[VPAS] Freshest light in the universe

charles jagow

Comet is only 37,200 miles from Earth, I thought it was closer to 0.5 AU?

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Dec 4, 2021, at 12:49 PM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

The comet's light is a very fresh 0.2 light second away. That is the freshest information around.

Jim Tallman

1.8 light minutes 😄

Get Outlook for Android

jimcoble2000

Hmm. If you take the sky tools figure at 0.4 AU from earth as gospel it works out to 199 seconds now. I suspect it depends on when they figured out the distance as it is moving quick. Or 3.3 minutes.

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 08:45:31 PM EST, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:

1.8 light minutes 😄

Get Outlook for Android

Jim Tallman

Oh who the heck knows :-)

Get Outlook for Android

Jim Tallman

It's a moving target :-)

Get Outlook for Android

jimcoble2000

Emoji

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 09:04:22 PM EST, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:

Oh who the heck knows :-)

Get Outlook for Android

jimcoble2000

I just looked at where my initial low figure came from. That was from Earth Sky .org. but after doing the math myself the author of the article was way off. Never trust a general magazine article or web site.

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 09:10:06 PM EST, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Emoji

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 09:04:22 PM EST, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:

Oh who the heck knows :-)

Get Outlook for Android

charles jagow

Whew! I am glad there was a mistake somewhere, darn authors.  At least the Majestik Heavens Comet Group didn’t hear about the .2 Ls and start to drink their Kool-Aid in preparations…

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of "jimcoble2000 via groups.io" <jimcoble2000@...>
Date: Saturday, December 4, 2021 at 7:22 PM
To: "BackBayAstro@groups.io" <backbayastro@groups.io>, "VPAS@groups.io" <vpas@groups.io>, "VPAS@groups.io" <VPAS@groups.io>
Cc: Kent Blackwell <kent@...>, Roy Diffrient <mail@...>, "Kurt.Melow@..." <kurt.melow@...>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] [VPAS] Freshest light in the universe

I just looked at where my initial low figure came from. That was from Earth Sky .org. but after doing the math myself the author of the article was way off. Never trust a general magazine article or web site.

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 09:10:06 PM EST, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Emoji

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 09:04:22 PM EST, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:

Oh who the heck knows :-)

Get Outlook for Android

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory