Patterson Observatory (Sierra Vista AZ)

Ted Forte

I have probably mentioned the Patterson Observatory a few times on this forum.  I’ve been “Director” at this observatory since 2013. It’s sort of the club house for our astronomy club and a center of many of our outreach events. It’s pretty much my second home here.

The Patterson Observatory is listed as a NASA Space Place and has a 16 foot dome, housing a Ritchey-Chretien telescope of 20” aperture.

my.matterport.com

The 3D tour of the observatory was created by Ryan Straight, a professor at the University of Arizona, College of Applied Science and Technology cyber program. I hope you enjoy it.

Ted

BBAA Southwest

Ian Stewart

Wonderful tour Ted. thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Ian

On Sep 2, 2021, at 3:27 PM, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

I have probably mentioned the Patterson Observatory a few times on this forum.  I’ve been “Director” at this observatory since 2013. It’s sort of the club house for our astronomy club and a center of many of our outreach events. It’s pretty much my second home here.

The Patterson Observatory is listed as a NASA Space Place and has a 16 foot dome, housing a Ritchey-Chretien telescope of 20” aperture.

my.matterport.com

The 3D tour of the observatory was created by Ryan Straight, a professor at the University of Arizona, College of Applied Science and Technology cyber program. I hope you enjoy it.

Ted

BBAA Southwest

Paul

What a cool place, Ted! The virtual tour is outstanding. And so many cool things are showcased. Quite a talented group of people! Even the building is pretty cool with its "constellation windows."  Thanks for sharing!
 - Paul

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 3:27 PM Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

I have probably mentioned the Patterson Observatory a few times on this forum.  I’ve been “Director” at this observatory since 2013. It’s sort of the club house for our astronomy club and a center of many of our outreach events. It’s pretty much my second home here.

The Patterson Observatory is listed as a NASA Space Place and has a 16 foot dome, housing a Ritchey-Chretien telescope of 20” aperture.

The 3D tour of the observatory was created by Ryan Straight, a professor at the University of Arizona, College of Applied Science and Technology cyber program. I hope you enjoy it.

Ted

BBAA Southwest

Kent Blackwell

The Patterson Observatory looks fantastic. Great tour, too.

Ted Forte

The camera is pretty cool.  You position it and get out of it’s field of view. It’s controlled by a computer tablet.  The camera exposes while rotating 360 degrees , when it’s done  the result shows up on the tablet and you can accept it or not.  For the next image , the software will report on the overlap and reject the image if it’s insufficient.  It took a little under two hours to record.

The Patterson Observatory looks fantastic. Great tour, too.

Matthew Cook

Technology is so cool sometimes!

On Sep 3, 2021, at 10:24, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

The camera is pretty cool.  You position it and get out of it’s field of view. It’s controlled by a computer tablet.  The camera exposes while rotating 360 degrees , when it’s done  the result shows up on the tablet and you can accept it or not.  For the next image , the software will report on the overlap and reject the image if it’s insufficient.  It took a little under two hours to record.

<image003.jpg>

The Patterson Observatory looks fantastic. Great tour, too.

George Reynolds

Outstanding!  I loved the tour.  You've got an excellent facility there.

On Thursday, September 2, 2021, 03:27:44 PM EDT, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

I have probably mentioned the Patterson Observatory a few times on this forum.  I’ve been “Director” at this observatory since 2013. It’s sort of the club house for our astronomy club and a center of many of our outreach events. It’s pretty much my second home here.

The Patterson Observatory is listed as a NASA Space Place and has a 16 foot dome, housing a Ritchey-Chretien telescope of 20” aperture.

my.matterport.com

The 3D tour of the observatory was created by Ryan Straight, a professor at the University of Arizona, College of Applied Science and Technology cyber program. I hope you enjoy it.

Ted

BBAA Southwest

charles jagow

Ted,

How should a nearly blind and bald dude pronounce Huachuca?

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Ted Forte <tedforte511@...>
Date: Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 1:27 PM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

I have probably mentioned the Patterson Observatory a few times on this forum.  I’ve been “Director” at this observatory since 2013. It’s sort of the club house for our astronomy club and a center of many of our outreach events. It’s pretty much my second home here.

The Patterson Observatory is listed as a NASA Space Place and has a 16 foot dome, housing a Ritchey-Chretien telescope of 20” aperture.

my.matterport.com

The 3D tour of the observatory was created by Ryan Straight, a professor at the University of Arizona, College of Applied Science and Technology cyber program. I hope you enjoy it.

Ted

BBAA Southwest

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

charles jagow

Ted,

Just now wandered around the online Patterson Observatory, very familiar controls for anyone “house-hunting” these days, very good job and well thought out stopping points.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and with the ability to zoom in almost anywhere, it was like being there in person.  I wonder if we could set something like this up in Kent’s garage, just to view the number and variety of telescopes?

How should a nearly blind and bald dude pronounce Huachuca?

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Ted Forte <tedforte511@...>
Date: Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 1:27 PM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

[...]

We think its pretty cool – I’ve even had feedback from NASA! Patterson is a member of the NASA Museum Alliance and the administrator of that program wrote me to tell me how neat he thought it was! (By the way, that NASA rep is Jeff Nee of JPL and he grew up in Virginia Beach – remembers the Virginia Beach Planetarium.)

So, as payment for the tour, I’m supposed to mention that it was produced by the MA-VR-X Lab at CAST (University of Arizona’s College of Applied Science and Technology) and it resides on a US Army server.  That’s at Fort Waa Chew Ka,  Chuck. By the way, if you have a copy of the movie Scent of a Woman (1992), Al Pacino mentions Fort Huachuca and pronounces it correctly.

Everything here, it seems, is named either Huachuca or Cochise.