Topics

Bewegungskrieg v1.2 Updates

Peter F Model

After a significant gap, due to my focus on Corps Commander and Korps Commander, I have redone my reformatted version of the original LWRS rules. I will continue to edit this for a while before moving onto the next version, which will include optional rules, diagrams and more extensive cross-referencing. As my primary focus is still Corps Commander this will take a while, but this version allows players to play this excellent game system. New army lists, QRS, etc will come after i have completed v2.x.

Peter F Model

I was asked where the rules are located on this site, so in case anyone else has a similar question, select the "Files" option on the left. You will see two folders, Bewegungskrieg v1.2 and Bewegungskrieg v3.1. Strangely enough the most current version is v1.2 (more on that later). If you select that folder you will see the pdf copy of the rules.

Why v1.2, after spending effort in creating a set of full detailed rules which would allow players to easily learn the game, I discovered my latest version, v3.1, was not suitable for the actual playing of a game. I discovered the same with my updates of Corps Commander and Korps Commander. I have decided the best course of action is to go back to basics.

Coupled with this I was unhappy with a number of the modifications I placed into v3.1. I had major issues with army lists. Because vehicles values changed with the period being played, I ended up have a very complex points system. Thus a PzKfw IVG could have two values, depending if it was late war or mid war period. While manageable with WWII, this became totally unmanageable with modern period. As a result I put in mods into the rules to avoid this, which ended up causing more problems than it solved.  The other problem was the actual strengths of the elements, in the real world different nations had vastly different element sizes. To cater for this I expanded the 3 step, you are eliminated rules in the original game to cater for cater for elements of between 1 step to 5 steps. While there was no game mechanics affected, it made the game more difficult to play because you had to remember how many steps exist in each element. As a result I also returned back to basic concerning the rules themselves.

 Bewegungskrieg v1.2 is the original rules, reformatted, and with any unclear rules clarified. My issue with learning the game will be resolved by the creation of an Examples document, which is where all examples and diagrams are contained. Players who want to learn the rules can use this document to do so. I did the same with my rewrite of Corps Commander / Korps Commander and it is working well. Experiences players use the “core” rules (mostly 3 column format to keep the size small) and when a question comes up they can refer to the examples document. I also created a set of utube video’s providing detailed training for anyone who wished to learn CC/KC. I will do the same with Bewegungskrieg (LWRS). That should solve the “How to learn the rules issue”.

As for army lists, I am currently working on an expanded set of army lists for the modern period, initially for Corps Commander, but once complete my spread sheet will allow for a Bewegungskrieg (LWRS) version as well. While working on this I have devised how to deal with the changing values by period issue. Each vehicle will be given a DEF and a FE value, based on Corps Commander and FFT. This will be a number from 0 to 20. Soft targets will have a DEF value of Soft. Depending on the period being played the values to obtain an L, M, H or X value will be listed, so for WWII a Pzkfw IV G with a DEF of 6 may be Medium in mid war and Light in late war. Players will need to increase the points total for a later period game, compared with an early period, but that can also be listed in the scenario details. As for my variable company size army list issue, I am going to rework all my army lists so they are battalion based. (Got the idea from FFT). A Battalion will have a list of vehicles, artillery or infantry, with a step value against each of them. Thus value is divided by three, to give you the number of elements. Left over steps will result in an element with a corresponding loss. Thus a Battalion with 10 steps of PzKfz IVG will result in 4 elements, with two losses counted against the battalion for that element type.

I still have an issue with mixed battalions, especially with heavy weapons companies. But for now I will need to live with that. When I start creating updated version of Bewegungskrieg, v2+, I will deal with that. My current thoughts are to use the Panzer Korps System – but this will depend on play testing. I would not expect many changes, only areas which I consider an annoying issue.

So, once I have updated my modern period equipment lists and army lists I will be posting those on this web site. They will be fully compatible with the original LWRS v3.1, as well as Bewegungskrieg v1.2 (which should be identical). I will throw in a few basic scenarios. This will take a while as I am first creating a universal equipment lists and army lists, which can be used to output equipment lists and army lists for a number of rules. This initially will be for Corps Commander/Korps Commander, then for Bewegungskrieg and later for FFT and Spearhead. Doing it this way means there is more up-front work, but it becomes easier to create army lists, equipment lists and scenarios for any set of rules at the back end.

