North Landing Elementary Discovery Night

Rick Bish <2bookworms@cox.net> <2bookworms@...>

Just a reminder to all BBAA-ers that North Landing Elementary School
is having their "Discovery Night" Tuesday night at 7:00 until 8:30.
Now, if this event is anything like last week's Science Expo, it's
going to be great, not only for the kids who show up, but also for
the parents and teachers as well!
Actually, I think some of the older folks were as excited at seeing
Saturn, the weather bands on Jupiter, and the craters on the moon, as
much as the kids were!
Just remember:you don't have to be an astronomy expert to help out!
If that was the case, I wouldn't be able to go!
Dick Moncure, Ted Forte, George Reynolds, and I had four scopes set
up last week. We seemed to have a non-stop line (of kids and adults)
by each scope until time to go. It was really a fun evening!
Tomorrow's event is supposed to be even bigger! I know we can use
more scopes for this event (six would be nice!)and some folks to
remain inside to talk and pass out materials, as well.
It seemed as though all of us who went last week had a great time. I
know we all left in great moods. The smiles on the kids faces as they
looked up from my eyepiece, things they said like: "Awesome!"
and "Cool!" made the trip out to Chesapeake more than worth it. It
was a thrill to know that some of these kids were discovering these
celestial objects for the first time in their lives.
I thought to myself, Who knows...maybe there's a Ken Broun in the
crowd? Mr. Broun got his start in astronomy by viewing Saturn for the
first time through a friend's telescope...did you know that?
The address is: North Landing Elementary School, 2929 North Landing
Road in Virginia Beach (behind the VoTech School). 427-6600 Our Point
of contact is Ms. Tracy Coffin. 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Come on out, if you can make it!
Rick Bish

George Reynolds

Great email, Rick!  See you tomorrow night.

George

 "Rick Bish <2bookworms@...>" <2bookworms@...> wrote:

[...]

George Reynolds, Deputy Commander, Tidewater South Section Royal Rangers

Visit my Web page:  http://www.geocities.com/pathfinder027/spacex.html

 Member, Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA)  http://groups.hamptonroads.com/BBAA/

Do you Yahoo!?

Richard Moncure <sundog@...>

I'll be there Rick.
Dick

twforte@...

In a message dated 2/17/2003 7:46:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, George Reynolds <pathfinder027@...> writes:

Great email, Rick! �See you tomorrow night.
George
"Rick Bish <2bookworms@...>" <2bookworms@...> wrote:Just a reminder to all BBAA-ers that North Landing Elementary School
is having their "Discovery Night" Tuesday night at 7:00 until 8:30.
Yes, Great email, Rick. I'll be there. If the weather clears, I'll set up the 18 if we can find a dry spot. If its cloudy, well, I have an ample supply of moon maps and star charts compliments of Dr Hitt and the Chesapeake Planetarium. See you there.

Ted

Georgie <doublestarjune@msn.com>

Have a great time tonight at North Landing!  I hope the clouds go away long enough for some small person to get a glimpse of something "cool!"

I'll be thinking about ya'll!

georgie