From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of preciousmyprecious via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 6:13 AM
To: BBAA-Group <backbayastro@groups.io>
Subject: [BackBayAstro] EP/filter for Veil recommendations

I have lost track of many of my filters and EPs.

What EP/filter combination would you recommend to view the Veil with an 8inch Dob f5.9?

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

preciousmyprecious

Thank you, Ted. I think I need a lower pwr EP. The lowest real EP I have is a TV 18mm. By real I mean 2"glass and great optics.

As for the UHC- thank you. I only have a small one.

Daryl suggested the TV Nebustar type2. Yes big money.
Coupled with an Orion Q70 32mm

Of course a TV 35mm would be nice but I feel it's a waste spending that much $ on my weak a** eyes.

Carpe Noctem
Bill McLean

On Thursday, June 30, 2022, 11:07:02 AM EDT, Ted Forte <tedforte511@...> wrote:

Bill, my first selection would be the UHC, in a low power, wide field eyepiece. I find the OIII to be too dark in scopes under 10-inch aperture. Do you have an Orion Ultrablock? That will most likely perform well too. However, as always with extended emission objects – (or any object for that matter) experiment. Try what you have, borrow what you don’t, and then tell us all what worked best.

Ted

BBAA Southwest (and envious of even the chance to try the veil here immersed in monsoon cloud every night)

I have lost track of many of my filters and EPs.

What EP/filter combination would you recommend to view the Veil with an 8inch Dob f5.9?

Carpe Noctem

Bill McLean

Troy Riedel

Bill,

I'll email you offline. I made some job aids for filter-object combination(s) that may be helpful (I have them laminated for field use).

Troy

jimcoble2000

Bill are you trying to see parts or the whole thing?

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 11:47:02 AM EDT, preciousmyprecious via groups.io <preciousmyprecious@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Mark. Parts like the1.  whole broom. MOst of the 2. claw and the 3. stuff in between if I can

Carpe Noctum
Bill McLean

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:56 AM, jimcoble2000 via groups.io
<jimcoble2000@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill. Of course I have seen those parts and they are not really too hard in almost any scope with UHC filter. Big scopes can show quite a lot of detail in the broom surrounding 52 Cygni (if I remember the star number correctly). Looks like woven streams. The stuff in between may be the hardest to see.

Now the real trick is to see the entire Veil in one FOV. That requires more specialized scopes. I did it (barely) with a TMB 80mm and a 35 panoptic. That is about as wide as can be gotten. A balance between light gathering and wide field, not so easy to do. I was thinking about trying it with my 4 inch but am not sure it can be done. Dark sky, wide scope, wide eyepiece, UHC filter.