Girl Scouts and Astronomy

George Reynolds

I just finished a 4-day online nationwide conference for the Girl Scouts Astronomy Clubs.  NASA/JPL, SETI Institute, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (ASP) sponsor an extensive astronomy outreach to Girl Scouts.  The interest and enthusiasm of those girls, not to mention their knowledge, was amazing to me.  The object is to form at least one astronomy club among the Girl Scouts in each Council area.  Our GS council is called Girl Scouts of the Colonial Coast, and covers a wide area, from Williamsburg to Franklin to Elizabeth City, North Carolina.  (And Tidewater, of course.)

I am the designated amateur astronomer to assist the club, but we are open and eager to have more of our members participate.  If you have a desire to help young ladies get interested in astronomy, and build the ranks of amateur astronomers, and possibly direct some of these girls into careers in math, science, and engineering, please let me know.  Your knowledge and expertise, along with your willingness (which is even more important) is needed, and will be
very helpful.

BTW, Jeff Goldstein, they suggested a workshop for model rocketry, and I mentioned your name.  You might become a featured event for the new Girl Scouts astronomy club.

Our local club chose the name "STAR" which is an acronym for "Sisters Teaching Astronomy Regularly".  The older girls want to help teach the younger girls, the Daisies and Brownies, about space and help them earn their astronomy badges.

Please let me know if you can help.

Jeff Goldstein

I’ll be glad to help with the rocketry side and assist with the astronomy too.  We have a nice rocket site at Heritage Park in Windsor, VA.  I’m sure it’s a relatively dark sky, although we (rocket guys) always leave before dark.  Often the cub scouts camp out there, too.

This would satisfy both venues at the same time.  I can coordinate that, too.

Sincerely,  Jeff G.