ETX-125

George Reynolds

Someone gave me a Meade ETX-125. I didn't have time to mess with it at the time, but today I dragged it out, cleaned it up, read the manual, plugged it in (thankfully, there were no batteries to corrode in the battery compartment), and... NOTHING! The red power light comes on and a little "beep" is heard, but nothing displays on the hand controller. I can hear a little whirring or buzzing sound coming from the scope mechanism, but no response to the controller. I unplug the controller from the HBX port and plug it back in, and I hear the "beep" again. Still nothing on the hand controller.

I turned it off and back on, another beep, same non-results. I turned it off, unplugged everything, re-plugged everything, same beep, same non-results.

Any ideas from anyone who has experience with Meade ETX or Meade hand controllers?

George

George Reynolds

VOILA! I turned it on, - nothing. I unplugged the cord from the bar of them hand controller and re-plugged it, beep. No display on the controller. Then I tried the up and down, left and right arrows, and IT MOVED! I was able to move the score up and down, side to side, but still no display on the LED (LCD?) screen of the controller. I pressed the MODE button, then the "menu down" store a couple of times, then the GOTO button, and the shipped started slewing...somewhere. it ended up pointing almost straight up, apparently at whatever it thought I requested. Maybe I need a new LED screen.

BTW, in idle mode, the scope is making those buzzing sounds, as if it is groaning.

Any suggestions!

George

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 16:50, George Reynolds via groups.io
<pathfinder027@...> wrote:
Someone gave me a Meade ETX-125. I didn't have time to mess with it at the time, but today I dragged it out, cleaned it up, read the manual, plugged it in (thankfully, there were no batteries to corrode in the battery compartment), and... NOTHING! The red power light comes on and a little "beep" is heard, but nothing displays on the hand controller. I can hear a little whirring or buzzing sound coming from the scope mechanism, but no response to the controller. I unplug the controller from the HBX port and plug it back in, and I hear the "beep" again. Still nothing on the hand controller.

I turned it off and back on, another beep, same non-results. I turned it off, unplugged everything, re-plugged everything, same beep, same non-results.

Any ideas from anyone who has experience with Meade ETX or Meade hand controllers?

George

George Reynolds

Durn! I should have proofread that last message! Several of the words were garbled by auto-select.

George

George

George Reynolds

We'll, phooey! I had to go to the store, so I turned off the scope. When I came back and turned it on, I got the "beep", but nothing else. The scope will not move like it did before. It just sits there. No groaning or buzzing, either. BTW, the beep comes from there hand controller wherever I unplug and replug something out cycle the power. Also, the red light on the controller (which is supposed to be a red flashlight) doesn't work either, when I press that button.

George

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 17:06, George Reynolds via groups.io
Durn! I should have proofread that last message! Several of the words were garbled by auto-select.

George

George

George Reynolds

More craziness!! I unplugged the controller cable from the HBX port, and the scope proceeded to go vertical, and then tried to go farther than it was intended. It sounded terrible, so I quickly hit the power button. I manually adjusted the scope, turned it back on, -- beep-- then nothing. But this time, the red flashlight works, though nothing else will!   I think I'll quit for now.

George

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 17:56, George Reynolds via groups.io
We'll, phooey! I had to go to the store, so I turned off the scope. When I came back and turned it on, I got the "beep", but nothing else. The scope will not move like it did before. It just sits there. No groaning or buzzing, either. BTW, the beep comes from there hand controller wherever I unplug and replug something out cycle the power. Also, the red light on the controller (which is supposed to be a red flashlight) doesn't work either, when I press that button.

George

George

George

Dale Carey

G3
When you get tired of messing, I'd take a shot. They work alot like my LX200, almost same controller. Sounds like alittle clean up is needed. Could have got rained on or dropped, or just
a little tlc. and adjustments. Need to take the covers off a look inside and see whats going on.
Dale

-----Original Message-----
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jul 31, 2021 6:09 pm
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] ETX-125

More craziness!! I unplugged the controller cable from the HBX port, and the scope proceeded to go vertical, and then tried to go farther than it was intended. It sounded terrible, so I quickly hit the power button. I manually adjusted the scope, turned it back on, -- beep-- then nothing. But this time, the red flashlight works, though nothing else will!   I think I'll quit for now.

George

George

George

George

Stu Beaber

might be the cable...soons like something is making intermittent, occasional contact.

Stu

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 6:14 PM Dale Carey via groups.io <vbstargazer=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
G3
When you get tired of messing, I'd take a shot. They work alot like my LX200, almost same controller. Sounds like alittle clean up is needed. Could have got rained on or dropped, or just
a little tlc. and adjustments. Need to take the covers off a look inside and see whats going on.
Dale

From: George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027=yahoo.com@groups.io>

George

<pathfinder027=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

George

George

George

Stu Beaber

"sounds" vice "soon"

Stu

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 7:10 PM Stu Beaber via groups.io <wd4sel=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
might be the cable...soons like something is making intermittent, occasional contact.

