Observing Report Jan 18 2022

Kent Blackwell

It was cold last night, dropping down to 25 degrees but the sky was very clear with excellent seeing. The downside was a full moon. That’s not too much an issue when observing double stars though.

First up was seeing a wonderful pass-by of the ISS. The attached picture shows Jupiter below the trail.

Next was looking for the near-Earth asteroid 7483. Mark O saw it but try as I might I had no success.

List: 21/01/19 Takahashi TOA 150 Asteroid 7482

ISS (ZARYA)

(Satellite in Hydra)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 6:25:07 AM

Comment: A wonderful pass-by of the ISS, rose in the west, passing left of Jupiter and rising 68 degrees at -3.3 magnitude.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

Alrischa - Alpha Psc

(Variable Double Star in Pisces)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:38:47 PM

Comment: Struve 202

1.8"

Beautiful pair of white stars.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 16.07 Moon 79% 41°H 66%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

(7482)

(Asteroid in Andromeda)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:42:34 PM

Comment: Mark Ost saw it several times but I could not see it no matter how much I tried.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 11386

(Double Star in Aries)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:22:43 PM

Comment: Struve 178

3.0"

Tight pair of pretty yellow stars

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 11487

(Double Star in Aries)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:24:25 PM

Comment: Struve 178

1.1"

Tight pair of pale yellow stars

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

1 Arietis

(Double Star in Aries)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:26:40 PM

Comment: Struve 174

2.8"

Gorgeous colors, the primary is orange and the secondary is pale blue

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

10 Arietis

(Double Star in Aries)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:30:50 PM

Comment: Struve 208

1.6"

This pair look closer to me than 1.6". The primary is orange and the secondary is light yellow

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 12824

(Double Star in Aries)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:32:24 PM

Comment: Struve 212

1.9"

Nearly equal pair of blue stars

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 14066

(Double Star in Aries)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:33:28 PM

Comment: 4.8"

Nearly equal pair of 8th magnitude blue stars

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 15256

(Double Star in Triangulum)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:34:47 PM

Comment: Struve 269

1.6"

Lovely pair of stars. The primary is orange and the secondary is light blue

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

IC 418

(Planetary Nebula in Lepus)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:52:30 PM

Comment: This looks amazingly good. The central star ia quite bright

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

Trapezium - Theta1 Ori

(Variable Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:55:48 PM

Comment: The Trapezium looked wonderful tonight. All 6 stars were easily seen. I'm amazed at how the Takahashi TOA 150 shows the 6th star as deep blue.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 36263

(Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:58:23 PM

Comment: Struve 726

1.1”

A pair of 7.5 and 8.5 magnitude blue stars.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

119 Tauri

(Variable Star in Taurus)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:02:17 PM

Comment: Deep red 4.36 magnitude carbon star. 1800 light years away and 20,000 times more luminous than the sun.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 34251

(Double Star in Taurus)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:04:28 PM

Comment: Struve 670

2.7"

Tight pair of blue stars

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

Rigel - Beta Ori

(Variable Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:10:36 PM

Comment: Absolutely beautiful bright blue double star

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 35673

(Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:15:33 PM

Comment: Struve 712

3.2"

6.5 & 8.6 magnitude

Mark Ost suggested this. The primary is blue and the secondary is light blue

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 35148

(Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:18:42 PM

Comment: Struve 696

32"

Gorgeous pair of stars. The primary is blue-white and the secondary is pure blue

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 28°H 79%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 35067

(Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:20:37 PM

Comment: Deep orange 7th magnitude star that's actually a red giant 1100 light years away and 43 times the size of our sun

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 27°H 81%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 52715

(Double Star in Gemini)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:26:48 PM

Comment: No Struve number

1.0"

7.9 & 8.7 magnitude tight pair of blue stars. One of two stars observed tonight at 1.0" separation.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 27°H 81%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 55283

(Double Star in Gemini)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:28:22 PM

Comment: 2.1"

Tight pair of magnitude contrasting stars. The primary is yellow in the secondary is blue

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 27°H 81%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

Hubble's Variable Nebula - NGC 2261

(Bright Nebula in Monoceros)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:31:28 PM

