EP/filter for Veil recommendations

preciousmyprecious

I have lost track of many of my filters and EPs. 

What EP/filter combination would you recommend to view the Veil with an 8inch Dob f5.9?

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted Forte

Bill, my first selection would be the UHC, in a low power, wide field eyepiece. I find the OIII to be too dark in scopes under 10-inch aperture. Do you have an Orion Ultrablock? That will most likely perform well too. However, as always with extended emission objects – (or any object for that matter) experiment. Try what you have, borrow what you don’t, and then tell us all what worked best.

Ted

BBAA Southwest (and envious of even the chance to try the veil here immersed in monsoon cloud every night)

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of preciousmyprecious via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 6:13 AM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] EP/filter for Veil recommendations

What EP/filter combination would you recommend to view the Veil with an 8inch Dob f5.9?

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

preciousmyprecious

Thank you, Ted. I think I need a lower pwr EP. The lowest real EP I have is a TV 18mm. By real I mean 2"glass and great optics.

As for the UHC- thank you. I only have a small one. 

Daryl suggested the TV Nebustar type2. Yes big money.
Coupled with an Orion Q70 32mm

Of course a TV 35mm would be nice but I feel it's a waste spending that much $ on my weak a** eyes.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Thursday, June 30, 2022, 11:07:02 AM EDT, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Bill, my first selection would be the UHC, in a low power, wide field eyepiece. I find the OIII to be too dark in scopes under 10-inch aperture. Do you have an Orion Ultrablock? That will most likely perform well too. However, as always with extended emission objects – (or any object for that matter) experiment. Try what you have, borrow what you don’t, and then tell us all what worked best.

Ted

BBAA Southwest (and envious of even the chance to try the veil here immersed in monsoon cloud every night)

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of preciousmyprecious via groups.io

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

Troy Riedel

Bill,

I'll email you offline. I made some job aids for filter-object combination(s) that may be helpful (I have them laminated for field use).

Troy

jimcoble2000

Bill are you trying to see parts or the whole thing?

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 11:47:02 AM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Thank you, Ted. I think I need a lower pwr EP. The lowest real EP I have is a TV 18mm. By real I mean 2"glass and great optics.

Of course a TV 35mm would be nice but I feel it's a waste spending that much $ on my weak a** eyes.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

preciousmyprecious

Thank you Mark. Parts like the1.  whole broom. MOst of the 2. claw and the 3. stuff in between if I can

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:56 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io
<jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 11:47:02 AM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

jimcoble2000

Hi Bill. Of course I have seen those parts and they are not really too hard in almost any scope with UHC filter. Big scopes can show quite a lot of detail in the broom surrounding 52 Cygni (if I remember the star number correctly). Looks like woven streams. The stuff in between may be the hardest to see.

Now the real trick is to see the entire Veil in one FOV. That requires more specialized scopes. I did it (barely) with a TMB 80mm and a 35 panoptic. That is about as wide as can be gotten. A balance between light gathering and wide field, not so easy to do. I was thinking about trying it with my 4 inch but am not sure it can be done. Dark sky, wide scope, wide eyepiece, UHC filter. 

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 05:08:02 PM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Thank you Mark. Parts like the1.  whole broom. MOst of the 2. claw and the 3. stuff in between if I can

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

preciousmyprecious

Thanks Mark, yeah I really have never seen the whole complex, except in easily obtainable pics on the inter web.
I copy the general consensus is UHC and a low power wide field EP- 26 to 35 (Daryl)
Agreed: 52 Cygni is correct if memory serves. It rolls tripingly off the tongue, like Gary, Indiana.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Thursday, June 30, 2022, 06:04:12 PM EDT, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Hi Bill. Of course I have seen those parts and they are not really too hard in almost any scope with UHC filter. Big scopes can show quite a lot of detail in the broom surrounding 52 Cygni (if I remember the star number correctly). Looks like woven streams. The stuff in between may be the hardest to see.

