Workshops for DIY Solar Filter, Dew Strip, Primary Mirror Cleaning etc...

Shawn Loescher

In 2016 the BBAA club officers held a very successful workshop where they assisted club members in building their own solar filters and/or dew heaters. Over the last few months we have heard quite a few members comment about wanting a solar filter or a dew heater or both. I have also heard people mention they they wanted to clean their primary mirrors but were unsure how to do it. We have created a database on the groups.io site where we can gauge interest in these activities. In the past our previous president, Chuck Jagow, asked but not enough interest was shown so we didn't go forward at that time. If you are interested now please fill out the database below with the requested information and we can make a determination whether to proceed with the workshop. If you have any questions feel free to send me an email or leave a comment on this post. Thanks.

Shawn Loescher

I know it has been awhile since I posted about the workshops but I wanted to wait until the Georgie June Raffle was over before I shifted my focus back to planning the workshops. For simplicity sake I have split the database into one for each area of interest. You can modify or add your name to the various databases here: https://groups.io/g/BackBayAstro/database

SOLAR FILTER WORKSHOP

Yesterday I had the opportunity to use a Baader Planetarium solar filter vs my Helios solar filter from Seymour Solar that is installed on the telescope cover for my 10" dob. There is no comparison. The Baader filter is far superior by offering considerably more detail in the sunspots. The Baader solar filter is what I am planning on ordering for the workshop unless there are any objections. Below are the size and price comparisons between the two.

What we used in the past:

Seymour Solar
Helios Solar Film Sheet 9" X 12". SF912S - $23.95
Helios Solar Film 9" X 12", Pack of (5). SF912S-5 - $95.95
https://www.seymoursolar.com

Proposed Solar Material:

1) Astro-Physics
Baader AstroSolar 5.0 Safety Film 200 x 290mm (7.9"x11.4") (AS50A4) - $37.00
Baader AstroSolar 5.0 Safety Film 500 x 1000mm (19.7" x 39.4") (AS50HM) - $86.00
https://www.astro-physics.com

or

2) Alpine Astro
AstroSolar® Safety Film Optical Density (OD) = 5.0 [Safe for
visual solar observation and imaging]:
SKU ASOLV-E (Baader #2459286) Size: ECO-size: ca. 140x155 mm (5.512" x 6.102") - $24.00
SKU ASOLV-S (Baader #2459281) Size: A4-size: ca. 20 x 29 cm (8" x 12") - $39.00
SKU ASOLV-M (Baader #2459282) Size: 100 x 50 cm (40" x 20") - $99.00
SKU ASOLV-L (Baader #2459284) Size: Giant size: 117 x 117cm (46" x 46") - $349.00
https://alpineastro.com/collections/astrosolar-viewers-and-film/products/astrosolar%C2%AE-safety-film-od-5-0-eco-size-20x29-100x50-117x117-cm

Here are the people so far who have stated they are interested in participating in the solar filter workshop. If you want to participate as well please add your information to the database located here: https://groups.io/g/BackBayAstro/table?id=33343

Name

Solar Filter Objective Circumference and Diameter

Samantha Erb

D=10 C=33.5

Brian LaFitte

D= 10", C= 37.5"

Gabriel Dandrade

NEED INFO INPUTTED INTO DATABASE

David Leonard

1-Orion 80mm SkyView Reflector, C=368.3 mm D=184.5.

Shawn Loescher

10" Dob Solar filter Off-Axis C= 37", D=10

Instructions from the makers of the solar filter material for solar filter assembly: https://astrosolar.com/en/download/how-to-make-your-own-objective-solar-filter/

DEW HEATER WORKSHOP

In the past, Chuck ordered the majority of the electronics supplies from Priest/Cain Electronics in Norfolk. They have since been sold to a larger corporation and I'm now told that they don't offer the same selection that they once did. I will probably end up ordering the Nichrome 26 Gauge Resistance Wire and RCA connectors on Amazon now. On the test pieces that I made I used 70 inches to make one dew heater.

jimcoble2000

Making this stuff may become more important than ever as there seems to be low to non existent stocks in astronomy stores for some time now. Maybe some time in the future also.

On Thursday, April 28, 2022, 03:41:35 PM EDT, Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry, to respond so late,
I will need to pass on the workshop as I went ahead and built my own solar filter and soon a dew Heater, using my 3D Printer.
I assumed the Lockdowns had shuttered the workshop and I had plenty of time to watch collage of YouTube videos.
If materials have already been purchased, then I will be more than happy to pay what would have been my "share", and donate it to someone who otherwise would not be able to attend.

V/R
David Leonard

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 4:04 PM jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Edited

As we discussed at the last meeting we are waiting until May 22nd for everyone who is interested in participating in the Solar Filter Workshop database: https://groups.io/g/BackBayAstro/table?id=33343 to get their information entered. Once we have a firm number on how many club members want to participate I can tally up how much the cost will be for each person.

George Reynolds

Shawn,

Only 7 people have responded so far, and three of them were back in the fall of 2021, so maybe you'd better touch base with them.  I hope they are still interested.

All,

We need more folks to sign up for the workshop.  It will be fun, and the results will be helpful for solar observing.

On Wednesday, May 18, 2022, 01:31:48 PM EDT, Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:

As we discussed at the last meeting we are waiting until May 22nd for everyone to get their information entered in the Solar Filter Workshop database: https://groups.io/g/BackBayAstro/table?id=33343. Once we have a firm number on how many club members want to participate I can tally up how much the cost will be for each person.