My 2021 S&T articles

Ted Forte

Please forgive me a bit of shameless self-promotion.

I just received my advance copies of the January 2021 Sky &Telescope which includes my article: “Winter’s Galaxy Groups “ (Head off the beaten path to expand your January observing list). 

That will be closely followed by my contribution to the March 2021 issue titled: “Springtime blossoms – a tour of Planetary Nebulae.”

I’ll have one more piece in 2021 – the September “Going Deep” column will be mine.

I don’t know about you, but I sense a real effort toward revitalization of S&T now that it has become a publication of the American Astronomical Society.   For better or worse, there is a new respect for changes in the hobby too.  There will be a new column that alternates every other month between something called “Suburban Stargazer”  by Ken Hewitt-White that will focus on what you can do from the light polluted suburbs and “First Exposure” (multiple authors) which is advice for the nascent astro-photographer.  Also new in the new year is “Pro-Am Conjunction”  by Diana Hannikainen that will report on professional/amateur collaborations.  

And in case you didn’t know, astronomy club  members can subscribe to S&T for $32.95 (40% off of the regular $54.95 rate).

Ted

BBAA west

Ian Stewart

Good on you Ted!

On 11/29/2020 12:31 PM, Ted Forte wrote:

I just received my advance copies of the January 2021 Sky &Telescope which includes my article: “Winter’s Galaxy Groups “ (Head off the beaten path to expand your January observing list). 

That will be closely followed by my contribution to the March 2021 issue titled: “Springtime blossoms – a tour of Planetary Nebulae.”

I’ll have one more piece in 2021 – the September “Going Deep” column will be mine.

I don’t know about you, but I sense a real effort toward revitalization of S&T now that it has become a publication of the American Astronomical Society.   For better or worse, there is a new respect for changes in the hobby too.  There will be a new column that alternates every other month between something called “Suburban Stargazer”  by Ken Hewitt-White that will focus on what you can do from the light polluted suburbs and “First Exposure” (multiple authors) which is advice for the nascent astro-photographer.  Also new in the new year is “Pro-Am Conjunction”  by Diana Hannikainen that will report on professional/amateur collaborations.  

And in case you didn’t know, astronomy club  members can subscribe to S&T for $32.95 (40% off of the regular $54.95 rate).

Ted

BBAA west

Roy Diffrient

Congrats Ted and thanks for the heads-up.  Looking forward to the improvements.  Now, about ATM ...

Roy

On Nov 29, 2020, at 12:31 PM, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Ted

BBAA west

Kent Blackwell

I've enjoyed this hobby 50 years, and never stop learning. Ted, I like reading your articles and comparing your notes to mine . S&T has long been the standard, despite Astronomy Magazine having a larger subscription base. I agree with Roy, ATM is certainly not covered as well as observational astronomy.

I might be old but I'm computer savvy. I hardly ever (read never)  use printed star maps with such great digital maps available. But, when it comes to digital copies of S&T read on my little iPhone vs a printed magazine, well, there is no comparison. I'd much rather flip through the pages at my leisure!

Kent 

jimcoble2000

And anyway you can't start a fire with your I phone or Android after you read the article.

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 9:14:42 AM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

I've enjoyed this hobby 50 years, and never stop learning. Ted, I like reading your articles and comparing your notes to mine . S&T has long been the standard, despite Astronomy Magazine having a larger subscription base. I agree with Roy, ATM is certainly not covered as well as observational astronomy.

I might be old but I'm computer savvy. I hardly ever (read never)  use printed star maps with such great digital maps available. But, when it comes to digital copies of S&T read on my little iPhone vs a printed magazine, well, there is no comparison. I'd much rather flip through the pages at my leisure!

Kent 

Ted Forte

Yeah.  I’m the modern equivalent of some 15th century cleric, clinging to my scrolls and bemoaning Gutenberg’s printing press as some new-fangled abomination. Like you, Kent, in everything but star atlases, I favor the print and paper version of books and magazines. I can maybe abide a digital periodical, but I absolutely abhor the kindle book revolution. I hope to be dead or blind before the age of bound and printed books ebbs away.

While I’m a great fan of digital star maps, I’m not as divorced from printed atlases as you.  My Uranometria sits right next to my two computers on my observatory desk and I still consider Orion’s Deep Map 600 as my most indispensable accessory when I’m “in the field”.   I like the “big picture at a glance” aspect of the printed map and I use Uranometria when exploring an area of the sky with the 30. The digital map can be too confined and lead to your missing something just off the screen.  But of course, no printed atlas can provide the zoomed in accuracy of the digital planetarium programs. Used in conjunction, I feel well informed.

Oh, BTW, what’s an “iPhone”?

Ted

BBAA west

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kent Blackwell
Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 7:15 AM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] My 2021 S&T articles

Kent 

George Reynolds

Ted,

I unfortunately let my S&T subscription lapse, but I am going to have to re-subscribe, so I can get your articles!  The projected articles you mention sound intriguing.

My Astronomy magazine subscription is still active, for at least two more years.  I can get it for much less than $32.95, through third-party sources, like Publishers Clearing House.  That said, I may have to bite the bullet and shell out $33 for S&T, as I can't find it discounted more than that anywhere else.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving.  Best wishes for a merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.

George

George Reynolds

"Solar System Ambassador" for South Hampton Roads, Virginia
Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA) 
http://www.backbayastro.org

On Sunday, November 29, 2020, 12:32:01 PM EST, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Ted

BBAA west

Ted Forte

Shame on you George Reynolds! 