Now, why did I keep Bewegungskrieg v3.1 on this site, mainly because this document, which containing a lot of modifications, also contains lots of diagrams and examples. Once I create my Examples and training videos for Bewegungskrieg v1.2 this will be removed.

Peter F Model

I have posted my first version of an equipment data charts for LWRS/Bewegungskrieg. As indicated earlier I will be creating a full set of equipment, army lists, scenarios and training material for the original rules before i venture into any modifications.
The equipment data charts are based on a universal set of equipment data charts for a number of different rules, such as Corps Commander. As a result some entries may not make much sense, such as multiple entries for vehicles which underwent updates for feature not reflected in the rules. I have broken up the lists into 7 periods, each a decade. This starts from the 1950's and ends at 2015. I am certain i will have to go back and do some modifications, buts i have tried to to keep Extreme weapons (Grade 4) to a very small number of vehicle, more for Grade 3 and a lot more for Grade 1 and 2.
I suspect when i do some modifications i may need to create a create a special Very Light grade, as grouping M3 HT's with rather heavily armed MICV may be not realistic. Players may class really low armour values as Soft if they wish.
While not part of the game, i have indicated spaces and other advanced armour features with a "s" and "c". The rules build some of this into the basic mechanics, but in many cases the rules do not cater for these unique armour features. Players may decide to made a Grade 3 armour with "c" a Grade 4 instead. However this makes the vehicle more resistant to "AP" round than expected, so beware. The same applies with guns. a "h" indicates a HEAT round, which should be affected by spaced or chogham armour - players can experiment by reducing a guns grade by 1 if HEAT facing Spaced and two if HEAT facing Chogham.
These lists only cover modern, so all scales are 1 cm = 200 m. For aa i have listed the actual range, but players can use the ranges in the rules if they wish instead.

Peter F Model

While working on my "Example" training document for the original rules i discovered a number of typo's in my reformatted version of the rules. The errors were all related to the numbering and have been corrected. I have also marked all duplicated rules in "red". In my reformatted version of the rules i have created a number of charts and tables from the original rules. While these do not represent any changes to the original LWRS, they represents additional text in the rules and have been indicated with dark red print. This will not show up if you print in B/W. Players can verify if my duplicated rules are correct if they view the pdf, most commonly using an ipad - or similar. I find having a pdf version of any rules on an ipad is very useful as its possible to search the rules quickly during a game. You can do this with the original LWRS pdf rules as well.

Peter F Model

I have posted my Part 5: EXAMPLES document. This contains examples, in the form of diagrams, for most game activities. I will expand this in the future to include NBC and helicopters, but for now this should assist players in learning the rules. Its organised using the same case system as the RULES, so if anyone has a questions during a game they can go direcvtly to the corresponding Case in the EXAMPLES document.

Now i am starting on the army lists.

Peter F Model

I have posted my preliminary Part 2: Basic Organisation 1950-2015 file. This is work in progress and is far from complete. It has only been posted in this form for any feedback from those members assisting me with the army lists. When a final usable version is posted i shall let everyone know.

Peter F Model

I have made some minor additions to the rules to accommodate my army lists. In my army lists i have include headquarters company troops, which represent signal, guards, command staff, etc. They are all armed and during wwii, on the eastern front, they were often involved in defending their headquarters, but are otherwise not intended to fight in a front line position. Players can choose to simply ignore them, assuming they can never take part in any combat. If player decide to include them i am assuming they are grade 1 infantry which must always remain attached their their headquarters.
I have also made some additions concerning aircraft and helicopters, such as assuming each aircraft or helicopter element/figure represents 15 aircraft/helicopters. I have also added an option rule, when aircraft or helicopters spin a "1" and are removed, they may come back the next day with a 1 step loss (as per any other element). After 3 losses, they are removed permanently. This only has an effect if playing a multi-day game. Unlike the original rules the points value for the aircraft or helicopters is for the entire game, which would at least cover 2 days. Players can halve the cost and pay for this for each day of play, as per the original rules, if they wish.
Aircraft availability is rather interesting, for example, the US had about 12 squadrons available to support their ground forces (each squadron would represent 1  aircraft)  for their entire corp. Perhaps 3-6 divisions, the higher total once the reforger stuff was activated. This means a division would expect to have an average of about 2-4 aircraft each in a game?. Perhaps more accurately from 1 to 6 aircraft each.
The army lists goes into aircraft type. As per the original rules there is no difference between aircraft type. This level of detail has only been included to cater for future enhancements. This may affect points, as the points used are based on a much more detailed set of rules, thus a F-15 has a higher points value than a F-4. But as long as players select what was historically available, game balance should be retained.

