Last Night's Viewing

Ian Stewart

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) was Herschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

jimcoble2000

May I suggest the Martini for observing? Excellent for clarity.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:58:35 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) was Herschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

Bird Taylor

Hey Mark,

I totally concur. I’ve followed your wise guidance and have made the lavender simple syrup so that I can make your wonderful lavender martini. OMG. Life on the back deck in the middle of a Covid pandemic sipping a freshly made lavender martini with the AstroPub on the back deck with a pair of binoculars and a simple sky chart. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. A happy memory living day by day. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a most wise and caring AstroBuddy!!!

Clear Dark Skies,
Bird

On Sep 6, 2021, at 11:34 53, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:58:35 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Ian Stewart

Hey Mark, much as I have tried Martini recipes I still remain a scotch and bourbon kind of guy.

On 9/6/2021 11:34 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io wrote:

Matthew Cook

Ian,
   You should try Ragged Branch Burbon.  Made local-ishly near Charlottesville. Cheers!

On Sep 6, 2021, at 14:07, Ian Stewart <ian@...> wrote:

Hey Mark, much as I have tried Martini recipes I still remain a scotch and bourbon kind of guy.

Bird Taylor

Hey Matthew & Ian,

Our family really enjoys Ironclad Bourbon that is distilled and sold near the shipyard in Newport News:

Clear Dark Skies,
Bird

On Sep 6, 2021, at 14:58 26, Matthew Cook via groups.io <lt_mrcook@...> wrote:

Ian,
   You should try Ragged Branch Burbon.  Made local-ishly near Charlottesville. Cheers!

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:58:35 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote: 

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) wasHerschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

jimcoble2000

Ha. Another happy convert. Bond would be proud of you. Not the astronomer Bond; the real one, James.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 01:56:17 PM EDT, Bird Taylor <birdtaylor@...> wrote:

Hey Mark,

I totally concur. I’ve followed your wise guidance and have made the lavender simple syrup so that I can make your wonderful lavender martini. OMG. Life on the back deck in the middle of a Covid pandemic sipping a freshly made lavender martini with the AstroPub on the back deck with a pair of binoculars and a simple sky chart. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. A happy memory living day by day. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a most wise and caring AstroBuddy!!!

Clear Dark Skies,
Bird

On Sep 6, 2021, at 11:34 53, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

jimcoble2000

You are not a Jedi yet Luke! If only we had another ECSP.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 02:07:29 PM EDT, Ian Stewart <ian@...> wrote:

Roy Diffrient

Exploring the dual meaning of AA in BBAA …

Roy

On Sep 6, 2021, at 4:36 PM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Ian Stewart

Been to their tasting room. Love the double oaked.

Cheers

Ian

On 9/6/2021 2:58 PM, Matthew Cook via groups.io wrote:
Ian,

jimcoble2000

we are powerless.........................

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 05:59:21 PM EDT, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Exploring the dual meaning of AA in BBAA …

Roy

On Sep 6, 2021, at 4:36 PM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Matthew Cook

:)

On Sep 6, 2021, at 18:14, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Been to their tasting room. Love the double oaked.

Cheers

Ian

On 9/6/2021 2:58 PM, Matthew Cook via groups.io wrote:
Ian,

Jonathan Scheetz

The Garnet star is one of my favorites.  Last night I also found a new favorite "Delta Cephei" which I guess is not a popular object since it doesn't have a "friendly" name.  But, of course it is a very important cephid.  I really liked it for the large orange primary and the brilliant blue secondary.  I think it is better than Albiero.  I've added it to my favorites list.

jimcoble2000

If you like those colors try WZ Cass.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 06:49:22 AM EDT, Jonathan Scheetz <jonathan@...> wrote:

The Garnet star is one of my favorites.  Last night I also found a new favorite "Delta Cephei" which I guess is not a popular object since it doesn't have a "friendly" name.  But, of course it is a very important cephid.  I really liked it for the large orange primary and the brilliant blue secondary.  I think it is better than Albiero.  I've added it to my favorites list.

Ted Forte

And if you like Albireo, try  iota Cancri.

Ted

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of jimcoble2000 via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 5:37 AM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] Last Night's Viewing

If you like those colors try WZ Cass.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 06:49:22 AM EDT, Jonathan Scheetz <jonathan@...> wrote:

Jonathan Scheetz

I've been working through a list of carbon stars looking for bright red ones.
I've been using this list:  https://www.go-astronomy.com/carbon-stars.php
According to my logs I looked at this one on 8/26 and didn't consider it a show piece. Maybe I didn't catch it at a good time.  I'll take another look.
Thanks.

Jonathan Scheetz

Yes.  Another bright yellow-blue pair.  I'll definitely check it out.  Plus it's in cancer - which is my sign.  The astrologer in me wants to check that out!  Just KIDDING!
Thanks.

jimcoble2000

Carbon stars are all variable stars so they change all the time. Some years quite red, some not so much. They all have letter designations that are used to denote variables.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 11:13:31 AM EDT, Jonathan Scheetz <jonathan@...> wrote:

According to my logs I looked at this one on 8/26 and didn't consider it a show piece. Maybe I didn't catch it at a good time.  I'll take another look.
Thanks.

Richard W Roberts

True.

These stars are pulsating radially. When they are at minimum light, their stellar envelope is more extended then when they are at maximum light. This means they have a low surface temperature at minimum light and thus will present a redder color than when at max.

WZ Cas is in the AAVSO’s LPV program. It’s a pretty interesting star with an unusual spectra.

Rich Roberts (RRIA)

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io [mailto:BackBayAstro@groups.io] On Behalf Of jimcoble2000 via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 11:23 AM

Carbon stars are all variable stars so they change all the time. Some years quite red, some not so much. They all have letter designations that are used to denote variables.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 11:13:31 AM EDT, Jonathan Scheetz <jonathan@...> wrote:

Thanks.

jimcoble2000

I think a current example of this variability is Eta Cassiopeia. Often it is an intense orange but I was looking at it last night and it seems much less intensely colored. I often use this star as an eye warm up so have a fair amount of subjective observation over time. R Lep is also a good winter example. Each year we look to see what the winter brings us color wise on R Lep.

If I am not mistaken the cooler temperatures of these stars allow more complex molecules to exist in the stellar atmosphere than very hot stars such as Sirius or Vega where primarily hydrogen lines dominate. I have looked at the spectra of Vega and Betelgeuse and the difference is marked.

Last year's Betelgeuse was the most fun variation of a star I can recall. EmojiEmoji

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 11:41:05 AM EDT, Richard W Roberts <richard.w.roberts@...> wrote:

True.

These stars are pulsating radially. When they are at minimum light, their stellar envelope is more extended then when they are at maximum light. This means they have a low surface temperature at minimum light and thus will present a redder color than when at max.

WZ Cas is in the AAVSO’s LPV program. It’s a pretty interesting star with an unusual spectra.

Rich Roberts (RRIA)

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io [mailto:BackBayAstro@groups.io] On Behalf Of jimcoble2000 via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 11:23 AM

Thanks.