From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of preciousmyprecious via groups.io
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 11:50 AM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] lazy

I am too lazy to hunt down most DSOs nowadays. How can I add encoders and a locating function to my XT 8?

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

charles jagow

There is a company that makes a kit to turn regular dobs into “push to” telescopes.  I had one on a 10” dob, however I do not believe it is any where as robust or easy to use as an Intelliscope.  Orion sells a “kit” to turn a 6” Starblast into a 6” Intelliscope for about $200.  It includes the encoders, the controller and cables for the 6” scope.  It may be able to be adapted to the regular Dobsonian however you would have to acquire make LONGER interconnection cables, do some drilling and stuff to make it fit.

OR, buy a used Intelliscope on Astromart or Cloudy Nights and keep whichever mirror is best and sell the unused stuff.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of bob414 <bob414@...>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2022 at 10:22 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] lazy

I suggest buying a used orion intelliscope 8”, select the best ota/mirror and sell the rest.

Bob

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of bob414 <bob414@...>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2022 at 10:22 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

I suggest buying a used orion intelliscope 8”, select the best ota/mirror and sell the rest.

Bob

I am too lazy to hunt down most DSOs nowadays. How can I add encoders and a locating function to my XT 8?

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

charles jagow

Nope, long gone - could have used it to repair my 6” starblast intelliscope I bought off of cloudy nights. I ended up buying that kit from Orion, I am pretty sure it had two encoder boards, two encoder disks and all the cables and hardware , I could be wrong though, after all I am a shiftless retired govt worker now…

Easiest would be to buy a used intelliscope off the Internet and then keep which ever one had the best mirror set

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of bob414 <bob414@...>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2022 at 10:22 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

I suggest buying a used orion intelliscope 8”, select the best ota/mirror and sell the rest.

Bob

I am too lazy to hunt down most DSOs nowadays. How can I add encoders and a locating function to my XT 8?

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

preciousmyprecious

Hard to find since not made anymore

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of bob414 <bob414@...>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2022 at 10:22 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>

I suggest buying a used orion intelliscope 8”, select the best ota/mirror and sell the rest.

Bob

I am too lazy to hunt down most DSOs nowadays. How can I add encoders and a locating function to my XT 8?

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

charles jagow

They still make them.  Orion has changed their sales/marketing process. It is not in their online catalog UNTIL they have a boat load inbound from China and have some for sale.  Scarcity in acquiring  microchips and stock in general have forced their hand.

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of bob414 <bob414@...>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2022 at 10:22 AM
To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>