Peter F Model

My first version of a Army Lists has been created and posted. I am not 100% happy as attempting to ram the complexity of real life into the current game system has proved to be more difficult than i original though. What i have provided is a list of actual equipment within each combat unit, along with steps (remember, each element has 3 steps). Players can easily divide the steps into elements, but they will also notice combat units end up with a lot of 1-2 step elements. The rules mechanics allows this, but it is a bit messy. I have suggested player merge these "steps" into full strength elements where it makes sense. This means players will need to perform this each time they create an army, which is unfortunate. I could of done this in the lists, but i think it best if each player does this based on their own knowledge of an army. I also plan on enhancing the rules in the future which allow me to use these 1-2 step elements - perhaps as per panzer korps. The only other comment is i am only focusing on 1980 to 1989. I wanted to cover other periods, but it ended up being too much work at this stage. I want to now use these lists to create scenario's first. If i find any problems i can modify the list accordingly. Once i am happy i can then expand out to other periods, such as 1950-1970's cold war, or Arab-Israel wars.

Peter F Model

I have posted my first version of a cheat sheet. The first two pages are the most important and i am trying to put what is necessary in them to play a game. The other two pages are less important charts.
I have found a number of typos in the rules, which have been corrected (these are my typos, one is a rather significant error in my interpretation of the original rules). I have identified what i think may be typo's in the original rules and corrected - these are listed under errata, at the rear of the rules. Players can determine if i am correct or not based on this lists.
The optional rules are all optional, but they do not represent any major changes. Many are filling in what i think may be gaps, such as what happens when artillery is engaged in close combat.

Peter F Model

I have made a minor correction to the rules and cheat sheet. Case [15.2.2]. Page 24, under "Actions". 1st paragraph, has always been a source of confusion. It can be read two ways, the x2 and x3 modifiers are either exclusive or inclusive - or you only get the x3 modifier if on a road and further than 30 cm from the enemy at all times, or you get it if you are more than 30 cm away from enemy at all times and if you are also on the road you get an additional x2. My previous version took the conservative approach, mutually exclusive, however this means artillery move much slower than any other troop type on roads. Based on Case [8.4], where normal troops get x2 for roads and x3 for manoeuvre stance, with a maximum of x6 allowed, i have decided the artillery movement modifiers must also be inclusive. This allows them to move reasonably fast, or 6 x 6 cm = 36 cm on road and 30 cm or further from enemy troops.

Peter F Model

I have posted a game-turn Track for all the standard regions and seasons. It only covers 2 days, which is a reasonable game length. My scenarios are all based on a 2 day game-length, day one is the attacker advancing and day 2 is the counter attack.
A number of minor typo's have been corrected in the Army Lists and this has also been posted. (I had an error with the points value for Grade 4, while i am using a universal points systems for the troops, i am using the standard rules for the Grade multipliers.)

Peter F Model

My first draft of my scenarios document is posted. I had to add a few optional rules in the rules to cater for the victory conditions (lines of supply - which only affect victory conditions) and as players may end up with some Str.1 and Str.2 elements, some optional rules to cater for this as well. I had issues with creating 1:20000 playing areas. As i normally use google maps, which gives me images with sufficient detail to create maps at 1:10000 or 1:5000 scale - i discovered at 1:20000 the detail is so poor i can't accurately identify the towns, roads, streams and woods. I have included a few of these images in case someone else wants to use them, but instead i have included my 1:10000 playing areas diagrams. They should be suitable for 1:20000 as well, but players may wish to create their own playing areas instead. As these are all hypothetical conflicts, players should have a wide scope of possible playing areas to choose from.