Now the real trick is to see the entire Veil in one FOV. That requires more specialized scopes. I did it (barely) with a TMB 80mm and a 35 panoptic. That is about as wide as can be gotten. A balance between light gathering and wide field, not so easy to do. I was thinking about trying it with my 4 inch but am not sure it can be done. Dark sky, wide scope, wide eyepiece, UHC filter. 

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 05:08:02 PM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

preciousmyprecious

Could someone send me a link to an Orion UHC filter- I can't seem to find them.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Thursday, June 30, 2022, 06:04:12 PM EDT, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

jimcoble2000

Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana .......................The Music Man.

No not a song

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 10:17:01 PM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark, yeah I really have never seen the whole complex, except in easily obtainable pics on the inter web.
I copy the general consensus is UHC and a low power wide field EP- 26 to 35 (Daryl)
Agreed: 52 Cygni is correct if memory serves. It rolls tripingly off the tongue, like Gary, Indiana.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

jimcoble2000

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 10:18:42 PM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

jimcoble2000

Orion seems to be suffering from the same thing many industries have suffered from. Over reliance on China and general malaise in astronomy gear and parts.

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 10:18:42 PM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

preciousmyprecious

Aye, copy, thank you.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Thursday, June 30, 2022, 10:29:32 PM EDT, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

jimcoble2000

Rodger Dodger over and out

On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 08:27:01 AM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Aye, copy, thank you.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Thursday, June 30, 2022, 10:29:32 PM EDT, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

Ted

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

Troy Riedel

The reason Bill can't find the "Orion UHC" is because Orion doesn't call theirs a UHC ... they call it: Orion UltraBlock/Orion UltraBlock NB (Narrowband).

It's there on the web site, no supply issue.

Cheers,

Troy

jimcoble2000

The ultra block is not the same as a traditional UHC. It has a narrower band pass range. It is my favorite filter btw but it cuts out more light than a traditional UHC. Not quite as much light cutting as an OIII but close.

Truly though, even within the same class of filters as labeled, they can be quite different. The old Lumicons UHC impart an odd color hue in the green blue range to the view. The Thousand Oaks less so on the odd color. I don't have any experience with the newest generation of UHC and OIII filters.

The Baader UHC passes more of the spectrum and thus darken the view less. They are also a bit less effective than Lumicon, Thousand Oaks, or the ultra block, but for small aperture they may be the way to go where light loss becomes more critical.

I once ran all of them through a spectrograph transmitting a broad band light source.  They varied remarkably but the spectrograph showed what I allude to above. The spectrograph eliminates some of the subjective interpretations and user bias.

Results may vary by user!

On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 10:06:13 AM EDT, Troy Riedel <troy.riedel@...> wrote:

The reason Bill can't find the "Orion UHC" is because Orion doesn't call theirs a UHC ... they call it: Orion UltraBlock/Orion UltraBlock NB (Narrowband).

Cheers,

Troy

jimcoble2000

Maybe I 'd better be a little more careful when I say "traditional" UHC. That would be traditional to me but perhaps not everyone. A better term for filters overall I suspect would be broadband vs narrow band. More accurate to say there is considerable variation within the narrow band filters and within what is commonly called UHC.

Least light cutting to most:

Baader
Lumicon and Thousand Oaks
Ultrablock
OIII

Match to your use and scope.EmojiEmoji

On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 11:16:55 AM EDT, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

The ultra block is not the same as a traditional UHC. It has a narrower band pass range. It is my favorite filter btw but it cuts out more light than a traditional UHC. Not quite as much light cutting as an OIII but close.

Truly though, even within the same class of filters as labeled, they can be quite different. The old Lumicons UHC impart an odd color hue in the green blue range to the view. The Thousand Oaks less so on the odd color. I don't have any experience with the newest generation of UHC and OIII filters.

The Baader UHC passes more of the spectrum and thus darken the view less. They are also a bit less effective than Lumicon, Thousand Oaks, or the ultra block, but for small aperture they may be the way to go where light loss becomes more critical.

I once ran all of them through a spectrograph transmitting a broad band light source.  They varied remarkably but the spectrograph showed what I allude to above. The spectrograph eliminates some of the subjective interpretations and user bias.

