Re: naming conventions

Lynn Detwiler

In the endogamous Pennsylvania Dutch community in Central Pennsylvania where my father was born, this was fairly common for men, although I think it was often just an initial which has been expanded to the full mother's maiden name by later recorders.  At least my grandfather always said he had only a middle initial, not a middle name.  Local newspapers always included the men's middle initials in news reports.

Many large families descended from a small number of early settlers led to lots of intermarriage and double cousin relationships.  If I keep looking I can often find triple and quadruple cousin relationships with my DNA matches.

Lynn

On 3/15/2020 7:14 PM, David Youse wrote:
I'e been going through quite a few Find-A-Grave records and I've noticed that a large number (most) cases of 18th and 19th century names include the individual's first and last names and add the individual's mother's maiden name as a middle name.

for instance:

Husband   John Jones
Wife          Mary Smith
Child       James SMITH Jones
Child        Mary Jane SMITH Jones

Was this a common way of naming at the time?  Or has it simply been done on genealogical type records and references to make it easier to track lineage?

This naming convention was NOT done by any of my ancestors.

Join BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.