IOMN - International Observe the Moon NIGHTS

George Reynolds

We had a very successful two nights of observing the Moon and planets on the sidewalk in front of the Ted Constant Center (a.k.a. the Chartway Arena) for International Observe the Moon Nights.  IOMN is usually a one-night event, but this year it became a 3-day affair in conjunction with the Barry Art Museum, Old Dominion University, the Chrysler Museum, NASA, and others.

The BBAA set up ten telescopes Friday night and eleven scopes Sunday night, and hosted at least 400 visitors each of the two nights.  Saturday's outdoor skywatching was cancelled due to the rainstorm that blew through Saturday evening.

It was good to see Kent Blackwell and Dr. Robert HItt there last night.  Kent has been in pain from a double hernia, and will get surgery at the end of this month, but nothing could keep him away.  As he has already said, there was a huge 3-dimensional Moon strung across 43rd Street, made up of actual photographic images from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter and other lunar satellites.  It was an awesome sight to see!  I got pictures of the whole Moon from all sides, including the far side, which we cannot see from Earth, but which orbiting satellites can see.

Bob Hitt, director of the Chesapeake Planetarium, got to talk to Justin Mason, ODU's Planetarium director.  Last night Justin was wearing an orange astronaut jumpsuit,  so one could not miss seeing him.

Our telescope site was adjacent to the Chrysler Museum glass-blowing activity, which was very entertaining.  They had a spectacular presentation, making glass rockets, astronauts, space aliens, planets, rabbits, and for their grand finale, glass "rain".

We passed out many BBAA business cards and two large stacks of Moon maps, compliments of Dr. HItt and the Chesapeake Planetarium.  This year's IOMN was without a doubt a big success.

Matthew Cook

That sounds amazing!  Sorry to have missed it.