My 2021 S&T articles

Ted Forte

Please forgive me a bit of shameless self-promotion.

I just received my advance copies of the January 2021 Sky &Telescope which includes my article: “Winter’s Galaxy Groups “ (Head off the beaten path to expand your January observing list).

That will be closely followed by my contribution to the March 2021 issue titled: “Springtime blossoms – a tour of Planetary Nebulae.”

I’ll have one more piece in 2021 – the September “Going Deep” column will be mine.

I don’t know about you, but I sense a real effort toward revitalization of S&T now that it has become a publication of the American Astronomical Society.   For better or worse, there is a new respect for changes in the hobby too.  There will be a new column that alternates every other month between something called “Suburban Stargazer”  by Ken Hewitt-White that will focus on what you can do from the light polluted suburbs and “First Exposure” (multiple authors) which is advice for the nascent astro-photographer.  Also new in the new year is “Pro-Am Conjunction”  by Diana Hannikainen that will report on professional/amateur collaborations.

And in case you didn’t know, astronomy club  members can subscribe to S&T for $32.95 (40% off of the regular $54.95 rate).

Ted

BBAA west

Ian Stewart

Good on you Ted!

On 11/29/2020 12:31 PM, Ted Forte wrote:

[...]

Roy Diffrient

Congrats Ted and thanks for the heads-up.  Looking forward to the improvements.  Now, about ATM ...

Roy

On Nov 29, 2020, at 12:31 PM, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

[...]

Kent Blackwell

I've enjoyed this hobby 50 years, and never stop learning. Ted, I like reading your articles and comparing your notes to mine . S&T has long been the standard, despite Astronomy Magazine having a larger subscription base. I agree with Roy, ATM is certainly not covered as well as observational astronomy.

I might be old but I'm computer savvy. I hardly ever (read never)  use printed star maps with such great digital maps available. But, when it comes to digital copies of S&T read on my little iPhone vs a printed magazine, well, there is no comparison. I'd much rather flip through the pages at my leisure!

Kent

jimcoble2000

And anyway you can't start a fire with your I phone or Android after you read the article.

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 9:14:42 AM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

I've enjoyed this hobby 50 years, and never stop learning. Ted, I like reading your articles and comparing your notes to mine . S&T has long been the standard, despite Astronomy Magazine having a larger subscription base. I agree with Roy, ATM is certainly not covered as well as observational astronomy.

I might be old but I'm computer savvy. I hardly ever (read never)  use printed star maps with such great digital maps available. But, when it comes to digital copies of S&T read on my little iPhone vs a printed magazine, well, there is no comparison. I'd much rather flip through the pages at my leisure!

Kent

Ted Forte

Yeah.  I’m the modern equivalent of some 15th century cleric, clinging to my scrolls and bemoaning Gutenberg’s printing press as some new-fangled abomination. Like you, Kent, in everything but star atlases, I favor the print and paper version of books and magazines. I can maybe abide a digital periodical, but I absolutely abhor the kindle book revolution. I hope to be dead or blind before the age of bound and printed books ebbs away.

While I’m a great fan of digital star maps, I’m not as divorced from printed atlases as you.  My Uranometria sits right next to my two computers on my observatory desk and I still consider Orion’s Deep Map 600 as my most indispensable accessory when I’m “in the field”.   I like the “big picture at a glance” aspect of the printed map and I use Uranometria when exploring an area of the sky with the 30. The digital map can be too confined and lead to your missing something just off the screen.  But of course, no printed atlas can provide the zoomed in accuracy of the digital planetarium programs. Used in conjunction, I feel well informed.

Oh, BTW, what’s an “iPhone”?

Ted

BBAA west