Viewing Last Night

Ian Stewart

Wow, still shorts and t-shirt viewing weather. Caught a nice view of the red spot transit on Jupiter last night. Seeing was good, transparency not so much. Spent some time on the moon. The terminator was in a good position to show off the Apennine Mountains. Aristillus, Autolycuc and Archimedes all very dramatic ... Cheers Ian

charles jagow

Not T-shirt weather here!  This morning the dog water bowl on the deck was frozen SOLID.  Pre-dawn temp was 15 degrees…  Forecast is actually calling for snow tonight!

Last night was our last night of public outreach at the Smokey Jack Observatory until next spring.  The SJO season starts again in March or early April and the observatory hosts pre-reserved groups every night (except 5 days surrounding full moon).  Reserved groups consist of between 4-12 people every night for an approximate 3-4 hours of viewing of the night sky.  THE SJO hosted nearly 1,500 people this year, we have eight two person teams that rotate through as hosts.  It is a different type of public outreach, but very relaxed and enjoyable.  After we arrived here is Westcliffe, I conspired with another member to provide weekly solar observing every Sunday afternoon.  It was still by reservation, but we did handle walk-ups as well.  I hope that we can expand next year to doing unreserved public outreach, similar to Sky Watch and SUN day on Saturday.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...>
Reply-To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Date: Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 7:49 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Viewing Last Night

Wow, still shorts and t-shirt viewing weather. Caught a nice view of the red spot transit on Jupiter last night. Seeing was good, transparency not so much. Spent some time on the moon. The terminator was in a good position to show off the Apennine Mountains. Aristillus, Autolycuc and Archimedes all very dramatic ... Cheers Ian

--

v/r

v/r

Chuck Jagow

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

George Reynolds

Good for you, Ian, looking at the Moon instead of those DSOs.  At IOMN last night Eddie Parris showed me an image he had taken of that same area, the Appenine Mountains, the Caucasus Mountains, with Archimedes, Autolycus, and Aristillus.  I identified the craters for him, then realized that something looked "off".  When we compared his image to a map of the Moon, I realized that his image was reversed.  Duh!  Emoji

George

George Reynolds

"Solar System Ambassador" for South Hampton Roads, Virginia
Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA) 
http://www.backbayastro.org

On Thursday, October 14, 2021, 09:49:38 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote: