Potential STEM outreach event

George Reynolds

We have a request to participate with a daytime display for girls on Sunday, 12 December in the morning in Newport News.  Any Takers?  Here is the detailed event request:

Our 5k celebration allows for our participants and their families some time to participate in activities and to learn about resources available in our community. The celebration will have a space theme, so any space/STEM related activities/information geared for 3rd through 8th grade girls and their families would be terrific.

Date: Sunday, 12/12/2021

Time: 7:00 AM - 11:00 AM Eastern

Mariners' Museum and Park, 100 Museum Drive, Newport News, VA 23606

Setup time can be as early as 6:30 a.m.

Before I approve this event and add it to the BBAA calendar, I would like to know if we can support it with any of our members, either from the Southside or the peninsula.

Brian LaFitte

Edited

I'd be willing to help in whatever way I can. Although I don't know what I'd be able to show given I'm not set up for solar, and there won't be a daytime moon on the 12th.

George Reynolds

Brian,
If you come to the BBAA meeting this Thursday or the BBAA Anniversary Luncheon on Saturday 11 Dec, I can give you some NASA handout materials and you could set up a static display and perhaps let them look through a telescope at a distant terrestrial object.

On Monday, November 29, 2021, 04:40:41 PM EST, Brian LaFitte <tacticalsbr@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I'd be willing to help in whatever way I can. Although I don't know what I'd be able to show given I'm not set up for solar, and there won't be a daytime moon on the 12th.

bob414

SORRY NOT ME!  I will be out of town.

Bob

Date: Sunday, 12/12/2021

Time: 7:00 AM - 11:00 AM Eastern

Mariners' Museum and Park, 100 Museum Drive, Newport News, VA 23606

Setup time can be as early as 6:30 a.m.

Before I approve this event and add it to the BBAA calendar, I would like to know if we can support it with any of our members, either from the Southside or the peninsula.

Jim Tallman

Not I said the duck, there is the stupid tunnel in the way

Jim

Get Outlook for Android

Secretary

Brian,

I have the clubs solar telescope that you can use for the event. It's a Coronado PST and I have the scope and tripod. I will be at the club meeting on Thursday and also at the luncheon on 12/11. Let me know..

Jeff Thornton

On November 29, 2021 4:36 PM Brian LaFitte <tacticalsbr@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd be willing to help in whatever way I can. Although I don't know what I'd be able to show given I'm not set up for solar.
Jeffrey Thornton
Secretary,
Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Brian LaFitte

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 11:39 PM, Secretary wrote:
I have the clubs solar telescope that you can use for the event. It's a Coronado PST

Wow, Thank you. I've not had the opportunity to view our sun through a scope. This will be a learning experience for me and hopefully a decent group of folks at the event. I will do what I can to be at the meeting in person (no promises) but I will be at our  luncheon.

V/r

Jeffrey Thornton

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 08:58 AM, Brian LaFitte wrote:
Coronado PST
It does take some getting use to in order to view the prominence on the Sun. If you have a 1.25" eyepieces, it will work with this scope, but a barlow lens will not. The best EP I have found to use on this is my Vixen 8-24mm zoom. It's also better to use a motorized telescope mount so that you don't have to constantly readjust the scope. Here are a few YouTube videos on how this thing works and I can give you a demo once I hand it over.
  https://www.meade.com/coronado-personal-solar-telescope-p-s-t.html
https://telescopes.net/coronado-pst-1a-personal-solar-telescope.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjb0AFmZme4

Brian LaFitte

I don't have any of that. I have a sky watcher star adventurer, but I doubt that will work. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the heads up Jeff.
--
v/r,
Brian LaFitte

Jeffrey Thornton

That mount is perfect! Just use the mounting plate and attach the PST scope to it and your in business. This scope is less than 5 pounds, so no counter weights are needed.

I don't have any of that. I have a sky watcher star adventurer, but I doubt that will work. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the heads up Jeff.
--
v/r,
Brian LaFitte
USAF Disabled Veteran
DoD Civil Servant

bob414

I agree with Jeff, I have used the SkyWatch Star Adventure and my Lunt 50MM HA solar scope and dual mounted a small 70MM refractor with a solar funnel.  That system worked great for the solar eclipse.

Bob