Polar Alignment

William Rust

Hi everybody.  The Pandemic gave me some incentive to finish an astrojob sitting on my desk waiting for me to polish it up.  I did that in March, and submitted my article to Amateur Astronomy Magazine, Summer 2021.  The title is: "Robust Polar Alignment with Flatness Application".  It works pretty fast (say 45 min for 3 sets of star sightings) to get to about 0.5 arcmin error in Altitude and Azimuth. Anyway,  Anything closer that that requires more sightings and is very tricky.  I thought I would share.  If you do astroimaging, then this would be a technique that might benefit you. I can send you a copy if you dont get AAM.
Bill

Jeff Goldstein

I like the idea! Perhaps a “mini presentation 10 minute” at the next club meeting?  Just my $0.02

Jeff G.

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of William Rust
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 5:38 PM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Polar Alignment

Hi everybody.  The Pandemic gave me some incentive to finish an astrojob sitting on my desk waiting for me to polish it up.  I did that in March, and submitted my article to Amateur Astronomy Magazine, Summer 2021.  The title is: "Robust Polar Alignment with Flatness Application".  It works pretty fast (say 45 min for 3 sets of star sightings) to get to about 0.5 arcmin error in Altitude and Azimuth. Anyway,  Anything closer that that requires more sightings and is very tricky.  I thought I would share.  If you do astroimaging, then this would be a technique that might benefit you. I can send you a copy if you dont get AAM.
Bill

Stu Beaber

If you're imaging, you probably have a computer in the mix anyway. I like Polemaster for polar alignment. It's a QHYCCD camera that you use for really good alignment. The first time you use it, it might take 10 minutes while you read the on screen instructions...after that if it takes more than 3 or 4 minutes, you must have taken a nap.

Oh...and you can even image with it if you care to...

Stu

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 7:40 PM Jeff Goldstein <jeffgold1@...> wrote:

I like the idea! Perhaps a “mini presentation 10 minute” at the next club meeting?  Just my $0.02

Jeff G.

Bill

Jim Tallman

PHD2 does a very good job of it also. But Bill's approach sound interesting ;)

Jim

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

William Rust

I can probably do that in October.  Oh, by the way, I am not trying to compete with out of the box equipment and software.  I just did the math and field tested it.  It works pretty well.  It is a big improvement over the old-style drift method.
Bill

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Jeff Goldstein <jeffgold1@...>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2021 7:40 PM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] Polar Alignment

Jeff G.

Bill

George Reynolds

Bill, your article in AA was fascinating! Your attention to detail and math skills are impeccable. Not being an imager, much of it ( most of it) was over my head, but I was impressed with your work and your patience, and your detailed explanations. BTW, what does "UEPH" stand for?

George

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 11:43, William Rust
<willrust@...> wrote:
I can probably do that in October.  Oh, by the way, I am not trying to compete with out of the box equipment and software.  I just did the math and field tested it.  It works pretty well.  It is a big improvement over the old-style drift method.
Bill

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Jeff Goldstein <jeffgold1@...>

Jeff G.

Bill

Kent Blackwell

I look forward to reading it. I am more into visual observing but dabble into astrophotography. I always have issues with accurate polar alignment. Like Ian, I use electronic polar alignment, the iOptron iPolar. It's kind of overkill on the iOptron SkyTracker Pro since with that device and widefield starscape pictures just pointing the polar axis (with a green laser attached) to Polaris seems to do the trick. I can't wait to read about you method, although you mention 45 minutes. Oh my, anyone who knows Kent Blackwell knows that is requires patience I seem to lack. 

Kent

George Reynolds

BTW, Bill, why did you use 40 degrees N latitude as your location?  Did you go up to Pittsburgh, Pa.?

Also, the typesetter for your article made an error on page 46 in the box at the bottom of column 1.  The delta delta should be a delta sigma.

As I said, a lot of the article was over my head, but I enjoyed reading it.  What is meant by the "flatness" of a star image?

