lazy

preciousmyprecious

I am too lazy to hunt down most DSOs nowadays. How can I add encoders and a locating function to my XT 8?

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

bob414

I suggest buying a used orion intelliscope 8”, select the best ota/mirror and sell the rest.

Bob

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of preciousmyprecious via groups.io
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 11:50 AM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] lazy

I am too lazy to hunt down most DSOs nowadays. How can I add encoders and a locating function to my XT 8?

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

charles jagow

There is a company that makes a kit to turn regular dobs into “push to” telescopes.  I had one on a 10” dob, however I do not believe it is any where as robust or easy to use as an Intelliscope.  Orion sells a “kit” to turn a 6” Starblast into a 6” Intelliscope for about $200.  It includes the encoders, the controller and cables for the 6” scope.  It may be able to be adapted to the regular Dobsonian however you would have to acquire make LONGER interconnection cables, do some drilling and stuff to make it fit.

OR, buy a used Intelliscope on Astromart or Cloudy Nights and keep whichever mirror is best and sell the unused stuff.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of bob414 <bob414@...>
Reply-To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2022 at 10:22 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] lazy

I suggest buying a used orion intelliscope 8”, select the best ota/mirror and sell the rest.

Bob

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of preciousmyprecious via groups.io

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

--

v/r

v/r

Chuck Jagow

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

preciousmyprecious

Thank you Chuck. The kit for the starblast does not seem to include an azmuth encoder. Do you still have that extra azmuth encoder I included with the 10"? Or was it an extra altitude. 

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Friday, June 3, 2022, 01:54:31 PM EDT, charles jagow <chuck@...> wrote:

There is a company that makes a kit to turn regular dobs into “push to” telescopes.  I had one on a 10” dob, however I do not believe it is any where as robust or easy to use as an Intelliscope.  Orion sells a “kit” to turn a 6” Starblast into a 6” Intelliscope for about $200.  It includes the encoders, the controller and cables for the 6” scope.  It may be able to be adapted to the regular Dobsonian however you would have to acquire make LONGER interconnection cables, do some drilling and stuff to make it fit.

OR, buy a used Intelliscope on Astromart or Cloudy Nights and keep whichever mirror is best and sell the unused stuff.

Bob

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

charles jagow

Nope, long gone - could have used it to repair my 6” starblast intelliscope I bought off of cloudy nights. I ended up buying that kit from Orion, I am pretty sure it had two encoder boards, two encoder disks and all the cables and hardware , I could be wrong though, after all I am a shiftless retired govt worker now…

Easiest would be to buy a used intelliscope off the Internet and then keep which ever one had the best mirror set

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Jun 3, 2022, at 13:09, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Thank you Chuck. The kit for the starblast does not seem to include an azmuth encoder. Do you still have that extra azmuth encoder I included with the 10"? Or was it an extra altitude. 

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Bob

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

preciousmyprecious

Hard to find since not made anymore

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 4:48 PM, charles jagow
<chuck@...> wrote:
Nope, long gone - could have used it to repair my 6” starblast intelliscope I bought off of cloudy nights. I ended up buying that kit from Orion, I am pretty sure it had two encoder boards, two encoder disks and all the cables and hardware , I could be wrong though, after all I am a shiftless retired govt worker now…

Easiest would be to buy a used intelliscope off the Internet and then keep which ever one had the best mirror set

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Jun 3, 2022, at 13:09, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Bob

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

charles jagow

They still make them.  Orion has changed their sales/marketing process. It is not in their online catalog UNTIL they have a boat load inbound from China and have some for sale.  Scarcity in acquiring  microchips and stock in general have forced their hand.  

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

On Jun 3, 2022, at 5:15 PM, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Hard to find since not made anymore

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 4:48 PM, charles jagow
<chuck@...> wrote:

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Bob

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

Tony Mascolo

Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

This new sales/marketing is very annoying.  People are getting very confused about items that are no longer showing up on the website and thinking they are discontinued.  If you call them they just say that it is still a current product, but we can't get any of them so we took it off the website.

As an example if you search for the Orion XX12G goto truss dobsonian it is not listed on Orion's website, however, if you call them it is still a current product, just unavailable.

I wish they would just put out of stock until further notice, or backordered without a date and still leave the information page up.  It just looks bad the way they are doing this.

Later,

Tony

Roy Diffrient

Tony, I agree completely — Roy

On Jun 3, 2022, at 8:12 PM, Tony Mascolo <tsmascolo@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

This new sales/marketing is very annoying.  People are getting very confused about items that are no longer showing up on the website and thinking they are discontinued.  If you call them they just say that it is still a current product, but we can't get any of them so we took it off the website.

As an example if you search for the Orion XX12G goto truss dobsonian it is not listed on Orion's website, however, if you call them it is still a current product, just unavailable.

I wish they would just put out of stock until further notice, or backordered without a date and still leave the information page up.  It just looks bad the way they are doing this.

Later,

Tony

preciousmyprecious

Here is what Orion sent me

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 8:12 PM, Tony Mascolo
<tsmascolo@...> wrote:
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Later,

Tony

Tony Mascolo

Yeah.  One thing I have never liked about Orion is their non-transferable warranty, and their complete unwillingness to even service items for anyone other than the original purchaser of that item.  I just don't understand that policy.  You can't even pay them to fix it, they won't.

