November 20 Saturday “SUN” day

Jeffrey Thornton

We had around 10 guests show up to look through George Reynolds and the clubs’ telescopes. George had his trusty 80mm short tube Refractor Telescope fitted with a sun funnel and I had the 40mm Coronado PST H-Alpha Telescope.  We were both able to see two small, about the size of the earth, sunspots and I was able to see prominences around the 11 to 1 o’clock positions. One thing we saw that I have never seen before were what looked like two rivers on the surface! These were in the upper half of the sun and at first, I though that lint or dust had gotten into either the EP or inside the scope. After pulling the EP out and brushing it and the diagonal off, it was still there. They both moved from where we first saw them in the north at 10 AM a location to the east by 12:45 PM. Wondering if anyone else happen to see this on Saturday November 20, 2021 or can explain what we were seeing.

Jeff Thornton

jimcoble2000

When you say rivers were they dark or brighter than the surface?

If dark, those are filaments which are prominences that you are viewing from above. They appear dark due to shifts in the wave length of Ha light moving toward you from the doppler effect. Sometime to see these more clearly you have tor tune the scope off the optimal setting used for prominences in profile. Usually it is easier to see these features with double filters that narrow the band pass of the light to a tighter window. The double filter is also more tunable and shows surface features better than single filters.

If what you describe was bright, especially around sunspots, these are very hot regions due to magnetic effects on the sun. Very bright lines are actually what solar flares look like. Prominences are frequently mistaken for flares in the popular imagination.

Under good conditions if a prom is very close to the limb of the sun you can see the transition from prominence to filament making it look very three dimensional.

On Monday, November 22, 2021, 07:52:56 AM EST, Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh my last post only applies to Ha scopes and not to white light scopes. Which scope did you see this in?

[...]

charles jagow

Jeff,
Those are big filaments which are prominences or flares that you were looking “down” upon.

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Nov 22, 2021, at 05:52, Jeffrey Thornton <jeff7500@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information. It looked like the sun was cracking open... This was through the Coronado PST H-Alpha Telescope. The standard one opposed to the double stacked version. As I adjusted the tuning ring, the "rivers" did in fact appeared darker.

Like I said, I have never seen this before, but then again, I just did start looking at the sun through the H-Alpha this summer.

jimcoble2000

you got it!