Huge prom on the sun today

jimcoble2000

If you don't mind melting while observing.

Kent Blackwell

The picture does not do justice to the prominence.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

If you don't mind melting while observing.

jimcoble2000

Agreed. It really is big. It is so hot I wonder if it reaches Earth???

On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 09:37:27 AM EDT, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

The picture does not do justice to the prominence.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

If you don't mind melting while observing.

charles jagow

A little hot there today?  It is currently 66 degrees and about 30% humidity here.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Kent Blackwell <kent@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 7:37 AM
To: Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...>, Roy Diffrient <mail@...>, David Wright <kd3wright@...>, <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] Huge prom on the sun today

The picture does not do justice to the prominence.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

If you don't mind melting while observing.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Thomas Gore

If interested, I just posted my animation of this morning's prom on Astrobin.

Thanks,

Tom

A little hot there today?  It is currently 66 degrees and about 30% humidity here.

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Kent Blackwell <kent@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 7:37 AM
To: Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...>, Roy Diffrient <mail@...>, David Wright <kd3wright@...>, <backbayastro@groups.io>

The picture does not do justice to the prominence.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

If you don't mind melting while observing.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Jeffrey Thornton

Looks great Thomas! Yes, the looping prominence at the 12 o'clock position is huge, but I was seeing a very bright, but smaller one in the 6 o'clock position as well. Is anyone else seeing this?

Ted Forte

Yes.  It was the first thing I saw on the sun this morning. When I first started looking, it was incredibly bright and settled down a few minutes earlier.  It took a while longer, a little tuning and magnification adjustment  to find and see the big arch to best effect.  Besides the unusually large arch-shaped prominence, I noticed  three large bar shaped prominences (including the bright one I mentioned above) and one small bar-shaped prominence. There was also a very large filament and several areas of Plage. I did not set up the white light scope but could see the sun spot groups 3068 and 3070.

Tom, the animation you sent was really cool!

Ted

BBAA Southwest

Looks great Thomas! Yes, the looping prominence at the 12 o'clock position is huge, but I was seeing a very bright, but smaller one in the 6 o'clock position as well. Is anyone else seeing this?

_._,_._,_

charles jagow

Tom, what telescope, blocking filter size, camera , etc are you using?

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Kent Blackwell <kent@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 7:37 AM
To: Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...>, Roy Diffrient <mail@...>, David Wright <kd3wright@...>, <backbayastro@groups.io>

The picture does not do justice to the prominence.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

If you don't mind melting while observing.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Thomas Gore

Hey Chuck,

When you click on the Astrobin link, it will have all the equipment listed there.

Thanks,

Tom

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Kent Blackwell <kent@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 7:37 AM
To: Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...>, Roy Diffrient <mail@...>, David Wright <kd3wright@...>, <backbayastro@groups.io>

The picture does not do justice to the prominence.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

If you don't mind melting while observing.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

charles jagow

Thanks, I did not scroll down enough

Sent from Chuck's iPhone

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Kent Blackwell <kent@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 7:37 AM
To: Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...>, Roy Diffrient <mail@...>, David Wright <kd3wright@...>, <backbayastro@groups.io>

The picture does not do justice to the prominence.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

If you don't mind melting while observing.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Ian Stewart

Wonderful animation.

On 8/2/2022 5:04 PM, Thomas Gore wrote:

If interested, I just posted my animation of this morning's prom on Astrobin.

Thanks,

Tom

jimcoble2000

Amazing isn't it? What amateurs can do now. Everything except get equipment!

On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 08:03:52 AM EDT, Ian Stewart <ian@...> wrote:

Wonderful animation.

On 8/2/2022 5:04 PM, Thomas Gore wrote:

If interested, I just posted my animation of this morning's prom on Astrobin.

Thanks,

Tom

jimcoble2000

Yes two smaller but brighter on the limb