Last Night's Viewing

Ian Stewart

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) was Herschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

jimcoble2000

May I suggest the Martini for observing? Excellent for clarity.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:58:35 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) was Herschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

Bird Taylor

Hey Mark,

I totally concur. I’ve followed your wise guidance and have made the lavender simple syrup so that I can make your wonderful lavender martini. OMG. Life on the back deck in the middle of a Covid pandemic sipping a freshly made lavender martini with the AstroPub on the back deck with a pair of binoculars and a simple sky chart. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. A happy memory living day by day. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a most wise and caring AstroBuddy!!!

Clear Dark Skies,
Bird

On Sep 6, 2021, at 11:34 53, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

May I suggest the Martini for observing? Excellent for clarity.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:58:35 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) was Herschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

Ian Stewart

Hey Mark, much as I have tried Martini recipes I still remain a scotch and bourbon kind of guy.

On 9/6/2021 11:34 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io wrote:
May I suggest the Martini for observing? Excellent for clarity.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:58:35 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) was Herschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

Matthew Cook

Ian,
   You should try Ragged Branch Burbon.  Made local-ishly near Charlottesville. Cheers!

On Sep 6, 2021, at 14:07, Ian Stewart <ian@...> wrote:

Hey Mark, much as I have tried Martini recipes I still remain a scotch and bourbon kind of guy.

On 9/6/2021 11:34 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io wrote:
May I suggest the Martini for observing? Excellent for clarity.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:58:35 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) was Herschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

Bird Taylor

Hey Matthew & Ian,

Our family really enjoys Ironclad Bourbon that is distilled and sold near the shipyard in Newport News:

Clear Dark Skies,
Bird

On Sep 6, 2021, at 14:58 26, Matthew Cook via groups.io <lt_mrcook@...> wrote:

[...]

Ha. Another happy convert. Bond would be proud of you. Not the astronomer Bond; the real one, James.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 01:56:17 PM EDT, Bird Taylor <birdtaylor@...> wrote:

[...]

You are not a Jedi yet Luke! If only we had another ECSP.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 02:07:29 PM EDT, Ian Stewart <ian@...> wrote:

Hey Mark, much as I have tried Martini recipes I still remain a scotch and bourbon kind of guy.

On 9/6/2021 11:34 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io wrote:
May I suggest the Martini for observing? Excellent for clarity.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:58:35 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

Took a break from imaging last night and setup the 5inch refractor. Seeing was just OK but still enjoyable. Planets were good, tons of milky way objects to look at but the star for me last night (no pun intended) was Herschel's Garnet Star. For some reason it seemed so much redder and brighter than usual. It may have been the wee dram of scotch too. Nonetheless a wonderful evening under the stars.

Roy Diffrient

Exploring the dual meaning of AA in BBAA …

Roy

On Sep 6, 2021, at 4:36 PM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

[...]

Been to their tasting room. Love the double oaked.

Cheers

Ian

On 9/6/2021 2:58 PM, Matthew Cook via groups.io wrote:
[...]

we are powerless.........................

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 05:59:21 PM EDT, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

[...]

:)

On Sep 6, 2021, at 18:14, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Scheetz

The Garnet star is one of my favorites.  Last night I also found a new favorite "Delta Cephei" which I guess is not a popular object since it doesn't have a "friendly" name.  But, of course it is a very important cephid.  I really liked it for the large orange primary and the brilliant blue secondary.  I think it is better than Albiero.  I've added it to my favorites list.

jimcoble2000

If you like those colors try WZ Cass.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 06:49:22 AM EDT, Jonathan Scheetz <jonathan@...> wrote:

The Garnet star is one of my favorites.  Last night I also found a new favorite "Delta Cephei" which I guess is not a popular object since it doesn't have a "friendly" name.  But, of course it is a very important cephid.  I really liked it for the large orange primary and the brilliant blue secondary.  I think it is better than Albiero.  I've added it to my favorites list.

Ted Forte

And if you like Albireo, try  iota Cancri.

Ted