Re: naming conventions

Fran L

I am finding that mother's maiden name was used in the early-mid 1800's in parts of England as a second name; which helps in finding the marriage of parents.     Also discovered that on some "out of wedlock" births the father's surname was used as a middle name for the child.  I discovered this with my own g-grandfather and his siblings.

Fran L

On 15/03/2020 10:14 p.m., David Youse wrote:
I'e been going through quite a few Find-A-Grave records and I've noticed that a large number (most) cases of 18th and 19th century names include the individual's first and last names and add the individual's mother's maiden name as a middle name.

for instance:

Husband   John Jones
Wife          Mary Smith
Child       James SMITH Jones
Child        Mary Jane SMITH Jones

Was this a common way of naming at the time?  Or has it simply been done on genealogical type records and references to make it easier to track lineage?

This naming convention was NOT done by any of my ancestors.

Join BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.