Meade ETX 125 reborn

Kent Blackwell

I experimented with my 22 year old ETX 125 that has been in storage almost since the day I got it. It's so much nicer on the DiscMounts 4 alt/azimuth mount. The images are very good, indeed. Maybe not as good as a 5" APO refractor but at a fraction of the cost.

List: 22/06/10 ETX 125

HR 5268
(Double Star in Centaurus)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 9:50:15 PM
Comment: 2.4"
Very tight pair of yellow stars. The primary is and the secondary is
Location: Virginia Beach
Equipment: Meade ETX 125
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

3 Centauri
(Variable Double Star in Centaurus)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 9:52:27 PM
Comment: Yellow primary and a blue secondary
Location: Virginia Beach
Equipment: Meade ETX 125
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

h Centauri
(Double Star in Centaurus)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 9:53:11 PM
Comment: Bright blue-white primary and a faint blue secondary
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: 125 Meade ETX
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

HR 5386
(Double Star in Bootes)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 9:55:41 PM
Comment: 6.2"
Gorgeous double star with a one magnitude contrast
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: 125 Meade ETX
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

Rasalgethi - Alpha Her
(Variable Double Star in Hercules)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 9:59:36 PM
Comment: 4.6"
An absolute gorgeous double star. The primary is deep orange and the secondary is blue-green
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 14mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

HR 6482
(Double Star in Hercules)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 10:02:09 PM
Comment: 3.7"
Not only a fairly tight pair but magnitude contrast. The primary is 6.4 magnitude and the secondary is 9.2.
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 14mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

5 Serpentis
(Variable Double Star in Serpens)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 10:04:40 PM
Comment: 11.4"
This interesting double star lies next to M5.

The pair has considerable magnitude contrast. The primary is 5.5 magnitude and the secondary is 10.2, so the secondary is only 1/100th as bright.
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 14mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

Algorab - Delta Crv
(Variable Double Star in Corvus)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 10:18:17 PM
Comment: 24"
A 3rd magnitude pure white star and a 9th magnitude blue star, widely separated
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 14mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

VV Corvi
(Variable Double Star in Corvus)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 10:21:25 PM
Comment: A wonderful pair of stars easily separated. The primary is peach and the secondary is light green. SkySafari shows them at the wrong magnitudes and separation.
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 14mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 7

Graffias - Beta1 Sco
(Variable Double Star in Scorpius)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 10:23:54 PM
Comment: Gradfias is a real summertime delight as far as double stars go. The primary is blue-white and the secondary is deep blue
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 14mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Jabbah - Nu Sco
(Double Star in Scorpius)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 10:25:46 PM
Comment: A colorful contrasting pair. Apparently it's a triple star but I could not see the 1.2" separation pair
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 14mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

Xi Scorpii
(Double Star in Scorpius)
Observed: Jun 10, 2022 at 10:32:02 PM
Comment: A & B are very tight at 1.1", and nearly equal in magnitude. Both are yellow. I was able to split the pair with the 7mm Pentax eyepiece at 270x. I even split this pair with my 80mm TMB refractor in July 2007.

Componenslts A & C are much wider. The primary is yellow and the secondary is light blue.

Struve 1999 is also in the same field of view
Location: Virginia Beach 84% Moon SQM-L 17.82
Equipment: Meade ETX 125, 7mm Pentax
Seeing: 8
Transparency: 6

preciousmyprecious

Let's hear it for the ETX. Bruce are you reading?

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 1:03 PM, Kent Blackwell
<kent@...> wrote:
I experimented with my 22 year old ETX 125 that has been in storage almost since the day I got it. It's so much nicer on the DiscMounts 4 alt/azimuth mount. The images are very good, indeed. Maybe not as good as a 5" APO refractor but at a fraction of the cost.

List: 22/06/10 ETX 125

[...]

Jeff Goldstein

Kent,  I totally agree.  For a 5” instrument, it’s quality is very good!  Too bad the plastic gears and drive are cheapo!

Jeff G