Moon map/atlas

joseph_piotrowski <joepiotrowski@cox.net>

What's the best moon atlas/map to use to explore the moon? Does the
club library have any? How about stuff from the Internet?That is if
we ever see the moon or stars again.Sigh!
Joe

twforte@...

In a message dated 2/21/03 11:19:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
joepiotrowski@cox.net writes:

<< What's the best moon atlas/map to use to explore the moon? Does the
club library have any? How about stuff from the Internet?That is if
we ever see the moon or stars again.Sigh! >>

Yes, this weather is depressing me!

Asking for the "best" anything in this hobby will evoke enough disagreement
to make the United Nations look like a mutual admiration society.

Rukl's Atlas of the Moon is very well regarded but is unfortunately out of
print. It is sometimes available on the used book market. I used the
Hatfield Photographic Lunar Atlas and found it quite easy to use and learn
from. I also found a large format fold out map of the moon by George Phillip
for just a few dollars at Barnes and Noble. I removed the map from its
binder and pasted it to a Styrofoam poster board that I could take out to the
scope. I found that to be a big help when I completed the Lunar Club
certificate.

There are several shareware/freeware moon-related software available and
dozens of sites dedicated to lunar observing. A. L. P. O. has a lunar
section on their website http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/alpo/ You might also
consider getting the league's lunar club pamphlet.

Good luck.

Ted

Dale Carey <stargaz@...>

Joe
We have a large hard back book called "Atlas of the Lunar Terminator."
It brakes down every mnt. and crater one by one.  Good way to get your
"lunar cert."  I can bring it to next meeting on the 6th or catch up with
me at home near Super K on Holland rd.
Dale

From: twforte@aol.com
To: backbayastro@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [backbayastro] Moon map/atlas
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:57:19 EST

[...]

Dale,
Thanks.I can't make the March meeting. I will be speaking at the
April meeting and would love to look at it.Since the general opinion
is that Rukl's is the best but it is out of print, the one you
mention sounds like the next best choice from what I can see on the
net.
Joe
--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Carey" <stargaz@e...>
wrote:
Joe
We have a large hard back book called "Atlas of the Lunar
Terminator."
It brakes down every mnt. and crater one by one. Good way to get
your
"lunar cert." I can bring it to next meeting on the 6th or catch
up with
me at home near Super K on Holland rd.
Dale
What's the best moon atlas/map to use to explore the moon? Does
the
club library have any? How about stuff from the Internet?That is
if
we ever see the moon or stars again.Sigh!
Joe

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.

joseph_piotrowski <joepiotrowski@cox.net>

Rob,
Thanks I've already found and down loaded it. I to sound old
because I'm not(although my teenagers think I'm neanderthalish) but
you can't beat paper(ie, books).
Joe
--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Schonk" <robschonk@h...>

From: twforte@a...
To: backbayastro@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:57:19 EST

joepiotrowski@c... writes:

[...]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Joe,

Even though Rukl's is out of print, both Rob Schonk and I obtained copies on Half.com for about $25.  You put in a "pre-order" and then wait patiently.  You may have to extend your pre-order several times.

The Cambridge Star Atlas has a couple pages on the moon's features, but probably not enough for all the objects on the Lunar Certificate.  You can buy some Moon Maps from the Astronomical League Store (either on-line or their paper catalog - contact our ALCOR, Georgie June), which are good.  They have two versions - regular and mirror-image (for the different types of scopes and inverted/reversed views or not).

When I did the Lunar Club, I used a book I got through Half.com, Observing the Moon Through Binoculars and Small Telescopes, by Ernest H. Cherrington, Jr.  This is an excellent book, and I kept it by my scope every night I worked on the Lunar Certificate.  I did not have Rukl's at that time.  I also own Atlas of the Lunar Terminator, but I don't think it's as good as Cherrington's book.  I used the original edition, but there is a 2nd edition, updated several years ago.  The one I used pre-dated the manned Lunar landings!

G3

--- In backbayastro@..., "Dale Carey"
wrote:
> Joe
> We have a large hard back book called "Atlas of the Lunar
Terminator."
> It brakes down every mnt. and crater one by one.  Good way to get
your
> "lunar cert."  I can bring it to next meeting on the 6th or catch
up with
> me at home near Super K on Holland rd.
> Dale

Service.

George Reynolds, Deputy Commander, Tidewater South Section Royal Rangers

Visit my Web page:  http://www.geocities.com/pathfinder027/spacex.html

 Member, Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA)  http://groups.hamptonroads.com/BBAA/

Do you Yahoo!?

Dale Carey <stargaz@...>

Rob
The freeware was great,  allot of info.  Keep me busy for a while.
Dale