Peter F Model

After a number of games i have found a number of errors and poor design and organization issue with Bewegungskrieg, which i have corrected. The cheat sheet should be easier to use, the supply rules have been further clarified in the rules and scenarios document and i have added my "editors notes" section. The examples document was accordingly updated and i made a minor change to the game-turn charts. I have added a counter sheet pdf file which contains counters which should assist with play. I plan on posting some photos from one of the games on the LWRS site. The basic structure of my basic scenario seems to work with LWRS, although it took me a while to work out how to give the attackers a chance to achieve victory, which is why i did a deep dive on the supply rules and added a number of clarifications and corrected what i am pretty certain was a typo in the original rules. I suspect it was left over from an earlier version of the rules and never updated.

Peter F Model

II have posted my first version of my wwii army lists. I have not completed all the commentary and the commentary I have completed required additional editing. The basic army lists have been edited, but from experience I need to start using it to create scenarios in order to make sure I have not added any errors into it. If something looks strange players can cross check it with army lists on the internet, or my army TO&E document? My brain has reached its limit on this topic, so I will be now focusing on scenarios. I will need to come back and edit and clean it up, but not right now.
How to use the army lists. The army lists should be used to create scenarios; they are too complex in order to allow players to create ad-hoc forces for games. Some work needs to be done before hand to create the forces and then do the element conversions. Remember, the lists provided a total number of steps; players will need to convert these into reasonable 3 step elements, as per the standard rules. This is not complex, but its time consuming – which is why I need to create scenarios. From personal experience you need to be able to setup a game in less than 60 minutes otherwise you are wasting too much time. You can only do that if you have pre-setup the playing area (document it at least) and the elements you need. These days I pack an attacking forces and a defending force in a single box and only transport that.
My next project is working on another set of rules, as I am on the road again and need a project I can conduct in a hotel room. But once I am back I plan on doing a bit of reorganising. I have been asked to create a reformatted set of rules without any optional rules. (v1.x) This is for players who want to play the original rules – pure and simple and who do not wish to be confused with any extra modifiers or rules they are not familiar with. I will include errata, or what I think is an error or typo, but the rules will be as close to original as possible. The only change is the format. I will then move my current version of the rules, which include optional rules, into a different version number (v2.x). I will then create a v3.x, which embeds the optional rules in it and adds one more optional rule I have been thinking about. I will create a 2 column and 3 column version of this version. I currently use this system for my Corps Commander and Korps Commander rules and people seem to like this type of breakdown.
The optional rule I am thinking of is for supporting troops. I have been going over Panzer korps these days and I am impressed with the way they deal with supporting troops in a battalion. These supporting elements add capabilities to the core elements in the battalion, so an A/T company in battalion would add some a/t capacity for each of the 3 elements in a battalion, rather than become an independent element. I never liked the HW element, as this became some sort of super element in a battalion. It also meant you have to keep track of different element types in a battalion. Using this support troops rule all the core elements in a battalion remain the same, the support element can be placed in the rear and can represent 1 step loss, which must be initially taken (some exceptions) if a loss is suffered. I need to play test this a bit, but I think it may simplify the game while adding some flexibility.

Peter F Model

I have posted the "Part 3: Equipment Data Chart" pdf file on the IO group. I am basing the values on a combination of FFT and KC equipment values and I have noticed a few odd results, which I have manually corrected. I suspect I will need to drill down into this to make sure no "silly" results occur.
Players are free to change the values if they feel its wrong, but each time you do so the points system loses a bit of accuracy. I don't think this is a major issue and should still result in a fun game, but I have noticed, as I refight the same battle, my tactics (and my opponent’s tactics) are getting a lot more refined and the games are getting a lot tighter. I am still getting a lot of variation of results, but nowhere as great as the early battles. In summary, as you become more skilful the points systems becomes more important.

Peter F Model

I have posted my Part 7: Scenarios pdf file. This covered summer 1944, initially only the eastern front. I will add US and UK army lists for west front conflicts in the future, right now i need to test the scenario first. It based on my cold war scenario, which i have already posted and is based on lessons learned from that. I have converted the divisions into standard 3 step elements, my experience with the cold war scenario is having 1-2 step elements provided too confusing, especially for artillery. I have tried to keep the points total the same, but all elements are 3 steps as per the standard rules. Players can look at the raw army lists and can do their own conversions. I have noticed some unusual points values so i will research this in more detail, but it should not affect the scenarios too much. Anyway, i will find out soon enough.