CORRECTION Re: [BackBayAstro] Star Party in Nov

George Reynolds

CORRECTION on the dates:  5-6 November is the date of the star party, the first weekend in November.

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 11:10:22 PM EDT, George Reynolds via groups.io <pathfinder027@...> wrote:

I am planning on attending the James River State Park star party the first weekend in November, 2-3 Nov.  It is in Gladstone, Virginia, just about 30 miles north of Lynchburg, about three and a half hours from Hampton Roads.

The event is on the BBAA calendar.  If you want to attend, you should RSVP. at this link:

On Friday, October 15, 2021, 09:15:24 AM EDT, Shawn Loescher <shawn.loescher@...> wrote:

James River State Park is hosting a star party on November 5-6.  We are all welcome to attend.  Here are the particulars:

Website: https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/event?id=2021-09-29-14-22-33-394579-da6

The park has been super supportive of astronomy and we want to have a good showing of astronomers at the event if we can. James River State Park is near Gladstone, VA and is an IDA dark sky park with frequent astronomy programs. There is no charge to attend as a volunteer astronomer and camp on the observing field.
The park asks that astronomers make themselves available for a couple of hours each night just after sunset to do outreach for park visitors. There are plumbed toilets near the observing area and a shelter with limited AC power.  There is no food service at the park. Amherst is probably the nearest town of any size nearby, but there are some local convenience/gasoline stores around. Marty Liebschner, Assistant Park Manager who is leading the effort, would like someone from each club that has members who are planning to attend to send him a list of the people attending rather than have individuals contact him directly – he is not staffed to take individual reservations.
If you are interested in attending please let me know and I will forward a list of club members to Marty so he knows how many of us to expect.