#covid Breakthrough cases #covid

Suzanne Lainson

This is an important article if you are wondering how protected you are with vaccinations. Vaccinations are the best protection we have and everyone who can get vaccinated should get vaccinated. But we need to take additional precautions. I want to get a booster, but other than my age (nearly 73) I don’t qualify yet. I will be first in line as soon as it is available to me.

Hi Suzanne and BMW friends,

This question is for everyone (not just Suzanne).

How do you find out if you are eligible for a booster? I have an autoimmune disease and therefore a compromised immune system. But I have no idea what this means for getting the booster sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know about any guidelines being posted?

A dear friend, who has two autoimmune diseases, went to her pharmacy on Sunday and asked for a booster. They asked if she had a compromised immune system. She said yes. They didn’t ask for proof. She got her shot.

I am wondering if her experience is an anomaly…or if there is a way for other people with compromised immune systems to get in line sooner.

Linda Tate

On Aug 17, 2021, at 9:32 PM, Suzanne Lainson via groups.io <slainson@...> wrote:

 This is an important article if you are wondering how protected you are with vaccinations. Vaccinations are the best protection we have and everyone who can get vaccinated should get vaccinated. But we need to take additional precautions. I want to get a booster, but other than my age (nearly 73) I don’t qualify yet. I will be first in line as soon as it is available to me.

Suzanne Lainson

Someone in California, who has MS, went to his pharmacy, told them his medicine makes him compromised and he got the booster.

Two people in Georgia got their boosters. I don’t know how they might be compromised, but they are older than I am.

It sounds like if you have reason to believe your immune system is compromised, you can go to any place vaccinating people and can get a booster easily.

On Aug 17, 2021, at 9:46 PM, Linda Tate <linda@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Suzanne. This anecdotal evidence is encouraging. I will try calling tomorrow. All they can tell me is no, right?

Linda Tate

On Aug 17, 2021, at 9:53 PM, Suzanne Lainson via groups.io <slainson@...> wrote:

[...]

Carol Guerrero-Murphy

We were able to schedule booster for my husband at cvs, self referral for immunocompromised folks.

On Aug 17, 2021, at 9:32 PM, Suzanne Lainson via groups.io <slainson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

 This is an important article if you are wondering how protected you are with vaccinations. Vaccinations are the best protection we have and everyone who can get vaccinated should get vaccinated. But we need to take additional precautions. I want to get a booster, but other than my age (nearly 73) I don’t qualify yet. I will be first in line as soon as it is available to me.

bdarling

Thanks for this illuminating article, Suzanne. My sister lives in S. CA and her 33-year-old vaccinated son (also in S. CA) got Covid last week, and was sick enough to go to the ER twice and is still recovering. Plus, my sister has friends who are a couple and both hubby and wife (also vaccinated) got Covid. I talked to a local nurse yesterday who had recent conversations with other CO nurses who told her that they were already turning away patients at their CO hospitals due to Covid, and were exhauted. Our poor healthcare workers.
Stay healthy, everyone!
Barbara Darling

Rosie Piller

A couple of things:

If you are immunocompromised, it appears that you can walk into a Walgreens and get a booster shot. That's what I heard on the Walgreens outgoing message, and it appears to be confirmed on their website (https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/covid-vaccine.jsp?ban=covid_vaccine_vanity#guidlines).

Regarding David Wallace-Wells' article: I confess that I did not have the patience to read through the whole thing, but I did notice that in the introductory section, he falls victim to the base rate fallacy. (This is a concept I learned about in Aaron Blake's recent article on how vaccine skeptics were misusing Israel's data on vaccine breakthroughs: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/07/19/vaccine-skeptics-zero-israel-again-some-reason/) As an example, Wallace-Wells writes that "In Delaware, between July 1 and July 22, 'breakthrough' cases were 13.8 percent of the total." He fails to take into account the percentage of the population that was vaccinated. Please read Aaron Blake's article to understand why this is misleading.