Later,

Tony

jimcoble2000

Remember Orion is a distributor and not so much a manufacturer though. They did have a good help desk at one time. Relationships with China are at a low point not even counting shipping issues.

Getting any company to fix a scope (especially mass made imports), unless it is a small company like Televue, is really impossible. I doubt Texas Nautical fixes Takahashi telescopes themselves. If it is sent back to Japan, which is most likely, you may be in for a long wait to get it back. Everything has a price point also.

Televue has always been superb about servicing. But they are a small family business. I sent my 4 inch back for refurbishment to clean the inner element. They did a bang up job and rebuilt the focuser which had seemed fine from my perspective. But as thing go who knows how long that may continue? As the driving personalities age or die there is often no one to take up the reigns. Al Nagler's son is involved there but many small cottage industries are going extinct or are on death's bed with delays and parts acquisition.

Moonlight does not even make manual focusers anymore and lead times are 1 year plus if you ever hear back from them.

There is another famous brand, which I have agreed not to discuss for certain reasons, that most likely is having the tombstone carved as we speak.

TMB died when Thomas Back died. LZOS glass is no longer available anyways. Servo cat is a dead cat. Try getting an astrophysics in one lifetime.

On Saturday, June 4, 2022 at 09:00:06 PM EDT, Tony Mascolo <tsmascolo@...> wrote:

Yeah.  One thing I have never liked about Orion is their non-transferable warranty, and their complete unwillingness to even service items for anyone other than the original purchaser of that item.  I just don't understand that policy.  You can't even pay them to fix it, they won't.

Later,

Tony

jimcoble2000

I thought they had dropped their whole line of Intelliscopes. That is what someone told me. I need to look at their current catalog. But my last posting applies I guess.

I wrote a personal note to a couple of friends on what I thought the future was looking like for amateur astronomy but did not want to post it publicly as it was a bit cranky.

On Saturday, June 4, 2022 at 09:25:33 AM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Here is what Orion sent me

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 8:12 PM, Tony Mascolo
<tsmascolo@...> wrote:
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Later,

Tony

jimcoble2000

yeah a lot of sites are in this boat.

On Friday, June 3, 2022 at 10:23:09 PM EDT, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Tony, I agree completely — Roy

On Jun 3, 2022, at 8:12 PM, Tony Mascolo <tsmascolo@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Later,

Tony

jimcoble2000

Bill due to the design I don't think you can. I could be wrong though. The Intelliscopes base and mounting is quite different for the non setting circle base. I doubt they can be retrofitted.

On Friday, June 3, 2022 at 11:49:48 AM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Tony Mascolo

Edited

Hello Bill,

Hope you are well.

Since Orion is no help, I would suggest putting an Argo Navis on it.  Wild Card Innovations has kits for both the Orion XT 8 and the XT 8 Plus.  From their online purchase page it looks like around $687.67 including shipping with all of the encoder and mount hardware and the Argo Navis Computer itself, plus serial cable, USB Serial adapter, and a DC power cable.  You would only need the extra communication stuff if you are going to hook up to a laptop.  I have used Argo Navis in the past and liked it quite a bit.

Link to Argo Navis Orion XT 8 Page

Other option is to sell the XT 8 and buy a Skywatcher Flextube 200P SynScan GoTo Dob.  You would gain tracking and goto, instead of just push to with the Argo Navis option above.  Of course more money, $1,450 for the Skywatcher vs $687.67 for the Argo Navis kit for your current telescope.

Another good thing about the Argo Navis option is you can get kits for other telescopes and use the Argo Navis computer on multiple telescopes.

Later,

Tony

preciousmyprecious

Thank you Tony!

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Sunday, June 5, 2022, 12:52:06 PM EDT, Tony Mascolo <tsmascolo@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello Bill,

Hope you are well.

Since Orion is no help, I would suggest putting an Argo Navis on it.  Wild Card Innovations has kits for both the Orion XT 8 and the XT 8 Plus.  From their online purchase page it looks like around $687.67 including shipping with all of the encoder and mount hardware and the Argo Navis Computer itself, plus serial cable, USB Serial adapter, and a DC power cable.  You would only need the extra communication stuff if you are going to hook up to a laptop.  I have used Argo Navis in the past and liked it quite a bit.

Link to Argo Navis Orion XT 8 Page

Other option is to sell the XT 8 and buy a Skywatcher Flextube 200P SynScan GoTo Dob.  You would gain tracking and goto, instead of just push to with the Argo Navis option above.  Of course more money, $1,450 for the Skywatcher vs $687.67 for the Argo Navis kit for your current telescope.

Another good thing about the Argo Navis option is you can get kits for other telescopes and use the Argo Navis computer on multiple telescopes.

Later,

Tony

Jim Tallman

Lol.. heard that nickel burp!!!. That would be a bit pricey for me too Bill :-) might as well buy a new one

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

Tony Mascolo

Hello Bill,

No problem.

Second option.  Lots of box wine at viewing with Kent and switch out your XT 8 for his Intelliscope.  He doesn't need computer pointing anyhow...lol!!

Later,

Tony

preciousmyprecious

Cunning! 

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Sunday, June 5, 2022, 08:52:56 PM EDT, Tony Mascolo <tsmascolo@...> wrote:

Hello Bill,

No problem.

Second option.  Lots of box wine at viewing with Kent and switch out your XT 8 for his Intelliscope.  He doesn't need computer pointing anyhow...lol!!

Later,

Tony