FYI – No more StellarCat soon

Roy Diffrient

I’ve received a mailing list notice that Gary Myers, head of StellarCat, is retiring, and so production of ServoCat GOTO systems will be ending soon.  But Wildcard Innovations, the Australian company that makes the Argo Navis DSC, has been planning to “seamlessly” start producing an advanced GOTO system when ServoCat ends.  However, global chip shortages are slowing that effort.

The notice I received is from the Argo Navis users group.  I just checked the ServoCat site and did not see an announcement.

Roy

Kent Blackwell

That’s terrible. The folks at Argo very nice, and great people with whom to deal.. Let’s hope they take it over if Gary’s retirement is true.

charles jagow

OH Hell!

From: <BackBayAstro@groups.io> on behalf of Roy Diffrient <mail@...>
Reply-To: <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Date: Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 9:44 PM
To: BBAA Groups Io <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] FYI – No more StellarCat soon

I’ve received a mailing list notice that Gary Myers, head of StellarCat, is retiring, and so production of ServoCat GOTO systems will be ending soon.  But Wildcard Innovations, the Australian company that makes the Argo Navis DSC, has been planning to “seamlessly” start producing an advanced GOTO system when ServoCat ends.  However, global chip shortages are slowing that effort.

The notice I received is from the Argo Navis users group.  I just checked the ServoCat site and did not see an announcement.

Roy

--

v/r

v/r

Chuck Jagow

Member – Dark Skies of The Wet Mountain Valley

Member - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Member – San Diego Astronomy Association

Member – Colorado Springs Astronomy Association

Future         Verde Mont Observatory

Gone...        Rott'n Paws Observatory

Ted Forte

From Gary Myers:

- I have systems to go through this year (all dedicated to OEM's) ... but looking forward to at least a partial retirement. I'll continue with service and support. “

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roy Diffrient
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2022 9:45 PM

Roy

Roy Diffrient

Really good news for present owners of ServoCat systems.  But what do you do if you have a ServoCat equipped scope on order?

Roy

On Jan 24, 2022, at 5:52 PM, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

From Gary Myers:

- I have systems to go through this year (all dedicated to OEM's) ... but looking forward to at least a partial retirement. I'll continue with service and support. “

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roy Diffrient

Roy

Ted Forte

I think that’s what he means by systems for OEM’s. He’ll probably be fulfilling what’s ordered now and not taking any more.

Ted

Sent: Monday, January 24, 2022 4:47 PM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] FYI – No more StellarCat soon

Really good news for present owners of ServoCat systems.  But what do you do if you have a ServoCat equipped scope on order?

Roy

From Gary Myers:

Roy

Roy Diffrient

If I were buying one I would certainly be thinking about it – do I stick with a system that’s on its way out, or do I go for a brand new system that’s unknown?  Or choose some other system entirely?  Glad I don’t have to make the choice.

Roy

On Jan 24, 2022, at 7:24 PM, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

I think that’s what he means by systems for OEM’s. He’ll probably be fulfilling what’s ordered now and not taking any more.

Ted

Roy

From Gary Myers:

Roy

jimcoble2000

Is there any good alternative? Not that I plan on doing any new telescopes ever again. Just curious.

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 12:06:59 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

If I were buying one I would certainly be thinking about it – do I stick with a system that’s on its way out, or do I go for a brand new system that’s unknown?  Or choose some other system entirely?  Glad I don’t have to make the choice.

Roy

Ted

Roy

From Gary Myers:

Roy

Roy Diffrient

I haven’t looked at all alternatives, and the short answer, as usual, is “it depends”.  Depends in part on what you want the system to do, what scope it’s to be on, who is to install it, and several other factors.  That said, I’ll also say that I’m happy with the system on my 28 – it’s from Sidereal Technology.  So would I recommend a SiTech system?  

It depends …

Roy

On Jan 25, 2022, at 10:16 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Is there any good alternative? Not that I plan on doing any new telescopes ever again. Just curious.

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 12:06:59 AM EST, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Roy

Ted

Roy

From Gary Myers:

Roy