George

George Reynolds

"Solar System Ambassador" for South Hampton Roads, Virginia
Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA) 
http://www.backbayastro.org

On Saturday, August 28, 2021, 09:45:00 AM EDT, George Reynolds <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

Bill, your article in AA was fascinating! Your attention to detail and math skills are impeccable. Not being an imager, much of it ( most of it) was over my head, but I was impressed with your work and your patience, and your detailed explanations. BTW, what does "UEPH" stand for?

George

<willrust@...> wrote:
Bill

Jeff G.

Bill

galacticprobe

Well, they say "Third time's the charm", so let's see...

I've send two requests for the polar alignment as offered in the original post that started this thread (see the bottom of this, and the last line of the initial post: "I can send you a copy if you don't get AAM.").

As you can see in my request to take up on this offer, I don't get AAM because I never knew it existed. I also never received any replies to the emails send to the address below (rather than having to throw this out over the entire Group). So now I'm throwing it over the entire Group. Maybe this way I'll see something.

I don't get AAM. Can I please get a copy of the "Robust Polar Alignment with Flatness Application" as offered? (At this point I would appreciate a response more than the article being offered; no one likes to be ignored.)

I may have been invisibly for a while, but I have still been posting occasionally, and I do still exist.

Dino.

-----Original Message-----
To: willrust@... <willrust@...>
Sent: Sun, Aug 29, 2021 3:29 pm

Hey, Bill,

Did you get my reply to you on this when you first posted it? (I'm just checking because AOL has dropped more than a few emails on me in the past.)

If you could please email me a copy of this I would greatly appreciate it. I don't get the AAM. (Honestly, with all of the different astronomy-related mags out there, I didn't know this one existed until I read your email.) Also, thanks to my military lower back injury I haven't been able to get to any of the BBAA meetings or events for a few years now, so I'm one of those members whose posts you've probable seen occasionally, but you haven't met in person... at least I think.

"Keep looking up!"
Dino.

To: BackBayAstro@groups.io; William Rust <willrust@...>
Sent: Sat, Aug 28, 2021 9:45 am

George

<willrust@...> wrote:
Bill

Jeff G.

Bill

William Rust

I don't really know.   It was printed on the blank I used and is a high-density poly of some sort.  I have had it for ages, and is probably obsolete.  It warps easily, and if the label is wrong, I am wrong.  The closest I could find is UHMW poly, or ultra-high molecular weight poly.

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2021 9:45 AM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io>; William Rust <willrust@...>

George

<willrust@...> wrote:
Bill

Jeff G.

Bill

galacticprobe

UEPH...

Unforced Errors Per Hour - Tennis
Unaccompanied Enlisted Personnel Housing - Military
United Earth Planetary Headquarters - Top Secret Space Exploration Agency (oops: said too much already)
Ultra Efficient Polymer Hybrid - Some sort of membrane

Take your pick. The only other "UEPH" I could find were college-level course code numbers relating to physics (i.e. UEPH-104, UEPH-105, etc.), with no explanation of what the "UEPH" stood for in the courses.

Dino.
P. S. Has anyone gotten any emails I've sent out in the past couple of weeks regarding this Polar Alignment article in AAM - which is a mag I don't get? Asking because something else I'm not getting: responses to those emails I've sent out. (Starting to no longer feel welcome around here.)

Sent: Thu, Sep 2, 2021 3:09 pm

I don't really know.   It was printed on the blank I used and is a high-density poly of some sort.  I have had it for ages, and is probably obsolete.  It warps easily, and if the label is wrong, I am wrong.  The closest I could find is UHMW poly, or ultra-high molecular weight poly.

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2021 9:45 AM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io>; William Rust <willrust@...>

George

<willrust@...> wrote:
Bill

Jeff G.

Bill

Jim Tallman

Lol.. we didn't get this email either Dino 😎

Jim

Get Outlook for Android

George Reynolds

Dino,

I will send you the info on Amateur Astronomy Magazine when I get home from church. (I am replying to your message instead of singing during the song service.) 
:-)

George

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 5:10, Jim Tallman
<jctallman@...> wrote:
Lol.. we didn't get this email either Dino 😎

Jim

Get Outlook for Android