Last Night

Ian Stewart

A beautiful evening last night or at least until the moon came up and the clouds rolled in. Early on the seeing and transparency were very good. Saturn held up well to about 250x. I spent some time roaming the milky way from Sagittarius up to Cassiopeia. Caroline's Rose was stunning last night. The seeing made for some nice doubles observing in Cas. Achird (Eta Cas) was gorgeous. You could really see the color difference between the two stars. I managed to pick out the third star in Iota Cas - or at least I think I did :-) STF163 was great - easy to split and a nice color difference between the pair. Didn't much of a look at Jupiter as the haze rolled in and the moon came up ... Cheers Ian

Roy Diffrient

Exactly the same weather up here in Maryland.  Thanks, Ian – nice report.

Roy

On Sep 14, 2022, at 1:21 PM, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

A beautiful evening last night or at least until the moon came up and the clouds rolled in. Early on the seeing and transparency were very good. Saturn held up well to about 250x. I spent some time roaming the milky way from Sagittarius up to Cassiopeia. Caroline's Rose was stunning last night. The seeing made for some nice doubles observing in Cas. Achird (Eta Cas) was gorgeous. You could really see the color difference between the two stars. I managed to pick out the third star in Iota Cas - or at least I think I did :-) STF163 was great - easy to split and a nice color difference between the pair. Didn't much of a look at Jupiter as the haze rolled in and the moon came up ... Cheers Ian

jimcoble2000

Hey Ian, try Struve 2942 in Lacerta. Red star with a close companion that looks green (though that is impossible). Interesting color effect.

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 04:32:12 PM EDT, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks will do tonight.

On 9/14/2022 5:31 PM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io wrote:

Hey Ian, try Struve 2942 in Lacerta. Red star with a close companion that looks green (though that is impossible). Interesting color effect.

Ian Stewart

Tried STF 2942 last night. Seeing wasn't great so I had a hard time splitting it. I didn't see much of a color difference. Mostly bright yellow and dim yellow. Definitely didn't see the third companion. Got a good look at the red spot last night as it was swinging away on the outer limb ... cheers Ian