Lunar Eclipse


Kent Blackwell
 

Although not my best eclipse exposure I like this one best because it shows the double star HR 5756 just before being occulted. The primary is 6.3 magnitude, and the secondary is 8.9. 
Of course, with the moon I didn't need any guidance on the mount. However, being a 4-second exposure at 800mm polar alignment was necessary. The problem being it was mostly cloudy to the north, so I just "guessed" at polar alignment.

Dr. Rober Hitt, director of the Chesapeake Planetarium thanks you all for attending. It was a thrill to watch such an event with so many whom have never seen a total lunar eclipse. 

TMB 100 f/8
Vixen SP-D2 mount with a very old in the tooth (but dependable and easy to use) SkySensor 2000 controller.
Canon 60Da DSLR
4-seconds exposure
ISO 400
12:05 am May 16


Ian Stewart
 

Lovely! Clouded out here.
Cheers
Ian


On May 16, 2022, at 1:31 PM, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

Although not my best eclipse exposure I like this one best because it shows the double star HR 5756 just before being occulted. The primary is 6.3 magnitude, and the secondary is 8.9. 
Of course, with the moon I didn't need any guidance on the mount. However, being a 4-second exposure at 800mm polar alignment was necessary. The problem being it was mostly cloudy to the north, so I just "guessed" at polar alignment.

Dr. Rober Hitt, director of the Chesapeake Planetarium thanks you all for attending. It was a thrill to watch such an event with so many whom have never seen a total lunar eclipse. 

TMB 100 f/8
Vixen SP-D2 mount with a very old in the tooth (but dependable and easy to use) SkySensor 2000 controller.
Canon 60Da DSLR
4-seconds exposure
ISO 400
12:05 am May 16 IMG_1724 Crop and star occult_tn.jpg


Shawn Loescher
 

That's a great shot Kent! Can you email me the full resolution copy so I can use it on the event report for the NSN and social media? Thank Robert for me. I always enjoy events that the Chesapeake Planetarium holds.


jimcoble2000
 

i agree. nice

On Monday, May 16, 2022, 01:31:24 PM EDT, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:


Although not my best eclipse exposure I like this one best because it shows the double star HR 5756 just before being occulted. The primary is 6.3 magnitude, and the secondary is 8.9. 
Of course, with the moon I didn't need any guidance on the mount. However, being a 4-second exposure at 800mm polar alignment was necessary. The problem being it was mostly cloudy to the north, so I just "guessed" at polar alignment.

Dr. Rober Hitt, director of the Chesapeake Planetarium thanks you all for attending. It was a thrill to watch such an event with so many whom have never seen a total lunar eclipse. 

TMB 100 f/8
Vixen SP-D2 mount with a very old in the tooth (but dependable and easy to use) SkySensor 2000 controller.
Canon 60Da DSLR
4-seconds exposure
ISO 400
12:05 am May 16


Tony Mascolo
 

Hello Kent,

Hope you are well.

Wonderful shot. 

Only shots I have are with a cell phone over the eyepiece.  ISO uptemillion, image only good at postage stamp size.  Would not focus to save its life.

Barely focused Example: (and no, you don't want to see it bigger, it is NOISY!!



Later,

Tony


Tony Mascolo
 

Hey Kent,

Do you have the RAW file of your shot?  I would love to run it through PhotoLab and see what can be eeked out of the image.

Send it to tsmascolo@... if you are OK with me running it through PhotoLab, will post result here.

Later,

Tony


George Astronomer
 

Hi everyone. Let me share my picture of the Lunar Eclipse from the last night. I’m so happy I could get this shot through as small “window” in clouds.


George K.


Jim Tallman
 

Nice shot George! 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android


jimcoble2000
 

Where was Jim Tallman?

On Monday, May 16, 2022, 04:50:01 PM EDT, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:


Nice shot George! 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android


cme2scrap
 

Great picture, George. It was too cloudy in Northern Virginia.


On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 3:58 PM, George Astronomer
<tolkiengeorge@...> wrote:
Hi everyone. Let me share my picture of the Lunar Eclipse from the last night. I’m so happy I could get this shot through as small “window” in clouds.


George K.


Jim Tallman
 

Sleeping 😎. Long drive back from PA. Sunday 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android


jimcoble2000
 

what are we going to do with you?

On Tuesday, May 17, 2022, 05:46:47 AM EDT, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:


Sleeping 😎. Long drive back from PA. Sunday 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android


Paul
 

That’s awesome, George! Love the stars and the faint wisp of the clouds. Nice shot!

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 3:58 PM George Astronomer <tolkiengeorge@...> wrote:
Hi everyone. Let me share my picture of the Lunar Eclipse from the last night. I’m so happy I could get this shot through as small “window” in clouds.


George K.