Observing double stars with a Meade ETX 125

Kent Blackwell

The sky cleared briefly last night. Rather than setting up a large telescope I opted for the "De-Forked" Meade ETX 125.

List: 22/06/21 ETX125 Solstice

Xi Scorpii
(Double Star in Scorpius)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:31:59 PM
Comment: A gorgeous triple star. The wide primary is gold with a pair of tight blue stars.
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Messier 5
(Globular Cluster in Serpens)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:36:47 PM
Comment: M 5 looked quite descent. I could just barely resolve it though
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 24mm Meade
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

5 Serpentis
(Variable Double Star in Serpens)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:39:33 PM
Comment: At 11" not all that tight but the primary is 5th magnitude and the secondary is 10th
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Delta Serpentis
(Variable Double Star in Serpens)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:41:27 PM
Comment: 4.0"
Beautiful pair of blue-white stars
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

HR 5831
(Double Star in Serpens)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:43:41 PM
Comment: Bright 6th magnitude primary and 10.2 magnitude secondary. Challenging to see the faint secondary on this hazy night
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Marsic - Kappa Her
(Variable Double Star in Hercules)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:47:04 PM
Comment: 29"
Gold primary and a pale red secondary. The pair are not a physical double, but rather a line of site pair.
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Gamma Herculis
(Variable Double Star in Hercules)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:48:27 PM
Comment: Very pretty double star but with magnitude contrast. The primary is 3rd magnitude and the secondary is 10th so the primary is 500 times brighter
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Sarin - Delta Her
(Variable Double Star in Hercules)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:50:27 PM
Comment: 12.7"
A very pretty pair but with magnitude contrast. The brilliant white primary is 3rd magnitude and the secondary is 8.3.
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Hercules Cluster - M 13
(Globular Cluster in Hercules)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:56:30 PM
Comment: Even in light polluted skies M 13 resolves nicely with just 5" of aperture.
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Sigma Coronae Borealis
(Variable Double Star in Corona Borealis)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:58:33 PM
Comment: 7.3"
Beautiful pair of 7th magnitude yellow stars
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Graffias - Beta2 Sco
(Double Star in Scorpius)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:01:33 PM
Comment: Pretty pair of widely separated stars. The primary is pure white and the secondary is blue
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Messier 80
(Globular Cluster in Scorpius)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:03:14 PM
Comment: M 80 has always been one of my favorite globular cluster. Fairly large with high surface brightness
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Pi1 Bootis
(Variable Double Star in Bootes)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:07:11 PM
Comment: 5.4"
Tight little pair of equal blue stars lying 200 light years away
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Xi Bootis
(Variable Double Star in Bootes)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:08:10 PM
Comment: 5.0"
Showcase double star. The primary is orange and the secondary is blood red. The secondary is only half the size of our sun and cooler
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

37 Comae Berenices
(Variable Double Star in Coma Berenices)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:12:19 PM
Comment: Red, possible carbon star, 555 times the luminosity of the sun
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Cor Caroli - Alpha2 CVn
(Variable Double Star in Canes Venatici)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:15:05 PM
Comment: This is one of the finest double stars in the late spring, early summer sky. The primary is blue-white and the secondary is pure blue, with an orbital period of 7900 years.
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

2 Canum Venaticorum
(Double Star in Canes Venatici)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:20:08 PM
Comment: Deep red carbon star, also an 11" separation double star. Although it's 40% cooler than the sun it's 100 times larger!
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

54 Leonis
(Double Star in Leo)
Observed: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:38:30 PM
Comment: 6.7"
Yellow 4.5 magnitude primary and a 6.3 magnitude pale blue secondary.
Location: Virginia Beach SQM-L 17.4, 67° H 55%
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Jonathan Scheetz

Hi Kent.  I always enjoy reading your observing reports; I log my observations in SkySafari as I make them.  I was wondering what do you use to record your observations?

Thanks

Jonathan

Jim Tallman

Chisel, hammer, & stone tablet

😎

Get Outlook for Android

jimcoble2000

I just prefer to forget. That way it is fresh every time.

On Friday, June 24, 2022 at 12:07:55 PM EDT, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:

Chisel, hammer, & stone tablet

😎

Get Outlook for Android