From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roy Diffrient
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 8:31 AM
To: BBAA Groups Io <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] OR SP Cancelled

Another great star party cancelled for another year – the Oregon SP location has been declared unsafe because of the fires out there.

Too bad – even though too far to travel often (I’ll get there someday), I always look forward to seeing the results of Mel Bartels’ Telescope Walkabout.  Oregon has a lot of amateur telescope making activity, and the new scopes are exhibited every year at this SP.  Mel conducts this Walkabout to allow each telescope maker to present his work to those appreciative and interested, and discuss the features and innovations, what worked and what could be improved.  Here’s a Walkabout example – how about a 24” f/2.75 automated Newt that crawls around on caterpillar treads and auto-levels?

Lots of other Walkabout results online.

Of course I must say that this is completely insignificant compared to the great losses and personal tragedies of those affected by the fires.  Here’s hoping for the best, a quick end to the nightmare, and better times to come.

Roy

On Jul 18, 2021, at 11:36 AM, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Pretty cool Roy. The cleverness and ingenuity of the ATM crowd never ceases to amaze.  It’s a shame the party was canceled.

Ted