FW: What Caused Betelgeuse’s Great Dimming Event

charles jagow

Some interesting stuff on our favorite super giant

From: Ed Stewart <stargazer@...>
Date: Friday, June 18, 2021 at 1:49 PM
To: Clint Smith <clintsmith5555@...>, Sam Frostman <sfrostman@...>, Bob Wolf <robertwolf@...>, Steve and Kris McAllister <smcalli@...>, Debbie Adams <custertourism3@...>, Mike Pach <mike@...>, Charlene Andres-Rohr <c.andresrohr@...>, *Jim Bradburn <jim@...>, Courtney Miller <CourtneyMillerAuthor@...>, *Steve Linderer <slinderer@...>, Ed Stewart--SkyMtn <stargazer@...>, Don Vawter <donvawter@...>, Deb Yarra <DebYarraArt@...>, Charley Ellison <charley@...>, Andrew Miller <Tiptucker@...>, Monty Lee <monty@...>, Jill Kamienski <jillkamienski@...>, Wilson Jarvis <wilsonjarvis@...>, Lennie Anderson <lennieanderson@...>, Martin Newcomb <newcombmartin@...>, Ellen Glover <gloverellen@...>, CHARLES JAGOW <chuck@...>, Lin Miller <linmiller711@...>
Subject: What Caused Betelgeuse’s Great Dimming Event

Hi all, a friend sent me this notice that some astronomers have come up with an explanation of Betelgeuse's Great Dimming:

The researchers found that Betelgeuse’s Great Dimming was caused by a dusty veil shading the star, which in turn was the result of a drop in temperature on its surface. Betelgeuse’s surface regularly changes as giant bubbles of gas move, shrink and swell within the star.

The scientists concluded that some time before the Great Dimming, the star ejected a large gas bubble that moved away from it. When a patch of the surface cooled down shortly after, that temperature decrease was enough for the gas to condense into solid dust. “We have directly witnessed the formation of stardust,” Dr. Montargès said.

sci-news.com/astronomy/dust-cloud-betelgeuse-great-dimming-09772.html

Treasurer - Back Bay Amateur Astronomers

Rott'n Paws Observatory

    N36:46:23.281 W076:13:31.512

George Reynolds

Betelgeuse "burped".

From: Ed Stewart <stargazer@...>
Date: Friday, June 18, 2021 at 1:49 PM
To: Clint Smith <clintsmith5555@...>, Sam Frostman <sfrostman@...>, Bob Wolf <robertwolf@...>, Steve and Kris McAllister <smcalli@...>, Debbie Adams <custertourism3@...>, Mike Pach <mike@...>, Charlene Andres-Rohr <c.andresrohr@...>, *Jim Bradburn <jim@...>, Courtney Miller <CourtneyMillerAuthor@...>, *Steve Linderer <slinderer@...>, Ed Stewart--SkyMtn <stargazer@...>, Don Vawter <donvawter@...>, Deb Yarra <DebYarraArt@...>, Charley Ellison <charley@...>, Andrew Miller <Tiptucker@...>, Monty Lee <monty@...>, Jill Kamienski <jillkamienski@...>, Wilson Jarvis <wilsonjarvis@...>, Lennie Anderson <lennieanderson@...>, Martin Newcomb <newcombmartin@...>, Ellen Glover <gloverellen@...>, CHARLES JAGOW <chuck@...>, Lin Miller <linmiller711@...>

[...]

jimcoble2000

Smoke gets in your eyes...........................