Sun this morning

jimcoble2000

The sun continues to be very active as of this morning. The large sunspot is easier to see naked eye today and is obvious when viewed through my #14 welders glass.

In Ha there is a very very large active area stretching far beyond the immediate area of the sunspot. This is the largest hot region I have seen in a long time. Several proms are in evidence around the limb of the sun with a large semi loop close to limb where the sunspot is located. Numerous filaments are also in evidence a quarter of the way around from the sunspot. Surface detail is very good this morning with good seeing and transparency.

This week has made up for the past two years of very little activity. Things seem to be progressing nicely for the new cycle.

Jeffrey Thornton

Image that I was able to get this morning of the spots. Cellphone photo through my 30 year old ETX90 and 26mm EP for a 48X magnification.

George Reynolds

Very nice, Jeff!  Those cell phone cameras are amazing.

It's nice to see the sunspot activity starting to resume.  I hope the trend conmtinues.  It makes our Saturday SUN Days much more interesting.

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 11:26:28 AM EST, Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:

Image that I was able to get this morning of the spots. Cellphone photo through my 30 year old ETX90 and 26mm EP for a 48X magnification.

Jeffrey Thornton

Thank you George,

And thanks to this group for alert me to this sun activity! This maybe a good time to see the Northern Lights, if we could get up to Alaska or Canada. Fingers crossed that this active sun last through the 19th, the next SUN day.

Jeff

jimcoble2000

Pretty rare but not unheard of down here. A decade or so ago (maybe two) there was a good display of the northern lights that was visible from dark skies of Back Bay. They were expected that night as there was a solar storm of some intensity going on. We got to see the subdued red color. I don't think we saw green but my memory may not be so good. I spent some time in Alaska working but usually they show up after midnight so never did see them up there. Fairbanks is in an excellent position for displays.