Seahorse Nebula

Ian Stewart

Got a little imaging time in last night. Not great conditions but at least you could see stars. Needs more integration time for sure and some camera tilt in the some where but here is a look at the head of the seahorse nebula a dark nebula in the constellation Cepheus ... Cheers Ian
Seahorse Nebula

Stu Beaber

Mighty nice Ian...I never tried one of those dark nebs...probably way too bright here for that...

Stu

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 3:24 PM Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:
Got a little imaging time in last night. Not great conditions but at least you could see stars. Needs more integration time for sure and some camera tilt in the some where but here is a look at the head of the seahorse nebula a dark nebula in the constellation Cepheus ... Cheers Ian
Seahorse Nebula

jimcoble2000

Ian. Good shot. These are ignored by most amateur astronomers, not unreasonably, because they need really dark skies to detect and then a weird skill in seeing them. The camera does a lot better than the eye does on these. These are kind of like Port wines; it takes a bit of getting used to and is an acquired taste. Thanks for showing this. I still am not sure what the best technique is for seeing these dark nebula.

On Monday, July 27, 2020, 3:24:21 PM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Got a little imaging time in last night. Not great conditions but at least you could see stars. Needs more integration time for sure and some camera tilt in the some where but here is a look at the head of the seahorse nebula a dark nebula in the constellation Cepheus ... Cheers Ian
Seahorse Nebula

charles jagow

Very nice, I don’t think I even have a prayer at something like that from Greenbrier.

Member #1495 – Norfolk County Rifle Range

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...>
Date: Monday, July 27, 2020 at 3:24 PM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Seahorse Nebula

Got a little imaging time in last night. Not great conditions but at least you could see stars. Needs more integration time for sure and some camera tilt in the some where but here is a look at the head of the seahorse nebula a dark nebula in the constellation Cepheus ... Cheers Ian
Seahorse Nebula

Treasurer - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Rott'n Paws Observatory

    N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512

Roy Diffrient

Wish I could see that many stars.  Thanks Ian, great shot.

Roy

On Jul 27, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Got a little imaging time in last night. Not great conditions but at least you could see stars. Needs more integration time for sure and some camera tilt in the some where but here is a look at the head of the seahorse nebula a dark nebula in the constellation Cepheus ... Cheers Ian
Seahorse Nebula

jimcoble2000

Yes Chuck, not even close. Kempsville either!

I think Coinjock may do it..... maybe, maybe not.

I know that night in West Virginia around Greenbank surely could. My memory is a bit foggy but I do know we tried the Snake Nebula multiple times from Pungo and I am not sure if we ever succeeded really, even back in the first days when it was a lot darker. Those were the M-13 naked eye days. I suspect long past now.

The problem is you need a wide field but big objective or mirror and that combination is rare. I do remember John of Richmond (not to be confused with John Richmond!) had an unusual very short focal length telescope for the size of aperture that certainly would have done it in Coinjock. The milky way was quite bright in it.

B-86 is the easiest obvious one to see.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...>
Date: Monday, July 27, 2020 at 3:24 PM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

Got a little imaging time in last night. Not great conditions but at least you could see stars. Needs more integration time for sure and some camera tilt in the some where but here is a look at the head of the seahorse nebula a dark nebula in the constellation Cepheus ... Cheers Ian
Seahorse Nebula

jimcoble2000

I did once at sea. I can't describe it. You had to be there.