Jupiter Saturn conjunction

Ted Forte

Sorry you guys were clouded out.  Here in southern Arizona, we had perfect weather. Everybody with a camera imaged it, but Max Mirot’s rendering is probably the best of the close ups.  Too bad this low res version loses the moons, but that’s life.

My wife and I have been checking the planets every night for the past week or more and last night we stayed with them from twilight until they blinked out behind the Huachuca mountains. Pretty cool.  The seeing was decent, and conditions were excellent: not too cold, no wind.  I used the 10-inch, as the 30 can’t reach that low in the west and the 18 puts the viewer too low to the ground for comfort.  The 10-inch Dob, on its extender platform is the ticket. I had a couple of minutes with a 6mm Radian, but switched to a zoom eyepiece so I could lower the power gradually as the planets became blurred by atmosphere.

Ted

BBAA Southwest

Ian Stewart

Had a near perfect night here. Well framed with my 5 inch f7.5 and an 8mm.

Cheers

Ian

On 12/22/2020 11:04 AM, Ted Forte wrote:

[...]

jimcoble2000

Emoji Sogged out here (is sogged a word?). Now for the real men and women conjunction observers the moon and Uranus Thursday night!  Kent and I will be looking at it tonight. I spent the past week looking as often as I could considering how the weather goes here.

The best conjunction story was a friend who lives in Hawaii had his first light with his new telescope a couple of days ago on this...........................then he had an earthquake and volcanic eruption just south of him.

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 11:53:02 AM EST, Ian Stewart <swampcolliecoffee@...> wrote:

[...]

Looking at the Saturn/Jupiter conjunction that is!

[...]

Matthew Cook

Two of the moons are visible near Jupiter.  Excellent shot!

On Dec 22, 2020, at 11:04, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

[...]

<Jup Sat closest Mirot.png>