Observing Jupiter & Saturn

Kent Blackwell

Despite hazy skies Tuesday night the seeing was incredible. Saturn and Jupiter looked better than I have ever seen them in the 25”. Saturn was 3-D like at 250x. Color filters often help to see details in Jupiter’s belts. I often use a green filter such as a Wratten 56 or 58. Just by chance I tried a Lumicon Comet filter. You won’t believe how much intricate belt detail is visible with that filter. If you have such a filter look at Jupiter the next time you’re observing.

jimcoble2000

Thanks for a great night. It was a planet night for sure. We saw a blizzard of Saturn's moons in the 25. I was able to see three of the faint moons close to the planet in the five inch.

I would not have believed that a comet filter showed what it did on Jupiter. It is sort of a supercharged 56 or 58 green on steroids. Very rarely seen bands in the polar region were accessible tonight in traditional green and the comet filter. Between the main two equatorial belts the comet filter showed many details not visible under normal conditions.

I followed the red spot across the planet tonight for a few hours. The goal was to see if perhaps any trace of the reported impact could be seen. It seems to have left no trace but there was so much else to see that the chase was worth it. Two very dark ovals were visible in the northern equatorial belt. The great red spot is a bit pale this year but the Southern Equatorial belt is intense red. There is dark turbulence in front of the red spot. Jupiter rotates at quite high speed so it only took about 4.5 hours to watch it traverse the face tonight.

We visited Neptune in the 25 inch and I believe we saw Triton tonight with averted vision. I have seen it several times in dark skies with an 18 inch scope and maybe my 12.5 . In the 25 it took careful observation from the suburbs but it was in the correct position and right magnitude 13.5.

The sky looked terrible at 7 but by midnight things had progressed nicely.

On Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 11:28:06 PM EDT, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

Despite hazy skies Tuesday night the seeing was incredible. Saturn and Jupiter looked better than I have ever seen them in the 25”. Saturn was 3-D like at 250x. Color filters often help to see details in Jupiter’s belts. I often use a green filter such as a Wratten 56 or 58. Just by chance I tried a Lumicon Comet filter. You won’t believe how much intricate belt detail is visible with that filter. If you have such a filter look at Jupiter the next time you’re observing.

charles jagow

The seeing here was poor could barely see cloud bands on Jupiter, the Cassini division was on vacation…

Early Wednesday morning, checking out Orion in my 20” and the seeing was worse than the previous evening.  It sure looked nice and sparkly in the 38 degree morning temps here on my driveway.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory