FYI – No more StellarCat soon

Roy Diffrient

I’ve received a mailing list notice that Gary Myers, head of StellarCat, is retiring, and so production of ServoCat GOTO systems will be ending soon.  But Wildcard Innovations, the Australian company that makes the Argo Navis DSC, has been planning to “seamlessly” start producing an advanced GOTO system when ServoCat ends.  However, global chip shortages are slowing that effort.

The notice I received is from the Argo Navis users group.  I just checked the ServoCat site and did not see an announcement.

 That’s terrible. The folks at Argo very nice, and great people with whom to deal.. Let’s hope they take it over if Gary’s retirement is true.

charles jagow

OH Hell!

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Roy Diffrient <mail@...>
Date: Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 9:44 PM
To: BBAA Groups Io <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] FYI – No more StellarCat soon

I’ve received a mailing list notice that Gary Myers, head of StellarCat, is retiring, and so production of ServoCat GOTO systems will be ending soon.  But Wildcard Innovations, the Australian company that makes the Argo Navis DSC, has been planning to “seamlessly” start producing an advanced GOTO system when ServoCat ends.  However, global chip shortages are slowing that effort.

The notice I received is from the Argo Navis users group.  I just checked the ServoCat site and did not see an announcement.

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Ted Forte

From Gary Myers:

- I have systems to go through this year (all dedicated to OEM's) ... but looking forward to at least a partial retirement. I'll continue with service and support. “

I’ve received a mailing list notice that Gary Myers, head of StellarCat, is retiring, and so production of ServoCat GOTO systems will be ending soon.  But Wildcard Innovations, the Australian company that makes the Argo Navis DSC, has been planning to “seamlessly” start producing an advanced GOTO system when ServoCat ends.  However, global chip shortages are slowing that effort.

The notice I received is from the Argo Navis users group.  I just checked the ServoCat site and did not see an announcement.

Really good news for present owners of ServoCat systems.  But what do you do if you have a ServoCat equipped scope on order?

Roy

On Jan 24, 2022, at 5:52 PM, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

From Gary Myers:

- I have systems to go through this year (all dedicated to OEM's) ... but looking forward to at least a partial retirement. I'll continue with service and support. “

I’ve received a mailing list notice that Gary Myers, head of StellarCat, is retiring, and so production of ServoCat GOTO systems will be ending soon.  But Wildcard Innovations, the Australian company that makes the Argo Navis DSC, has been planning to “seamlessly” start producing an advanced GOTO system when ServoCat ends.  However, global chip shortages are slowing that effort.

The notice I received is from the Argo Navis users group.  I just checked the ServoCat site and did not see an announcement.

I think that’s what he means by systems for OEM’s. He’ll probably be fulfilling what’s ordered now and not taking any more.

Ted