Stu

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 6:14 PM Dale Carey via groups.io <vbstargazer=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
G3
Dale

George

George

George

George

Matthew Cook

On Jul 31, 2021, at 19:12, Stu Beaber <wd4sel@...> wrote:

"sounds" vice "soon"

Stu

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 7:10 PM Stu Beaber via groups.io <wd4sel=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Stu

G3
Dale

George

George

George

George

George Reynolds

Yeah, Matt, I have a  lot of trouble with autocorrect.  I type the right words, but if I don't proofread, it comes out wrong.

George

George Reynolds

"Solar System Ambassador" for South Hampton Roads, Virginia
Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA) 
http://www.backbayastro.org

On Saturday, July 31, 2021, 08:04:40 PM EDT, Matthew Cook via groups.io <lt_mrcook@...> wrote:

On Jul 31, 2021, at 19:12, Stu Beaber <wd4sel@...> wrote:

"sounds" vice "soon"

Stu

Stu

G3
Dale

George

George

George

George

George Reynolds

I went out later, after sunset, and when I turned the scope on, the hand controller numeric and arrow keypad lit up in red, but still no display on the screen.  The red flashlight worked too, but I could not get the scope to move, nor did it make that buzzing, "groaning" noise.

It has a remote control for the focuser, which takes a 9-volt battery.  I replaced the battery and plugged in the cable, but no joy.  No focusing.  Weather was threatening so I packed the scope up and brought it inside.

George

George Reynolds

On Saturday, July 31, 2021, 06:14:26 PM EDT, Dale Carey via groups.io <vbstargazer@...> wrote:

G3
Dale

George

George

George

George

George Reynolds

Dale, this is going to be a busy week, but if I get the chance, I'll bring the scope over to your house so you can play with it.  I assume you are back now from visiting your grandchildren?

George

George Reynolds

On Saturday, July 31, 2021, 06:14:26 PM EDT, Dale Carey via groups.io <vbstargazer@...> wrote:

G3
Dale

George

George

George

George

preciousmyprecious

Hi George, as you may or may not know I have had 2 of Chuck's old ETX 125s. The first one worked quite well except for the buttons on the paddle. Hard to make contact. I cleaned the insides once in a while and that helped. I have since found replacement membranes online. During the dim times when I was broke I sold it. 

A few years later I traded Chuck for another ETX. This one worked fine till I "fixed" the buttons. It never worked again. 
The paddle is nearly all the guts and problems. 

I bought a what looks to be a new paddle on ebay for $160. It came in a Meade box with all that comes with a new one, I think. It worked like new. 
Till last week. Now it goes to Chinese characters when it feels like playing with me but only occasionally. I cleaned the contacts on the jacks- no joy. 

Best wishes with your ETX. It's a sweet little scope that this old fart can carry around. And great on planets.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Sunday, August 1, 2021, 05:16:35 PM EDT, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

Dale, this is going to be a busy week, but if I get the chance, I'll bring the scope over to your house so you can play with it.  I assume you are back now from visiting your grandchildren?

George

George Reynolds

G3
Dale

George

George

George

George

jimcoble2000

Doesn't sound so sweetEmojiEmoji

On Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 9:43:36 AM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Hi George, as you may or may not know I have had 2 of Chuck's old ETX 125s. The first one worked quite well except for the buttons on the paddle. Hard to make contact. I cleaned the insides once in a while and that helped. I have since found replacement membranes online. During the dim times when I was broke I sold it. 

A few years later I traded Chuck for another ETX. This one worked fine till I "fixed" the buttons. It never worked again. 

I bought a what looks to be a new paddle on ebay for $160. It came in a Meade box with all that comes with a new one, I think. It worked like new. 
Till last week. Now it goes to Chinese characters when it feels like playing with me but only occasionally. I cleaned the contacts on the jacks- no joy. 

Best wishes with your ETX. It's a sweet little scope that this old fart can carry around. And great on planets.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Sunday, August 1, 2021, 05:16:35 PM EDT, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

George

George Reynolds

G3
Dale

George

George

George

George

Jeff Goldstein

I think it’s a simple fix, such as the hand controller.

I can bring my hand controller to the club meeting.  Bring the 125 and try it.  Ok?

Jeff G.

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of George Reynolds via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 6:09 PM

George

George

George

George

Dale Carey

There's the expert George
DC

From: preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...>
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Aug 4, 2021 9:43 am

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

George

George Reynolds

G3
Dale

George

George

George

George

Dale Carey

There you go George

Sent: Wed, Aug 4, 2021 5:37 pm

I think it’s a simple fix, such as the hand controller.
I can bring my hand controller to the club meeting.  Bring the 125 and try it.  Ok?

Jeff G.

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of George Reynolds via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 6:09 PM

George

George

George

George