On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 10:06:13 AM EDT, Troy Riedel <troy.riedel@...> wrote:

Cheers,

Troy

Ted Forte

I remember using your spectrograph eyepiece, Mark, with several of our filters and was surprised at how cleanly the Orion Ultrablock  cut off the red end of the spectrum as opposed to the Lumicon OIII filters that all showed significant bleed through.

I own more filters than the law should allow and still find the Lumicon UHC to be the most versatile.  I have not seen the Gen III UHC but I do own and have A-B-ed the Gen III OIII filter against older versions. The improvement is marginal and I’m not sure it can’t be attributed to just being newer. I think all filters degrade over time.  Only slightly perhaps, but I don’t see how they can avoid a loss of efficacy after years of exposure and repeated cleaning.

In my experience, it is hard to draw any real conclusions as to what filter is best for any particular circumstance. The filter that performs best tonight might be outperformed tomorrow night on the same object in the same scope at the same power. That’s  just anecdotal observation – I wouldn’t try to theorize how or why that happens, I’m only testifying that it does.

So the obvious solution is just to own every filter you can find and try them with abandon, it’s a (somewhat) free country and there are no filter police as yet.

Ted

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of jimcoble2000 via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 1, 2022 8:16 AM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] EP/filter for Veil recommendations

Cheers,

Troy

preciousmyprecious

Oooo. This is news I can use. Thanks Mark

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 1:07 PM, Ted Forte
<tedforte511@...> wrote:

I remember using your spectrograph eyepiece, Mark, with several of our filters and was surprised at how cleanly the Orion Ultrablock  cut off the red end of the spectrum as opposed to the Lumicon OIII filters that all showed significant bleed through.

I own more filters than the law should allow and still find the Lumicon UHC to be the most versatile.  I have not seen the Gen III UHC but I do own and have A-B-ed the Gen III OIII filter against older versions. The improvement is marginal and I’m not sure it can’t be attributed to just being newer. I think all filters degrade over time.  Only slightly perhaps, but I don’t see how they can avoid a loss of efficacy after years of exposure and repeated cleaning.

In my experience, it is hard to draw any real conclusions as to what filter is best for any particular circumstance. The filter that performs best tonight might be outperformed tomorrow night on the same object in the same scope at the same power. That’s  just anecdotal observation – I wouldn’t try to theorize how or why that happens, I’m only testifying that it does.

So the obvious solution is just to own every filter you can find and try them with abandon, it’s a (somewhat) free country and there are no filter police as yet.

Ted

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of jimcoble2000 via groups.io

Cheers,

Troy

jimcoble2000

Ha ha Ted you should be an equipment salesman!

Yes you were there. I agree with you the Lumicon is just about universal. You know I looked through one Gen 3 which is surely not enough to form any opinion on as I did not do a side by side comparison. Kent had the Gen 3 but which type I can't remember. It seemed to transmit light a bit more than the standard OIII but as I said I can't give an honest opinion of them. Knowing human nature, if you paid a bunch of bucks for the Gen 3 would you say it sucked under any circumstance?? Emoji

I did look at the Baader last year and was surprised to see how much came through. Now this is not bad as I use it on the 4 and 5 inch which is not a lot of aperture. It does not bring out the nebula as well as the ultrablock but the ultrablock is just on the limit for my scopes for light cutting. Forget the OIII. Maybe Kent's was a Gen 3 OIII. If that is correct it was a bit better than the old one coming close to the Ultrablock. Sounds like it is time for an updated test.

Of course the popularity of LED lighting has thrown a wrench into just about all filters it seems. Forget broadband filters.

That degrading is most likely true. For most deep sky the glass flat quality isn't too critical. For planets, solar, and the moon it makes all the difference in the world.

You certainly are right, just see what works best. Of course this means an empty wallet. You can' get a ticket.

On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 01:52:35 PM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

Oooo. This is news I can use. Thanks Mark

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 1:07 PM, Ted Forte
<tedforte511@...> wrote:

Ted

Cheers,

Troy