Unusual first light

jimcoble2000

We have all had multiple telescopes that each had a first light but it is not often you get a chance to first light a new repaired eye. This was the first night, after having the first of two cataract surgeries performed, that I was able to try out a new lens. No not eyepiece; eye lens. It is only a first impression with a limited target, Jupiter, but what a difference in vision at the telescope. The uncorrected eye shows Jupiter as a dull yellow disk. The corrected eye, not my dominant observing eye, shows Jupiter a much brighter white with vivid colors in the bands. There were no bad side effects such as halos or flaring. That was good. Dim stars were much brighter and easier to acquire with the corrected eye. Not having to take glasses on and off for the one power is quite nice.

After decades of observing with you all, Kent, Bird, and the old group, you think it will never change and go on forever just the same as it was 25 years ago. But time marches on at this later life stage and the eyes were wearing out fast. The universe was outlasting me as it always does for everybody. I did not realize how bad I had gotten until we replaced the lens of my eye. The difference is remarkable. So far so good. One eye down, one to go. The primary observing eye is in a couple of weeks. First light is pretty good so far. More to evaluate in the coming months but a good start on a second chance. Emoji

Roy Diffrient

Glad it’s working out Mark.  I’ve read that the success rate is very high on that surgery with few complications.  I’m sure more of us will get there as the years go by, and glad to hear that there’s a significant improvement.  Best of luck with the next one!

Roy

On Aug 5, 2021, at 10:39 PM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Stewart

Hey Mark, glad it’s working out. My wife just went through it and noted the same amazing color and brightness changes.

jimcoble2000

So am I. Glad I didn't lose much or anything important so far. Maybe a bit of eye relief. With short eye relief orthos seem a bit harder to use and see the stop. Excellent detail though. The shorter eye relief is not too much loss as you use the center anyways for planets but it does seem I need to get closer to see the sharp field stop. Doesn't make a difference with wide field eye pieces. Oddly enough things look a bit larger in the fixed eye. I can't say if this is an illusion but it sure looks like it.

On Thursday, August 5, 2021, 11:38:34 PM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Hey Mark, glad it’s working out. My wife just went through it and noted the same amazing color and brightness changes.

Bruce

Mark,

Looks like you had a first class result!

Dr Bruce

jimcoble2000

seems so.

On Friday, August 6, 2021, 11:01:08 AM EDT, Bruce via groups.io <galaxydoc@...> wrote:

Mark,

Looks like you had a first class result!

Dr Bruce

Bird Taylor

First Class Result for a First Class Person!

On Aug 6, 2021, at 11:06 39, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

seems so.

On Friday, August 6, 2021, 11:01:08 AM EDT, Bruce via groups.io <galaxydoc@...> wrote:

Mark,

Looks like you had a first class result!

Dr Bruce

Matthew Cook

Wait!  When did we stop talking about Mark? 🤣🤣🤣

On Aug 6, 2021, at 11:51, Bird Taylor <birdtaylor@...> wrote:

First Class Result for a First Class Person!

On Aug 6, 2021, at 11:06 39, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

seems so.

On Friday, August 6, 2021, 11:01:08 AM EDT, Bruce via groups.io <galaxydoc@...> wrote:

Mark,

Looks like you had a first class result!

Dr Bruce

jimcoble2000

oh somewhere along the line. Should only require a short sentence or two.

On Sunday, August 8, 2021, 8:10:23 PM EDT, Matthew Cook via groups.io <lt_mrcook@...> wrote:

Wait!  When did we stop talking about Mark? 🤣🤣🤣

On Aug 6, 2021, at 11:51, Bird Taylor <birdtaylor@...> wrote:

First Class Result for a First Class Person!

On Aug 6, 2021, at 11:06 39, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

seems so.

On Friday, August 6, 2021, 11:01:08 AM EDT, Bruce via groups.io <galaxydoc@...> wrote:

Mark,

Looks like you had a first class result!

Dr Bruce

George Reynolds

Thanks, Jim, for the report.  I am going to have to get cataract surgery too.  My doctor, Dr. Griffey, says he is ready anytime I am.  I think I'll get it in my observing eye (the left) first.  I hope I have the same results as you.  I am getting tired of looking up at the sky and seeing very little.  What doctor did the surgery for you?

On Thursday, August 5, 2021, 10:38:59 PM EDT, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

[...]

Oops!  my reply called you "Jim" (after jimcoble).  I meant to say, "Mark."

[...]

Kurz is thew doctor. Usually they do your weak eye first so you may not get to pick.

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:53:27 AM EDT, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

[...]

Emoji