Since I didn't finish the Wallace-Wells article, and since I'm not an epidemiologist, I can't speak to the veracity of the rest of his message. But I was disappointed that he made such a basic mistake in reporting the data. :-(

Rosie

Suzanne Lainson

What I took from the article (and I read it all) is that even though you are vaccinated, you now need to return to masking, not just to protect the unvaccinated, but also to protect yourself. Everyone who can get vaccinated should get vaccinated because it is the best protection we have at the moment. But some vaccinated people are still catching Covid and in some cases getting sick from it. (My fear has always been long Covid, rather than landing in the hospital, and now we learn that some vaccinated people are getting lingering symptoms.)

So now I am less complacent than I was. I’m wearing a mask again when I go into a store, the library, or the post office. Not to protect the unvaccinated, but to further reduce my odds of an infection. I think my risks are still low, but now I know they are still high enough that I can’t assume the vaccination was enough. And as soon as I can get the booster, I will. I am not autoimmune as far as I know, but I will turn 73 in six weeks so that is reason enough to get the booster as soon as I can.

Suzanne

Suzanne Lainson

Here are two very recent articles about Israel and about breakthrough cases.

“A fourth wave of infections is rapidly approaching the levels of Israel’s worst days of the pandemic last winter. The daily rate of confirmed new virus cases has more than doubled in the last two weeks, making Israel a rising hot spot on the international charts.”

Breakthrough infections in vaccinated people accounted for at least one in five newly diagnosed cases in six of those states and higher percentages of total hospitalizations and deaths than had been previously observed in all of them, according to figures gathered by The New York Times.

The absolute numbers remain very low, however, and there is little doubt that the vaccines remain powerfully protective. This continues to be “a pandemic of the unvaccinated,” as federal health officials have often said.

Suzanne Lainson

This came to me a few hours ago as an email.

Breaking news:
Eligible customers can now receive a free additional dose* of Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at any Safeway pharmacy.

The CDC recommends an additional dose of the COVID-19 vaccine* for moderate to severe immunocompromised individuals who meet the eligibility criteria and have completed the two-shot series from Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.

Check to see if you are eligible, then schedule an appointment or walk in at any of our pharmacies today.

Robin Enright Salcido <robin.enright@...>

These boosters are advised after you've been fully vaccinated for eight months. See below NPR article. For many of us that is not until the fall.

COVID booster shots are coming. Here’s what you need to know.
If all goes to plan, Americans who got Pfizer or Moderna shots can get a third dose eight months after their last jab. Here's why health officials think you'll need one.

Read in NPR: https://apple.news/AoNL35U57QaOFB56Sx7irkA

--
Robin Enright Salcido
Writer, Photographer, Podcast Host

Follow me on Facebook

 Changing the narrative on women and aging one story at a time.

Suzanne Lainson

“These boosters are advised after you've been fully vaccinated for eight months. See below NPR article. For many of us that is not until the fall.”

Yes, but those who are immunocompromised are getting them now. Apparently if you feel you fall into that category, you can go to Safeway or Walgreens, tell them that, and probably don’t have to prove your health status. While I am almost 73, I don’t think I am I immunocompromised, so I will likely wait. I do know that when I go in for my annual flu shot, my age qualifies me for the stronger dose.

With the eight month roll out, those who got the vaccinations first, like health care workers and nursing home residents, will get the boosters first. That makes logical sense.

My potential exposure to Covid is low. I am back to wearing a mask when running errands indoors. But other than that, there probably isn’t an urgency for me to jump ahead. If I were going to do airline travel, I would be tempted to seek out a booster now.

Suzanne

Suzanne Lainson

ahcarlady

Are there reasons not to get a booster?  Is there such a thing as being over-vaccinated?

Marian Thier

3180 Westwood Court
Boulder, CO 80304
303-378-9439

On Aug 19, 2021, at 9:58 AM, Suzanne Lainson <slainson@...> wrote:

--
Marian Thier

Suzanne Lainson

From what I gave read, each exposure you get to Covid boosts your immunity, so you won’t risk problems by getting a booster.

And I just heard from a pharmacist. She said so much vaccine is currently being wasted that we should go ahead and get the booster even if we aren’t immunocompromised.

Suzanne

Carol Guerrero-Murphy

Thanks for this. We elders are frequently noted as one example of being among the most vulnerable but I also want to call attention to the littles who cannot yet receive vaccines. I am so scared of exposing my 2 month old granddaughter. Much new info coming out on this topic now.