future for the next fifty
years or more. - "Hamadryad", ~2016-4-4

Join BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.