Sun Report November 23 2021

Kent Blackwell

The sun is getting more and more active after nearly 5+ years of inactivity. There are numerous prominences and a few interesting filaments visible in H-alpha light.

Kent

jimcoble2000

Good report. I took a look around 1330 and there were a couple of nice loop prominence and a couple good filaments. One region appeared to be hot around a small sunspot. I did not look in white light. One thing that is nice about cold weather is I can take the scope out from a warmer inside without fear of condensation on the blocking filter. During the summer it is ill advised to quickly take a scope kept in air conditioning outside as you turn it into a condenser and are on the road to an expensive repair or replacement.  Coronado will no longer service these scopes last I checked. Now that Meade/Coronado is owned by Orion I don't know if that will change. A lot of the PST's died after a few years of service due to coating issues. I am on my second blocking filter/diagonal for my 60mm. They ain't cheap so I take care of it.

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 11:12:37 AM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

The sun is getting more and more active after nearly 5+ years of inactivity. There are numerous prominences and a few interesting filaments visible in H-alpha light.

Kent

charles jagow

That’s why I sold the Coronado 60, and acquired a Lunt 60.  To fix a blocking filter in a Lunt it cost $8 plus $10 shipping.  And the view in a Lunt is more spectacular than the Coronado.  Our club out here has a 90mm double stacked filter scope.  The view in it is much brighter than a similarly equipped Coronado.

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Nov 23, 2021, at 13:07, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

[...]

Bird Taylor

Hey Chuck,

I again am the exception to the rule with my very poor red color vision. I can barely even see anything in a double stacked Lunt, whereas the Coronado is much brighter for me thus much easier to focus as well.

Clear Bright Skies,
Bird

On Nov 23, 2021, at 16:18 05, charles jagow <chuck@...> wrote:

[...]

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Jeffrey Thornton

No experience with the Lunt, other that to look through Mel's at the Saturday SUN day events. But with the Coronado PST, I am having much better success with swapping the 26mm EP that was in the case with my 8 to 16mm Vixen zoom EP.  Brightness is twice, if not three times brighter with the zoom at the 16mm position.

Jeff