James River Star Party results?

Stu Beaber

George...or anyone who went to the subject SP, how was it?

I was loaded and planned to go a year or 2 ago and the night before, a tornado went thru that area and took out all power to the state park The SP was canceled. There fore I never got to go. I know the weather was good but was it a star party or more of a out reach event?

Stu

Stu Beaber

Make that... weather was "not good" vice "good"

Stu

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM Stu Beaber via groups.io <wd4sel=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
George...or anyone who went to the subject SP, how was it?

I was loaded and planned to go a year or 2 ago and the night before, a tornado went thru that area and took out all power to the state park The SP was canceled. There fore I never got to go. I know the weather was good but was it a star party or more of a out reach event?

Stu

George Reynolds

Stu,

We astronomers were given free access to the park if we allowed campers to look through our scopes for the first couple of hours after dark, and after that, we had free rein.  Richmond Astronomical Society provided a crockpot full of chili Saturday, but it wasn't a full-blown star party.

Friday night was beautifully clear, and we had good views of the planets Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn.  We showed visitors other showpiece objects like Albireo, the Pleiades, Andromeda Galaxy, etc.  After they left we did some serious observing on our own.  I unfortunately failed to cover my three eyepieces in the rack on my scope -- my Pentax 14, 32mm wide-angle ep, and 5.2mm Lanthanum -- and when I went to use them they were totally covered with frost, and unusable!  So I made do for a few hours with just my 25mm Plossl.  I quit early, due to lack of higher power eps, and the increasing cold.  The temperature was 25 degrees when we woke up Saturday morning, and there was a heavy frost everywhere.  If you go to our BBAA Facebook group, you can see some photos of it.

Saturday night was totally overcast, so we couldn't even see Jupiter, but it was still a fun weekend.  I hope to go back there again sometime.