From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of William Rust
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 5:38 PM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: [BackBayAstro] Polar Alignment

Hi everybody.  The Pandemic gave me some incentive to finish an astrojob sitting on my desk waiting for me to polish it up.  I did that in March, and submitted my article to Amateur Astronomy Magazine, Summer 2021.  The title is: "Robust Polar Alignment with Flatness Application".  It works pretty fast (say 45 min for 3 sets of star sightings) to get to about 0.5 arcmin error in Altitude and Azimuth. Anyway,  Anything closer that that requires more sightings and is very tricky.  I thought I would share.  If you do astroimaging, then this would be a technique that might benefit you. I can send you a copy if you dont get AAM.
Bill

Stu Beaber

If you're imaging, you probably have a computer in the mix anyway. I like Polemaster for polar alignment. It's a QHYCCD camera that you use for really good alignment. The first time you use it, it might take 10 minutes while you read the on screen instructions...after that if it takes more than 3 or 4 minutes, you must have taken a nap.

Oh...and you can even image with it if you care to...

Stu

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 7:40 PM Jeff Goldstein <jeffgold1@...> wrote:

I like the idea! Perhaps a “mini presentation 10 minute” at the next club meeting?  Just my $0.02

Jeff G.