Lunar II program

George Reynolds

I am currently working on the Lunar II observing program of the Astronomical League. I am thankful that we have been having clear skies regularly, because I need to see lunar features as they emerge out of darkness and enter the daylight portion of the Moon, beyond the terminator. I have been using my correct-image 80mm refractor some, with a zoom eyepiece, but my "workhorse" scope has been my new Orion Starblast 6i. I am getting used to the reversed, inverted image of the Moon. That scope has a really good mirror, and gives extremely clear images of features on the Moon. I have been consistently using the 25mm ep with a 2x Barlow lens, for 60x, and often exchanging the 25 for my 14mm Pentax ep, or my 7-22mm zoom ep, for up to 107x. Anything higher, and focusing gets to be a problem, as does vibration and the apparent speed of the lunar surface across the field of view.