Re: naming conventions

Dale H. Cook

On 3/15/2020 10:14 PM, David Youse wrote:

I'e been going through quite a few Find-A-Grave records and I've noticed that a large number (most) cases of 18th and 19th century names include the individual's first and last names and add the individual's mother's maiden name as a middle name.
David -

Are you seeing that in the photographs of gravestones or just in the Find-A-Grave text? The text at Find-A-Grave is generally best ignored. As is common in user-provided information at other large genealogy sites such as Ancestry, FamilySearch, and Geni, that information is uncurated and frequently wrong. Many users, for some reason, want to attribute fictional middle names even in the years before middle names were common. I guess that is what Elizabeth Shown Miss called "presentitis" in "Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace", Third Edition (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 2015).
--
Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS, AGS, MA Soc. of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project

Join BrothersKeeperGenealogy@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.