Lunar Eclipse of 11/19/2021

Roy Diffrient

The almost totally eclipsed moon was totally beautiful this morning. In my 15X70 bino’s, the diamond ring in ashen light effect was a wonderful memory. What I did not remember from my Sky Safari simulations was how close the maximally eclipsed moon was to the Pleiades (about 6°) – I’m sure some photographers will do that image, and that’s another great memory.

The sky was perfectly clear here at 4:00 AM. I had concerns about clouds and we had rain until midnight or so, exactly per the last forecast. Amazing how accurate the “now-cast” can be! It was cold (37°) and windy on the hill I traveled to – too many trees in the way at home – so I didn’t hang around for the whole event. But I’m glad I did it.

The attached Nikon P610 shot was at 4:04 AM, within a few seconds of max eclipse. But I thought the view through the bino’s was much better.

Uncle Roy, I hurtz this morning.

On Friday, November 19, 2021, 06:09:24 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

The almost totally eclipsed moon was totally beautiful this morning.  In my 15X70 bino’s, the diamond ring in ashen light effect was a wonderful memory.  What I did not remember from my Sky Safari simulations was how close the maximally eclipsed moon was to the Pleiades (about 6°) – I’m sure some photographers will do that image, and that’s another great memory.

The sky was perfectly clear here at 4:00 AM.  I had concerns about clouds and we had rain until midnight or so, exactly per the last forecast.  Amazing how accurate the “now-cast” can be!  It was cold  (37°) and windy on the hill I traveled to – too many trees in the way at home – so I didn’t hang around for the whole event.  But I’m glad I did it.

The attached Nikon P610 shot was at 4:04 AM, within a few seconds of max eclipse.  But I thought the view through the bino’s was much better.

I agree Roy visual was better!

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley <https://www.darkskiescolorado.org/>
Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers <http://www.backbayastro.org/>
Member – San Diego Astronomy Association <https://sdaa.org/>
Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association <https://csastro.org/>
Future Verde Mont Observatory <http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/sangre.shtml>
Gone... Rott'n Paws Observatory <http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap_obs_1.shtml>

On 11/19/21, 4:09 AM, "Roy Diffrient" <BackBayAstro@groups.io on behalf of mail@farparsecs.com> wrote:

The almost totally eclipsed moon was totally beautiful this morning. In my 15X70 bino’s, the diamond ring in ashen light effect was a wonderful memory. What I did not remember from my Sky Safari simulations was how close the maximally eclipsed moon was to the Pleiades (about 6°) – I’m sure some photographers will do that image, and that’s another great memory.

The sky was perfectly clear here at 4:00 AM. I had concerns about clouds and we had rain until midnight or so, exactly per the last forecast. Amazing how accurate the “now-cast” can be! It was cold (37°) and windy on the hill I traveled to – too many trees in the way at home – so I didn’t hang around for the whole event. But I’m glad I did it.

The attached Nikon P610 shot was at 4:04 AM, within a few seconds of max eclipse. But I thought the view through the bino’s was much better.

*v/r*

*v/r*

*Chuck Jagow*

*Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley ( https://www.darkskiescolorado.org/ )*

*Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers ( http://www.backbayastro.org/ )*

*Member – San Diego Astronomy Association ( https://sdaa.org/ )*

*Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association ( https://csastro.org/ )*

*Future* *Verde Mont Observatory ( http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/sangre.shtml )*

*Gone...* *Rott'n Paws Observatory ( http://www.jagowds.com/_jap/jap_obs_1.shtml )*

Roy Diffrient

Glad you weren’t totally clouded out, Chuck.

Roy

On Nov 19, 2021, at 11:03 AM, charles jagow <chuck@jagowds.com> wrote:

[...]

jimcoble2000

Ah, The Right Honorable Lord Jagow DSWMV, BBAA, SDAA, CSAA, VMO and late of the Queen's RPO

Our man on the frontier.