Want to see a space rock?

Roy, what is it's zip code?EmojiEmojiEmoji

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 02:30:43 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

jimcoble2000

The times are not favorable sahib.

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 08:44:36 AM EST, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Roy, what is it's zip code?EmojiEmojiEmoji

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 02:30:43 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Roy Diffrient

I’ll probably be observing snowflakes.

Roy

On Jan 16, 2022, at 9:50 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

The times are not favorable sahib.

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 08:44:36 AM EST, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Roy, what is it's zip code?EmojiEmojiEmoji

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 02:30:43 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Roy Diffrient

Thankfully not here.

Roy

On Jan 16, 2022, at 8:44 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Roy, what is it's zip code?EmojiEmojiEmoji

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 02:30:43 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

jimcoble2000

Hmm well we are observing rain. Maybe we should compare notes after all this is over. Cold here but not as cold as up there I suspect. The good thing about bad weather, if you obsessed with observing, is that you can't feel guilty for what you can't control. No one else is doing any better. But January is about over (optimist) and we are much closer to spring.

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 10:41:29 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

I’ll probably be observing snowflakes.

Roy

On Jan 16, 2022, at 9:50 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

The times are not favorable sahib.

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 08:44:36 AM EST, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Roy, what is it's zip code?EmojiEmojiEmoji

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 02:30:43 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Kent Blackwell

We looked for it last night. Mark O saw it, but I can't say I saw the 11th magnitude asteroid.

Kent

Ian Stewart

Gave it a try but no luck here. Skies were a bit hazy which didn't help.

On 1/19/2022 8:07 AM, Kent Blackwell wrote:
We looked for it last night. Mark O saw it, but I can't say I saw the 11th magnitude asteroid.

Kent

jimcoble2000

That was a lot of fun last night and a real navigational project. Fortunately the earth does not depend on both of our navigation and tracking skills (see Don't Look Up, the movie)Emoji  I had to go to the JPL ephemeris page to generate a set of RA DEC tables for every five minutes. Oh be sure to correct for UTC so you need to plot it for 19 January on the night of the 18th. There is a small matter of an ocean and a day between us and Greenwich. Oh yes and subtract 5 hours too.

We did find the asteroid with a combination of the tables and Kent's I phone program. I have to say even finding it, not being near any star, was a real targeting task. Add in that it was just past full moon, in the West in lower Pisces where the sky glow is bad, and the asteroid was 10.6 or so magnitude. I was only able to momentarily glimpse it several times in the six inch with difficulty. I did it also in my five inch with extreme difficulty for just moments. Then it would vanish. The sky was super steady last night and we had a classic winter observing session in 27 degree weather. At first I was not really set to do this but Kent mentioned the asteroid and I knew the earth was counting on us. Oh....ok. Though, I do suspect a good asteroid strike would straighten out some behavior problems on this planet. Oh and this thing was booking across the sky for good measure. Fortunately it did not hold a steady bearing or increase in brightness.... as you know what that means.EmojiEmoji

We were able to split a 1.0 arc second double and visited some low clusters in Canis Major before deciding that being popsicles  was not all it could be. Great night though.

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022, 08:07:55 AM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

We looked for it last night. Mark O saw it, but I can't say I saw the 11th magnitude asteroid.

Kent

jimcoble2000

Yes but you have to realize my eyes are more machine than man nowEmoji

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022, 08:09:46 AM EST, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Gave it a try but no luck here. Skies were a bit hazy which didn't help.

On 1/19/2022 8:07 AM, Kent Blackwell wrote:
We looked for it last night. Mark O saw it, but I can't say I saw the 11th magnitude asteroid.

Kent

charles jagow

25 degrees?  That’s T-shirt weather out here. Last night when I went out briefly it was 9.  I looked at the moon for a few moments before the clouds took it away.  It had some really good ice crystal halos around it.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "jimcoble2000 via groups.io" <jimcoble2000@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 6:47 AM
To: "BackBayAstro@groups.io" <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] Want to see a space rock?

Yes but you have to realize my eyes are more machine than man nowEmoji

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022, 08:09:46 AM EST, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Gave it a try but no luck here. Skies were a bit hazy which didn't help.

On 1/19/2022 8:07 AM, Kent Blackwell wrote:

We looked for it last night. Mark O saw it, but I can't say I saw the 11th magnitude asteroid.

Kent

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Paul

Thanks for the heads up on it the other day, Mark. I was able to see in my 8”. It was faint, but not too bad when I went up to a higher power (130x). It’s movement was most noticeable when it passed closely by another star (which seemed like didn’t happen too often). But when it did, it was easy to notice, and surprisingly fast.  It is rare to see anything noticeably move in astronomy, so very cool.
-Paul

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "jimcoble2000 via groups.io" <jimcoble2000=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 6:47 AM
To: "BackBayAstro@groups.io" <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

Yes but you have to realize my eyes are more machine than man nowEmoji

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022, 08:09:46 AM EST, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Gave it a try but no luck here. Skies were a bit hazy which didn't help.

On 1/19/2022 8:07 AM, Kent Blackwell wrote:

We looked for it last night. Mark O saw it, but I can't say I saw the 11th magnitude asteroid.

Kent

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

jimcoble2000

Hi Paul. Yes that sounds like it all right. If it had come close to any bright star it would have made navigation easier. Sky Tools seems to have not heard of it (as of yesterday). Fortunately we do not live in the ice age out in Colorado as glacier Chuck does!