Seriously, Astronomy now has a painless on-line subscription link for club members.  For S&T it still seems easier to get the club discount by calling (and having the club’s code handy). 

I suppose, there are better deals than the club rate available out there for either magazine, but the point is, no one has to pay the full subscription price.

Print media is a tough sell these days and I’m afraid the magazines are heading for oblivion at some point in the not too distant future. I for one, will mourn their passage. 

Ted

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of George Reynolds via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 10:10 AM

Ted,

I unfortunately let my S&T subscription lapse, but I am going to have to re-subscribe, so I can get your articles!  The projected articles you mention sound intriguing.

My Astronomy magazine subscription is still active, for at least two more years.  I can get it for much less than $32.95, through third-party sources, like Publishers Clearing House.  That said, I may have to bite the bullet and shell out $33 for S&T, as I can't find it discounted more than that anywhere else.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving.  Best wishes for a merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.

George

George Reynolds

On Sunday, November 29, 2020, 12:32:01 PM EST, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Ted

BBAA west

Richard Saunders

"Seriously, Astronomy now has a painless on-line subscription link for club members.  For S&T it still seems easier to get the club discount by calling (and having the club’s code handy). "

So my question is, what is the club's code?

Scott

On December 1, 2020 at 1:05 PM Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Seriously, Astronomy now has a painless on-line subscription link for club members.  For S&T it still seems easier to get the club discount by calling (and having the club’s code handy). 

I suppose, there are better deals than the club rate available out there for either magazine, but the point is, no one has to pay the full subscription price.

Print media is a tough sell these days and I’m afraid the magazines are heading for oblivion at some point in the not too distant future. I for one, will mourn their passage. 

Ted

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of George Reynolds via groups.io

Ted,

George

George Reynolds

Ted

BBAA west

charles jagow

I just spent some “quality” time on the phone with the two magazine’s subscription departments.  What I learned first of all is that Sky & Telescope will after today NO LONGER OFFER AN ASTRONOMY CLUB DISCOUNT of $32.95 per year for the BBAA.  And absolutely no multi-year subscription discount.  Sky & Telescope MAY offer us some form of discount in the future, but not now.  I had to speak with supposedly a manager of subscriptions to coerce them into honoring the $32.95 per year TODAY for one two year renewal and a one year renewal.  They were not kind or helpful at all on the phone at ALL!

The second phone call to Astronomy went just fine, our discount is still $34 a year, however club members can get the same rate calling them and letting them know they are part of the BBAA.

My STRONG recommendation is that the BBAA get out of the magazine subscription business unless some one can cut a “deal” that is favorable to the club with Sky & Telescope.

I also strongly suggest that the club’s store on the website increase the cost of the Sky & Telescope subscription to about $60 a year until a new club rate can be negotiated.  They were NOT in the mood to negotiate when I called.

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Dec 1, 2020, at 3:55 PM, Richard Saunders <rsaun58043@...> wrote:

"Seriously, Astronomy now has a painless on-line subscription link for club members.  For S&T it still seems easier to get the club discount by calling (and having the club’s code handy). "

So my question is, what is the club's code?

Scott

On December 1, 2020 at 1:05 PM Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Ted

Ted,

George

George Reynolds

Ted

BBAA west

Shawn Loescher

We have a couple of options for the website. I can remove the code for the astronomy magazine section all together and people can call to negotiate their own rate or I can log back into PayPal and update the code to reflect the higher cost Chuck mentions above. Let me know.

Jeffrey Thornton

Just went to the S&T subscription page and found out that the new price for a Astronomy Club Member is $43.95 for print and digital. $35.95 for digital alone. It's now $54.95 for print and digital without the discount.  Interesting, there is no place on the order form to put your club's information. This is a sizable increase in price and I believe we, BBAA, should drop the S&T magazine option on the website.

If you look at the FAQ's on the S&T subscription page, you will find this blurb regarding what happen.

I purchased my digital subscription through Zinio, what do I do now?
The American Astronomical Society will honor subscriptions paid to F+W Media prior to our purchase of Sky & Telescope on July 3, 2019. After the purchase, we contracted with a different digital provider, Nxtbook Media. If you can show proof of your subscription purchase, we will provide you with access to our content on the Nxtbook platform — just send your subscription receipt to skytelinvoices@....  

Kent Blackwell

Ted, oh how I agree about Orion's wonderful folding Deep Map 600 booklet, and also their Double Stars 600 booklet as well. I have a copy hanging inside my "roving observatory", one kept in the house for armchair reading and one in my carry-with me observing bag. I also like S&T Pocket Star Atlas, especially the Pocket Star Atlas Jumbo version, which is considerably easier to read. I might point out that I'd have to have mighty big butt to put that sucker in my back pocket!

jimcoble2000

I like the Jumbo too. Perfect for small scope users. I pen in stuff that they don't cover frequently. I like the atlas because it gives me a bigger picture. I do have a sky atlas but don't user it as much anymore though It is certainly good. I have the black page one and it does work well in the field.

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 2:31:41 PM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

Ted, oh how I agree about Orion's wonderful folding Deep Map 600 booklet, and also their Double Stars 600 booklet as well. I have a copy hanging inside my "roving observatory", one kept in the house for armchair reading and one in my carry-with me observing bag. I also like S&T Pocket Star Atlas, especially the Pocket Star Atlas Jumbo version, which is considerably easier to read. I might point out that I'd have to have mighty big butt to put that sucker in my back pocket!