Star Party in Nov

Shawn Loescher

James River State Park is hosting a star party on November 5-6.  We are all welcome to attend.  Here are the particulars:

Website: https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/event?id=2021-09-29-14-22-33-394579-da6

The park has been super supportive of astronomy and we want to have a good showing of astronomers at the event if we can. James River State Park is near Gladstone, VA and is an IDA dark sky park with frequent astronomy programs. There is no charge to attend as a volunteer astronomer and camp on the observing field.
The park asks that astronomers make themselves available for a couple of hours each night just after sunset to do outreach for park visitors. There are plumbed toilets near the observing area and a shelter with limited AC power.  There is no food service at the park. Amherst is probably the nearest town of any size nearby, but there are some local convenience/gasoline stores around. Marty Liebschner, Assistant Park Manager who is leading the effort, would like someone from each club that has members who are planning to attend to send him a list of the people attending rather than have individuals contact him directly – he is not staffed to take individual reservations.
If you are interested in attending please let me know and I will forward a list of club members to Marty so he knows how many of us to expect.

Jonathan Scheetz

Sean, I will attend if weather looks favorable.  I had registered for the week at the Staunton River star party and did not go because the forecast was bad for the entire week.  Hopefully weather outlook for this will be a little better.
It looks like this is a Bortle class 3 site so it should be a little darker than what we see at NWRP.
Thanks.
Jonathan

Jonathan Scheetz

I was going to RSVP on the website but I don't see the event on the calendar.

George Reynolds

I just today added the event to the BBAA calendar.

On Saturday, October 16, 2021, 10:15:28 AM EDT, Jonathan Scheetz <jonathan@...> wrote:

I was going to RSVP on the website but I don't see the event on the calendar.

George Reynolds

This sounds doable.  I think it is worth participating in.  The park is about 200 miles away, a 3.5 to 4-hour drive.  I have never been to an International Dark-Sky Association certified dark sky location.  I want to go to this November star party.

On Friday, October 15, 2021, 09:15:24 AM EDT, Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:

[...]

Stu Beaber

George...if that interests you, you ought to check out Staunton River Star Party next March & October...it's a little closer too...

Stu

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 10:19 PM George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yeah, Stu, I was hoping to go to SRSP this fall, but I had some other commitments, including prepping for IOMN.

On Monday, October 18, 2021, 10:50:24 PM EDT, Stu Beaber <wd4sel@...> wrote:

[...]

Shawn,

Have you had any feedback on this James River S.P. event?  No one has RSVP'd yet except me.  Fortunately, this is scheduled a week before my first cataract surgery.

[...]

I haven't heard anything else about it besides the email Bruce sent us. You should post the information here since you're planning on attending.

George Reynolds

I am planning on attending the James River State Park star party the first weekend in November, 2-3 Nov.  It is in Gladstone, Virginia, just about 30 miles north of Lynchburg, about three and a half hours from Hampton Roads.

The event is on the BBAA calendar.  If you want to attend, you should RSVP. at this link:

[...]

I just sent an email to the park, attn: Marty Liebschner, telling him that so far we have three who have RSVP'd that they will attend the JRSPSP.

Samantha is still "iffy".  I hope she can come.

[...]

Daniel McGill

Hi!
I have never attended any of these events but am super excited to come to this one at James River!!!

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021, 9:15 AM Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:
[...]

That's great!  You can get the details on the BBAA Calendar site, including driving directions.  I am taking a tent and camping gear, and a bit of food for myself, including a propane stove, coffee pot, and some ramen noodles.  Emoji

Here's the link to the event on the BBAA calendar:

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 11:12:25 AM EDT, Daniel McGill <dmcg2126@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for taking care of this George.