The Sun, Wednesday August 3, 2022

Kent Blackwell

The prominence on the sun yesterday is even larger today. It's simply amazing to see in an H-alpha light telescope!

Kent Blackwell

Here are a couple of pictures I took a few moments ago. I'm just learning to photograph through my 15+ year old H-alpha scope.

jimcoble2000

Just took a look. Spectacular. I had to let the scope equalize out in temperature. Now that it is at the melting point of lead things are just fine. The prom is quite large today. I had to dial my scope fairly far off of the settings where it usually works at. Doing that I was able to get a detailed and bright picture of the prom. These scopes really don't like not being at air temp.

Is it hot? I just spoke with some of my old fellow galley slave rowers from work (see Ben Hur rowing scene). I asked if it had been a grim summer. They can't even get their I pads to work cause the pads overheat outside.

It is good to be retired.

On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 09:22:51 AM EDT, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

Here are a couple of pictures I took a few moments ago. I'm just learning to photograph through my 15+ year old H-alpha scope.

Bird Taylor

Hey AstroBuddies,

Okay, okay, okay, now I’m sufficiently motivated to take my Personal Solar Telescope (PST) into work today to share views of Ole’ Sol with the interns. Thank you for the inspiration!

Clear Bright Skies,
Bird

On Aug 3, 2022, at 09:49 14, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

[...]

get going

On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 09:58:07 AM EDT, Bird Taylor <birdtaylor@...> wrote:

[...]

My ancient Tele Vue/Coronado does a nice job showing prominences but I can’t imagine what a new 50-152mm H-alpha scope would show!

When you start shopping large aperture H-alpha scopes you’d best plan on trading in that new car.

jimcoble2000

sell the house