Comment: Quite faint on this full moon night but nevertheless I could see the "shuttle cock" shape. It really requires a moonless night and more aperture to fully appreciate.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 27°H 81%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

HD 42859

(Double Star in Orion)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:42:41 PM

Comment: No Struve

1.0”

7.9 & 8.6 magnitude

At 1.0" separation, this isbone of the two tightest doubles I split tonight, and one of the tightest I've ever split. Each component is blue-white.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 27°H 81%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

NGC 2362

(Open Cluster in Canis Major)

Observed: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:55:24 PM

Comment: This is one of my favorite open clusters. The first time I noticed the bright star Tau is a triple star, or it appears to be. Whether it's true triple I don't know. This very remote open cluster is absolutely gorgeous in a refractor telescope.

Location: Virginia Beach SQML 17.95 Full Moon 27°H 81%

Equipment: 150mm Takahashi TOA 150, 7mm Pentax

Seeing: 9

Transparency: 9

jimcoble2000

Was that the ISS or was it the failed asteroid deflection mission from Don't Look Up?

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022, 08:51:58 AM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

It was cold last night, dropping down to 25 degrees but the sky was very clear with excellent seeing. The downside was a full moon. That’s not too much an issue when observing double stars though.

First up was seeing a wonderful pass-by of the ISS. The attached picture shows Jupiter below the trail.

Next was looking for the near-Earth asteroid 7483. Mark O saw it but try as I might I had no success.

List: 21/01/19 Takahashi TOA 150 Asteroid 7482

[...]

Ian Stewart

Nice pic Kent. Thanks for the observing notes as well. Sounds like you and Mark had a great evening.

On 1/19/2022 8:51 AM, Kent Blackwell wrote:
It was cold last night, dropping down to 25 degrees but the sky was very clear with excellent seeing. The downside was a full moon. That’s not too much an issue when observing double stars though.

First up was seeing a wonderful pass-by of the ISS. The attached picture shows Jupiter below the trail.

Next was looking for the near-Earth asteroid 7483. Mark O saw it but try as I might I had no success.

Jonathan Scheetz

I was out last night and I agree that the ISS pass last night was fantastic.  The pass was almost surreal, it was so bright and just moved so beautifully.  For me it was the best pass I've seen of the ISS.

My goal was to try and see mag 9 comet Borrelly in my 8" SCT which is supposed to be at its brightest on the 20th.  With the upcoming forecast not looking so great it seemed like last night be the best opportunity even though there was a full moon  I decided to give it a try.  I'm not 100% positive that I saw it but I think I did. I'm sure I matched up to the location per the starfield where it was supposed to be.  At 85x I couldn't make out anything.  At 145x and 203x I was able to make out a very dim fuzzy ball using averted vision.  I did not observe any tail.  According to SkySafari there wasn't anything else at the location so I think that was it (spiral galaxy NGC 327 was nearby but it was mag 13.41 so I'm pretty sure I wasn't looking at that).  So, I think I saw it.  I'll try again a little later without a full moon perhaps at one of the upcoming Cornland watches and see what I think.

Has anyone else been able to see Borrelly?  It is supposed to be one of the best predicted comets of the year.

I also spent some think looking at Uranus and some other messier objects - the full moon was pretty much washing out everything except star clusters.

Before I went in, I spent a few minutes blinding myself looking at the full moon.  Didn't bother with a filter since I was just taking a quick glance.

It was cold but very enjoyable.

Kent Blackwell

Nice report, Jonathan. I haven't seen Comet Borrelly but you must have surely seen it since there's nothing else "fuzzy-looking" in the immediate field of view. Magnitude listings of comets are deceiving. It might be 9th magnitude, but it's also extended. Try racing a star out of focus and see how dim an enlarged "9th magnitude" image can be.

Kent

Shawn Loescher

I also tried to see the asteroid but after 30 minutes I gave up and looked at the Orion nebula trapezium instead. I was able to see 6 stars and Teri came out to look as well. We also took a look at the Pleiades before heading into the warmth.

jimcoble2000

Shawn, you have failed humanity and now the earth is doomedEmoji