Willmann-Bell is Gone!

George Reynolds

I just found out, about six months late, that astronomy book publisher Willmann-Bell is gone!  Apparently, they closed their doors without any warning at the end of 2020.  Who else knew about it?

Their Web site is still up, but that is misleading.  I wanted to buy an updated version of Uranometria 2000.0, and kept getting error messages when trying to put it into my shopping cart.  Then I found another site that said they had closed.

They had a lot of good astronomy books.  What a loss!

Hi George,
I found the announcement online last fall – it was too late to buy anything when this, the notice I found, appeared:

https://www.willbell.com/

 But what I have NOT found or heard since then is any word on who is going to be selling off their inventory, or even better taking over the entire business.

Roy

On Jul 13, 2021, at 6:02 PM, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

I just found out, about six months late, that astronomy book publisher Willmann-Bell is gone!  Apparently, they closed their doors without any warning at the end of 2020.  Who else knew about it?

Their Web site is still up, but that is misleading.  I wanted to buy an updated version of Uranometria 2000.0, and kept getting error messages when trying to put it into my shopping cart.  Then I found another site that said they had closed.

They had a lot of good astronomy books.  What a loss!

One of our members got this response from Perry Remaklus a couple of days ago after inquiring where she might purchase the Year Round Messier Marathon:

“We are in the process of securing a new outlet for our books. Hopefully, in a few weeks that organization can make an announcement of availability.

Best

Perry”

Ted

[...]

William Rust

What a loss.  I didn't know.  I have purchased many books and from them.  I guess the Pandemic sunk them.

The Naval Observatory went down a couple of years ago, and data is scarce.  It seems like blind luck to find what I need.

What next?

I just found out, about six months late, that astronomy book publisher Willmann-Bell is gone!  Apparently, they closed their doors without any warning at the end of 2020.  Who else knew about it?

Their Web site is still up, but that is misleading.  I wanted to buy an updated version of Uranometria 2000.0, and kept getting error messages when trying to put it into my shopping cart.  Then I found another site that said they had closed.

They had a lot of good astronomy books.  What a loss!

Bruce

George, BBAA members,

I have many William-Bell titles on my bookshelves. Almost all are like new, never fielded, and I cannot use any longer.
I may have the last Uranometria 2000.0 too. Need to look.

I can no longer field a scope much less a heavy mount since my last back operation.

Let me know what your after. I shall try to catalog my library this summer.

Dr Bruce

Troy Riedel

William,

It wasn't the pandemic.  It was essentially a husband & wife operation and they retired ... they're "up there" in age.  I frankly expected an announcement by now who'd pick-up their inventory and/or continue their titles.

Troy

George Reynolds

Bruce,

I'm sorry to hear about your back problems.  We sure do miss seeing you.  If you plan to sell many of your books (I too have an extensive astronomy library), I'll bet there may be some prospective buyers in the club and on this chat group.

I was able to find a copy of Uranometria Vol 2 (Southern Hemisphere) from a third-party vendor for just $80, not too bad.  I received it a few days later, and now I have both volumes.  The newest edition was to have both hemispheres in one volume, but unless or until someone steps up to replace Willmann-Bell, it is not available.

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021, 10:01:47 AM EDT, Bruce via groups.io <galaxydoc@...> wrote:

George, BBAA members,

I have many William-Bell titles on my bookshelves. Almost all are like new, never fielded, and I cannot use any longer.
I may have the last Uranometria 2000.0 too. Need to look.

I can no longer field a scope much less a heavy mount since my last back operation.

Let me know what your after. I shall try to catalog my library this summer.

Dr Bruce

AstroChessPilot

https://aas.org/press/aas-acquires-willmann-bell-titles

Roy Diffrient